Bowie at Maine Road

I hadn't realised he'd come to Maine Road on two different tours!
Went to both nights of the Glass Spider Tour as I was a steward back then.
Terence Trent D'Arby antagonised the crowd with his frequent foul-mouthed tirades which seemed to be prompted by nothing at all and Alison Moyet was neither here nor there.
I'm not the biggest Bowie fan but both shows were underwhelming IMO, with the setlist mainly then recent stuff with few old classics.
Peter Frampton was wasted on guitar and only sprang into life on All The Madmen - admittedly not the hardest thing to plat for a musician of his standing. Regretably he didn't really get to showcase his undisputed talent but then neither did Bowie.
One for the aficionados only I think.
https://www.davidbowienews.com/2019/12/david-bowie-live-maine-road-manchester-uk-july-14th-1987/

Cheers for that link pal. Agree with your comments about the gig, and TTD was probably so sweary cos I’d imagine the crowd down the front were giving him grief aplenty!

Reactions: BTH
Cheers for that link pal. Agree with your comments about the gig, and TTD was probably so sweary cos I’d imagine the crowd down the front were giving him grief aplenty!
No, what happened is a fight developed at the front of the stage. He stopped mid song to remonstrate with the fighters.
Remember him saying "I know this is a soccer / football stadium but this isnt a fucking soccer game" and he got those fighting removed, to cheers from the crowd.

No, what happened is a fight developed at the front of the stage. He stopped mid song to remonstrate with the fighters.
Remember him saying "I know this is a soccer / football stadium but this isnt a fucking soccer game" and he got those fighting removed, to cheers from the crowd.

I can remember being on the pitch at the Queen gig. All nice & relaxed whilst Quo were strumming away, and lots of ale being consumed.
Quo finish, and the crowd on the pitch gets bigger as we prepare for the headliners.
As the intro tape starts to run and the dry ice starts appearing in stage, there’s a surge forwards. My mate and I think great, we can get a better view here, but as we moved forwards, there was a parting in the crowd ahead, which part of me thought was odd, but the bigger part thought was great as we could head for it and get closer.
Only when we arrived at the point of parting with others pushing us from behind did we realise there was an enormous pool of chunder on the tarpaulin covering the pitch, which was causing mass panic and meant most of One Vision passed in a blur.

In retrospect it serves me right for going to see the apartheid boycott breaking lot in the first place I suppose.
Moral of the story, if you see a gap in the crowd which seems too good to be true, it probably is!

I went to the gig even thought was not my genre - its must have been crap because I have no recollection of being there lol

I can remember being on the pitch at the Queen gig. All nice & relaxed whilst Quo were strumming away, and lots of ale being consumed.
Quo finish, and the crowd on the pitch gets bigger as we prepare for the headliners.
As the intro tape starts to run and the dry ice starts appearing in stage, there’s a surge forwards. My mate and I think great, we can get a better view here, but as we moved forwards, there was a parting in the crowd ahead, which part of me thought was odd, but the bigger part thought was great as we could head for it and get closer.
Only when we arrived at the point of parting with others pushing us from behind did we realise there was an enormous pool of chunder on the tarpaulin covering the pitch, which was causing mass panic and meant most of One Vision passed in a blur.

In retrospect it serves me right for going to see the apartheid boycott breaking lot in the first place I suppose.
Moral of the story, if you see a gap in the crowd which seems too good to be true, it probably is!
Both of those artists played sun city the twats

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.