Bradford City Fire

Always remember leaving the pitch at Maine Road and walking to Wilmslow Road to get the 41 to Sale Moor.
Got off, got the cans in for the night and waited for the Pink to arrive.....
It arrived and then instead of City being plastered all over the front page, it shared it with the Bradford fire and how shocking it was not knowing about it...

Any Military personnel who were sent to MPA, Falkland Islands were shown a video of this tragedy as their accommodation was built of wood on stilts not dissimilar to that wooden stand. The real time footage was horrific. The small fire was treated as a bit of a joke at first with some spectators staying in situ and some even dancing around the small flames in a corner of the stand oblivious to the danger. In the next five minutes the fire engulfed the whole stand and the heat was unbearable even in the centre circle. It was a tragedy that could have happened in any number of football grounds - I thought the old Platt lane where I sat as a kid would have been the same.
No one messed around when the fire alarm sounded in the barracks.
A horrific tragedy that people who were just going to support their team should never have suffered. RIP.

Sorry I missed this but an awful awful tragedy, was unfortunate enough to have seen the whole of the videos and aftermath and it was truly horrendous, my heart goes out to all those who were affected by it, always had a huge respect for the way Bradford have mourned and respected the whole tragedy, unlike some.
R.I.P to all those who perished.

I remember coming back from Maine Road with my dad and he had bbc sport on. I was only a kid so didn't really absorb what was going on. It was only when we got home and put the news on that it kicked home. I remember feeling a bit guilty that I'd been celebrating whilst these poor fans perished. I've always said it was by the grace of God it wasn't Maine Road that day(but it still wasn't right it was anywhere) because we'd be talking in the high 100s such was the crowd that day. Such a bitter sweet day.

R.I.P. to those who lost their lives that day. Put our promotion in perspective. BCFC have shown great humility dealing with this tradegy unlike others I could mention.

IIRC we'd just been bouncing around after beating Charlton to get promotion...it was a big come down once I'd found out after getting out of our place.

RIP the forgotten many.

When you bring it down to the basics, we're all human: and tragedies like these can have a devastating effect upon us all - regardless of whether you're personally involved or not. Those that lost their lives could have been our relatives or close friends.

A sporting event brought those people's lives together, and a tragedy ended it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.