Bradford City Fire

One of our own, who I've had the pleasure of sitting with since we moved to the new stadium, was there that day and sadly lost his Grandfather. Eric Hudson was the 56th and final victim of the disaster so it's always been a particularly sad day for their family and those of us who know them.

I worked in Bradford at the time. Several colleagues injured but none fatally.
There is a happy ending in one respect. A young surgeon, Mr Sharp, was forced by circumstances (high demand, little time) to wing it and invent new plastic surgery techniques. His work was a spectacular success and there is now a medical scholarship named after the now Professor Sharpe.
A few years ago, I had skin cancer, not too serious, but it grew inside my lip and I needed plastic surgery to avoid an ugly outcome on my face. Prof Sharpe operated on me and you can hardly tell now, apart from a lip curl that makes me look like Cliff Richard. Mind you, with a local anaesthetic in an area packed with nerve endings, the op was incredibly painful.
Many people burnt in the fire have reason to be very grateful to that young surgeon.
RIP to those who lost their lives.

Last edited:
Always wondered why this tragedy never receives the press coverage other football associated events do?

I think we all know why that is.

One of my best mates at work was at Valley Parade that day and he still can’t talk about it.

There is a memorial service today, but I’ve not heard anything about it in the national media.

R. I. P. to all of you.

Any Military personnel who were sent to MPA, Falkland Islands were shown a video of this tragedy as their accommodation was built of wood on stilts not dissimilar to that wooden stand. The real time footage was horrific. The small fire was treated as a bit of a joke at first with some spectators staying in situ and some even dancing around the small flames in a corner of the stand oblivious to the danger. In the next five minutes the fire engulfed the whole stand and the heat was unbearable even in the centre circle. It was a tragedy that could have happened in any number of football grounds - I thought the old Platt lane where I sat as a kid would have been the same.
No one messed around when the fire alarm sounded in the barracks.
A horrific tragedy that people who were just going to support their team should never have suffered. RIP.
I remember a video was shown to us as retained firefighters terrible to watch.

Always wondered why this tragedy never receives the press coverage other football associated events do?
I've always wondered this. You hear more about the Busby crew, Rangers stadium disaster, Heysel and Hillsborough every year.

I was a young lad watching on Grandstand. I was in awe of what was happening but as a young boy you didnt really get how horrific it all was.

You think a disaster like that would have sent shockwaves for health and safety, they only started pulling fingers out of their arses when it happened at kings cross station for the rest of the country

Although not covered in such detail Nationally as other tragedies it is still very much remembered in the city itself. My sister works in a primary school over there and every year at around this time they have a Claret and Amber day where the kids pay money to come to school wearing those colours. The money then goes the the Bradford Hospital burns unit. They use the day to talk to the children about fire safety and get people in from the Fire Service to talk to them about it.

R.I.P.

Best wishes to Bradford City and their communities today.

That's because unlike other teams, Bradford have respected all those that died in the tragedy and haven't used it for sympathy or to generate global appeal and finances.

Not to forget the Lincoln community affected who also remember the tragic events in a respectful, unified manner alongside Bradford. RIP to the 56.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.