Bradford Inn, Bradford Road

remember arthur mann said:
Barcon said:
Is the Bull still down the bottom of Briscoe lane?
No, not been open for years, used it now and again in late 60s 70s Chesters mild, I used to fight lamp-posts after a few pints (not people mind) Welding wholesalers now I think.
I had a feeling that was an old Chester's pub. They had a few choice boozers in a east Manchester, they really did.

Barcon said:
nelsons willie said:
barney* said:
Barcon wrote:

No the Bull closed years ago, the building still standing thou

see link for details

<a class="postlink" href="http://pubs-of-manchester.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Bull%20Hotel%20-%20Briscoe%20Lane" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://pubs-of-manchester.blogspot.co.u ... coe%20Lane</a>
never even knew that was a pub. there is a house and letting agent at the top of my road. someone told me it was the robin hood

I remember the Robin Hood, Droylsden rd.
Is the Nelson still going? Just down the rd in Failsworth.
Think so, seem to remember them playing the shoe at pool.

Barcon said:
Barcon said:
You're joking? At the corner of Scotland all rd and Briscoe lane?

Phoenix, my local for years, even went into the old one. Pass it going to the match, hadn't noticed it being used as flats !

You talking many years. Don't suppose you new Ted Barker did you?

You're going back some time now, was Ted a bit of a giant.
Robin Hood now a property company.
Nelson still up and running, nice pint of Coors £2-50.

Barcon said:
Barcon said:
You're joking? At the corner of Scotland all rd and Briscoe lane?

Phoenix, my local for years, even went into the old one. Pass it going to the match, hadn't noticed it being used as flats !

Is that the same Barker who`s grandson now plays in City`s EDS squad, Brandon ?

Barcon said:

Yeah, I am going back quite a bit. Ted was indeed a bit of a giant, a big man with a load of curly hair.
I think anybody that met him would remember him. His son was Ged, not sure if you knew him. Ged was my Dad.

Ding Dong said:
Barcon said:

Is that the same Barker who`s grandson now plays in City`s EDS squad, Brandon ?

Unfortunately not mate. I'm the last of that run of Barkers.

Barcon said:
Barcon said:

Yeah, I am going back quite a bit. Ted was indeed a bit of a giant, a big man with a load of curly hair.
I think anybody that met him would remember him. His son was Ged, not sure if you knew him. Ged was my Dad.

Nice enough bloke, always related his name to his size 'bit of a barker' just the opposite, a gentle giant. Probably knew your pop, if only by sight.

nelsons willie said:
My daughter lived round the corner from there. ive been in my flat 3 years. i know it was open about 14 months or so ago. when i mentioned my girl lived near the phoenix to my present landlady she said it was shut and they were going to turn it into flats. i'll have a look next time im up at the pet shop.
Has Pete Ward still got the Horseshoe ?

As far as I'm aware he is, still tearing up a log end and playing country darts last time we spoke.

Barcon said:
nelsons willie said:
barney* said:
Barcon wrote:

No the Bull closed years ago, the building still standing thou

see link for details

<a class="postlink" href="http://pubs-of-manchester.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Bull%20Hotel%20-%20Briscoe%20Lane" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://pubs-of-manchester.blogspot.co.u ... coe%20Lane</a>
never even knew that was a pub. there is a house and letting agent at the top of my road. someone told me it was the robin hood

I remember the Robin Hood, Droylsden rd.
Is the Nelson still going? Just down the rd in Failsworth.

The Nelson is still going and seems to be doing really well. It shut down for a while a few years ago but was then renovated and it gets quite busy of a weekend. Seems strange as the Nelson and Windmill are a few hundred yards apart yet seem to prosper.

All the pubs in Newton Heath seem to really struggle.

The Bull was the first pub I could ever get in when I used to live near Ten Acres Lane.It died off with the abattoir. Used to go in the Phoenix as well.

I live up near Culcheth Lane now and have seen both the soapbox and Robin Hood dissapear.

The Crown on Church St is always empty while the White lion just gets the piss pots in at daft O clock in the morning.

The only ones that seem to do ok are the working men's club, the Horseshoe and the Railway on Clayton Bridge at the weekend.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.