Brahim Diaz - 2017/18 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He only played because of injuries and I can only assume City managers feel under so much pressure for results week in week out that they aren't prepared to gamble on youngster unless the situation is dire.

Yes, they have bottled out of using younger players & been given fortunes to spend wheras some managers have had no choice.

So last season we are forced into using a relatively young player, out of position, & he does a job & goes up in value, just as about 20 others could have done in the last 6-7 years imo, with nothing but squad benefit, money & good reputation being gained from doing it.

It doesn't matter if they are then sold, it matters that they got a shot at it.

It's time to start now, the best players are reaching the right age & physique.

Yes, they have bottled out of using younger players & been given fortunes to spend wheras some managers have had no choice.

So last season we are forced into using a relatively young player, out of position, & he does a job & goes up in value, just as about 20 others could have done in the last 6-7 years imo, with nothing but squad benefit, money & good reputation being gained from doing it.

It doesn't matter if they are then sold, it matters that they got a shot at it.

It's time to start now, the best players are reaching the right age & physique.

The new approach moving forward of only signing one or two world beaters a season may open up more legitimate places in the squad for youth

Already people moaning it's "another Sancho".. let's get this right, Pep and the club showed faith by offering him a contract. Not loaning him out, not selling him with buy-back. A proper contract that was reward for his progression and with a view of bringing him on. When he refused, he was left out of the US tour as his commitment isn't reciprocated and we all know he went AWOL afterwards. His skill was never in question. His temperament is. He's flash, cocky, and very confident, which he's allowed to be and I know that side of the game grates a lot of people... but indiscipline isn't acceptable.

So now we turn to Diaz, another youngster that is above his peers at youth level, but looks like a fish out of water (at the moment). We've seen it many times before. Garcia, Lopez, Suarez.. the players quickly ship out and go on to make a decent career elsewhere. Personally I see the skill, but don't see exceptional talent with vision, movement etc. I see a great dribbler who's not strong enough.

Very few 19 year olds are strong enough. If we’re gonna write a player like Diaz off this early on, then we might as well burn the Academy down. It’ll just be another stick with which to beat us

Last edited:
Very few 19 year olds are strong enough. If we’re gonna write a player like Diaz off this early on, then we might as well burn the Academy down

I agree. But if players want to be making waves into a starting XI in a top league, they've got to work on strength. Of the 19 year olds that have broken through in Europe they are all strong. Not writing him off, I just think he'll grow into a better player later on in his career and in a slower league.

Very few 19 year olds are strong enough. If we’re gonna write a player like Diaz off this early on, then we might as well burn the Academy down. It’ll just be another stick with which to beat us

I’m with you on Diaz, he needs time and I do think the club is aware of the need for some squad players and at least one first team regular to come from the academy in the next few years.

With the amount of top talent we have it is only a matter of time before we have our own Pogba situation.

Ultimately the academy is a money maker as well as providing City plenty of buy back options. So in a lot of ways is performing for ourselves.

No reason why diaz cant be the back up to sane and be a starter in the league cup and against lower placed teams. we just lack faith in all our youngsters if mbappe was in our academy we would've been in a similar situation.

Why wouldn't he want to leave..Why sign a new contract and get tossed around Girona/Twente/NAC/Toulouse for the next few years?
Its clear that once the club decides you are going out on loan,your career at City is pretty much done..Only Zinchenko has been the exception and even he is set to leave after only one season of being a full time first team player.
Also clear that Foden's more of a Pep favourite than he is,albeit they play in different positions,and while I agree that he isn't quite the finished product in many aspects,he's never really got the chances that Foden's been given.
Barely made the bench even in nothing games and the dead rubber games at the end of the season instead the likes of Yaya were there and even when he did,he got like 5 mins each game.
Pep's a genius,a serial winner..But also a coward regarding the youth..Been full of excuses..He's probably still waiting,and will be for a long time,for a B-team league setup to be introduced in England for the kids to be 'ready' for him.

The academy buys us a ticket in a lottery. Given the ambitions of the owner and management, the calibre of players we need is sky high, merely good ones, we have to pass on. We may unearth an Mbappe, or Mesi but the odds against are enormous. Kids that come through the system and move on have had the best possible start, no broken promises, no neglected education issues, in fact a super-deluxe experience that could set them up for a career in football, which only falls to 1% of those who take the first step. The stated aim to be the best in the world only makes the chances smaller, a global scouting net-work makes them smaller still. Some posters seem unwilling to let go of the " he's one of ours " syndrome, even accusing the club of being lazy, disloyal even. Criticisms which apply more to them than their target. Funny old world, innit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.