Brahim Diaz - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Diaz hasn’t shown much when he’s gotten the chance. Blistering pace, good technique, yes, but he has also dribbled a lot til he loses the ball and refused to pass altough good opportunities have been there. Foden has shown much more imo.
What do you expect after 190 minutes? Last season he started one game and came in as a sub nine times. The only time he started a game, he was joined by the likes of Tosin, Mangala, Zinchenko, Yaya. There is a huge difference between playing with those fringe players and players like Ederson, KDB, Merlin, Fernandinho, Raz etc. To see whether he`s ready or not for the first team he should play in an almost full strength XI, and not be one of 7-8 changes. 9 of 10 times last season he came on as a sub late in the game. Very often the game was already over when he came on, and every other player was busy passing the ball around in the defense, so he couldn`t get a touch. Judging him on his 5-minute cameos is not sufficient to make an opinion on him. I get the part that Foden`s a local lad, but he has not shown more than Diaz IMO. Foden is more of a playmaker, while Diaz is a more direct attacker. They`re 2 different players and the fact that Foden passes the ball more often, doesn`t mean that he is a better player

Agreed. We're losing our top, top talents - who arguably have the highest potential possible at their age (particularly Sancho and Diaz) - and it will continue to be like this until we give them the opportunity.

From a personal point of view I feel like almost giving up on following the academy. After tracking the journeys of Sancho and Diaz from their signings and then through the age groups it was exciting, as I genuinely thought they'd be first team players one day.

While Foden coming through would still be a great achievement (actually phenomenal based on our track record), if Sancho and Diaz couldn't get the opportunities at City then almost nobody can.
Gave up a long time ago. See it as making the club money rather than push them through, wouldnt be surprised if we sign a couple of players in Fodens position in the summer.

Also remember that picture from 16/17

490362169e240aa797baff52274a4261.jpg

I gave up when Pellegrini was in charge.

We had a load of kids then, many of whom, imo, should have been fast tracked into our first team squad, who were clearly allowing their effort & performance levels to drop.

Imo, that crop of kids was one of the best we have ever had, in regard of ability. The way they were disregarded, I said at the time, would have consequences for the future & I stopped going to the games.

If barely any of them get on the pitch with the first team, it sets a precedent &, rightly or wrongly, those who follow will look at that team & having seen players of that quality, not even becoming regular squad/bit part players, at a time when the team is not performing & players are getting old, then look at the squad now, & what chance would they really expect to get now, in this squad, if those players back then, can't even get a sniff ?

It's not Pep's fault as such,the problem is from previous times, but he can do more to turn it round.

If he gets Diaz on the pitch, this situation may still be resolved in City's favour.

Lopes was a real fucking mess.

He played in a cup semi final, was great & barely played afterwards. Presumably because he wasn't Lionel Messi MKII in his other games.

It's definitely a historical problem pre-dating the current management. It's just a sad state of affairs and goes against everything we've been sold by the chairman and our 'holistic' approach.

Gave up a long time ago. See it as making the club money rather than push them through, wouldnt be surprised if we sign a couple of players in Fodens position in the summer.

Also remember that picture from 16/17

490362169e240aa797baff52274a4261.jpg

You're right re a money making exercise. It's just a huge shame.

I see the positives with sell on clauses, revenue, etc, etc. But that will never outweigh my desire to have more home-grown talent in and around the first team.

The club/certain fans will say that you can't win the big trophies with kids. But we've seen lots of teams that have still won trophies despite using academy players, so the argument that playing these kids will be detrimental doesn't really wash.

If Diaz goes, then imo the whole concept of the academy, as Khaldoon sees it, is put into question.

It would mean that Foden, a local City fan, is the only player to actually come through, at City, after ten years.

What he says on camera and the reality are probably different.
I see the academy as another revenue stream. The only exception is we might over a period of time develop a few players who will make the first team.
Let's see the end product of the likes of Sancho etc before we start the blame game. For balance Sancho is miles behind Sane who currently is struggling to make our match day squad.

I gave up when Pellegrini was in charge.

We had a load of kids then, many of whom, imo, should have been fast tracked into our first team squad, who were clearly allowing their effort & performance levels to drop.

Imo, that crop of kids was one of the best we have ever had, in regard of ability. The way they were disregarded, I said at the time, would have consequences for the future & I stopped going to the games.

If barely any of them get on the pitch with the first team, it sets a precedent &, rightly or wrongly, those who follow will look at that team & having seen players of that quality, not even becoming regular squad/bit part players, at a time when the team is not performing & players are getting old, then look at the squad now, & what chance would they really expect to get now, in this squad, if those players back then, can't even get a sniff ?

It's not Pep's fault as such,the problem is from previous times, but he can do more to turn it round.

If he gets Diaz on the pitch, this situation may still be resolved in City's favour.

Lopes was a real fucking mess.

He played in a cup semi final, was great & barely played afterwards. Presumably because he wasn't Lionel Messi MKII in his other games.

Pellegrini picked Navas ahead of our talented youngsters. He couldn’t kick a ball.

Source: Jose Alvarez Haya, who’s the one who normally knows the City team a few minutes before everyone else on match days, has tweeted that Diaz hasn’t signed a new contract and isn’t close to doing so. From January, he will be free to speak to other parties and there are some big clubs interested. More info coming in the next few days.

Bitterly disappointing if this is true, and quite honestly piss poor from City. For the sake of throwing him the odd bone now and again, we risk him walking for a compensatory pittance. I can’t see how it will do anything other than dampen enthusiasm at the Academy, if a player with Diaz’ skillset can’t get a sniff of the first team

I'm interested: how many points a season are people willing to drop if it meant bringing young talent through?

Genuine question.

I'm interested: how many points a season are people willing to drop if it meant bringing young talent through?

Genuine question.

There’s no reason we should drop any. You obviously wouldn’t start Diaz or Foden against the rags, but bringing one of them on for 20 minutes on a regular basis when we’re 2 or 3 goals to the good, wouldn’t necessarily cost us anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.