Brahim Diaz (signed for Real)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep and the leadership’s problem is the problem at any really big club. He needs to plan and develop for the medium term, while also delivering in the short term. Not easy to square that circle.
Really sad to see Brahim go, genuinely, but I wouldn’t have played him in anything other than cup matches. Not at that age. Not for the time being. The class of ‘92 thing will never, ever happen again, believe it. Spurs only play youth players because Levy clearly isn’t prepared to splash out on big signings (they’ve also got the problem of financing the stadium, to be fair). Meanwhile, what have Spurs won in the last fifty years?
I’m not at all sure that Brahim (and/or his agent) has made the right choice of destination, though. A good, but smaller, club like Sevilla would have seemed a far better guarantee of game time in the short term. Of course, Sevilla would not have paid even close to that money.

Our academy will continue to produce prodigious talent, but the club will assess whether, ultimately, an individual has what it takes to be a part of the first team squad within a particular timeframe. The player in question also has to want to stay, knowing that the next few years may be a gamble in relation to playing time.

For me, as long as our first team starter (in whatever position) is superior to the academy player we have sold in the same position, the club has made the correct decision.

Is Diaz better than our first team options, or likely to be in the next two to three years, given that he is not going to get a run of games to showcase his talents? The answer is probably no, so the club has got a decent fee and will move on, just like Diaz.

Just like with Sancho, people will look at £15m and get giddy over how great a job we've done. £15M!! For a kid! Amazing.

Then in 2 years time when he's worth 5x that after Madrid send him on a good loan and then bring him into their first team they'll say "Ah there was nothing we could have done to keep him! Lad wanted to leave for some reason".

Meanwhile more kids like him won't get a chance and will run down their contracts like he did because they have zero faith in the club bringing them through.

We've seen it before, no doubt we'll see it plenty of times again.

Love your romantic view of football mate.

Considering some of the exorbitant fees that Liverpool and Chelsea have received for distinctly average players, I don’t believe our Diaz deal is quite as good as many are making out.

Considering some of the exorbitant fees that Liverpool and Chelsea have received for distinctly average players, I don’t believe our Diaz deal is quite as good as many are making out.

He ain't gonna sign a new deal and has 6 months left on his contract. Its an amazing deal.

It’s an excellent deal for an unproven youngster with just 6 months left on his contract.

The purpose of the academy is long term planning, we are still medium term at present. We could not have failed to invest in the team we currently have, win things and find slots for all the academy boys. Doesn’t work, however I suspect over the next few years the academy will provide the squad replacements for DS, VK, SA, IG...
it is just unfortunate that Sancho and Diaz have come through at slightly the wrong time and want first team football. Foden would have done the same if he wasn’t a blue.
On the upside, the academy is primarily seen as an income generator for the club, so expect to see more lads getting sold over the years, with hopefully 1 or 2 making the city grade per year but let’s see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.