Breakaway European Super League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will never ever happen. Ever. There’s constant talk about who would want to leave if they couldn’t play in Europe for one season, What players are going to want to play for a team where they play around two dozen games a year maximum? As you say, Fifa only needs to ban you from competing in anything else if you play in this breakaway league and every single player is out the door and the whole idea collapses.

I have to say that the idea initially appeals to me....but only in so far as it would piss off FIFA.

We all know that FIFA & UEFA have some deep issues (I'm not quite sure if you could use the word corrupt), but am fairly sure that many others would be happy to. Therefore anything that shakes up the cozy arrangements they have in place surely has to be a good thing.

However, they would come down on any recalcitrant clubs/players, like a ton of bricks in an attempt to squash any chance of future rebellions.
They would have to to to stop any other clubs joining the breakaway to allow it to reach some sort of critical mass of clubs.

After the initial idea of it being some sort of rebellion against the footballing tyranny, it loses alot of its attraction as you do realise it would just build another small cozy group that would look after themselves.

With the CAS announcement due tomorrow (13th July), there is again talk that if we are totally exonerated, the G14 will leave UEFA to form a breakaway league.
Currently FIFA are the sole "guardians" of Association Football, with subsidiaries like UEFA, CONCACAF, African Confederation etc governing the game in their continents, with National Football Association's affiliated to the subsidiaries, and within the national FA,s regional and schools associations.
If the G14 decide to breakaway from UEFA then they will be outside the FIFA "footballing family".
If I recall correctly, when Kerry Packer set up his "alternative cricket" structure, the International Cricketing authorities banned all involved from all their games for a large number of years.
If FIFA allow an alternative game to be played, then they would be required to take strong action.
I could envisage a large press conference announcing that Nited, red Scouse, Bayern, Barca, Real etc will be forming their own league, "corporate partners" broadcasting etc.
If FIFA then announce the next day, anyone, corporation, players, officials, broadcasters etc involved will be barred from ALL competitions under the FIFA umbrella will be banned for a minimum of ten years, it would kill the breakaway stone dead.
Your son is offered a place at a Liverpool academy, but even though he is 11, knowing that if he registers, he could no longer play for his school?
If you advertise on MUTV you can't advertise at Droylsden or at the World Cup?
You play for Juve your international career is over?
Their under 15 team can only play 13 other clubs etc

Could this go the way of Rugby when Union demanded players remained amateur while League embraced professionalism?
Could be interesting times ahead.
Just hope that the result tomorrow morning is the correct one.

The G14 doesn't exist any more. The nearest thing to it is the ECA (European Club Association) which is essentially embedded with UEFA. It includes all the top clubs, plus Arsenal, but not City. There will be reform of FFP and City will finally get to the top table. The Ceferin faction at UEFA want City on board more than ever after Covid. A City win tomorrow is a win for most clubs. The influence of United, Bayern, and Liverpool is overblown while Barca and Real have enough problems of their own at present. I think the chance of a super league will recede, at least in the short term.

Imagine playing Barca one week Real the next week and Juve the week after, then rinsing and repeating? The people whispering this concept are obviously not fans because they don't quite get it. I'm in agreement with you it's what's called in local vernacular A Load Of Bollocks.

Exactly. The widening of the CL over the last two decades has given plenty of regular big games to chew over so it’s not like we don’t already see our country’s cream take on the other big hitters. As you rightly say, it’s dreamed up and blabbed by people who don’t know the first thing about the game.

That’s where the talk comes from. They’re the ones who want it.

I don’t think the European leagues and clubs do.
As an American and a football fan for all of my 60+ years, I don't know anyone here who would want or support a 14 team all European league. As someone said before, where's the glory(prestige) in finishing 10th every season?

Why would they want a superleague?
Only one reason, money for the owners, which will piss off all the matchgoing supporters as these, for the majority of the old G14, are gloryhunters who rock up expecting their team to win
Why would Barca and RM want to properly compete! At the moment they know, no matter what, it's a two horse race domestically where they have a huge financial advantage as La Liga money is massively skewed in their favour, plus they'll always be in the CL thus ensuring that top two domestic advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.