Breakaway European Super League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having now read the full details (in the Times) of the breakaway proposals I think there is a strong chance they will happen. Like most on here my gut instinct was against the idea, primarily because of its closed shop nature (only five qualifiers each season) but a lot of the suggestions are actually good ones.These include: domestic leagues unaltered; matches will remain midweek; less power for broadcasters with clubs using their own digital platforms for some games; more TV money will actually be carved up more fairly than the current UEFA system; salary caps and some financial controls.
I not saying I support it but it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. For example the proposal doesn't rule out a possible qualification process direct from domestic leagues (ie not a closed shop). This may well be up for negotiation.
This is a bid to replace the current Champions League which would destroy UEFA. I actually think the breakaway proposals are better than UEFA's ideas for a revamped Champions League which pose a bigger threat to domestic leagues.
I can't find an online version of the whole report but would urge anyone to read the detail before just condemning it out of hand. I think City are wise to keep their hat in the ring at the moment.
For full details please refer to the NFL Rules and Regs.

For full details please refer to the NFL Rules and Regs.
The franchise element is the bit that worries me most but I am open-minded to the broader parts of the proposal. I want to see how it all shakes up before I take a view one way or another. One thing I am certain of is that I dislike the current Champions League format and hate the new UEFA proposals even more. I also distrust the motivations of United and Real Madrid who are just looking to bail themselves out financially.

only winners on own platforms are history teams more world wide mugs paying to watch forgone conclusion games
You are right of course but new digital technology means the pay-per-view model (like Boxing) is here to stay. We can't ignore something that is happening anyway and City need to have say in how this plays out. The Rags, LFC, and Real Madrid can only make money if other clubs take part. The new Champions League model (proposed by the crooks at UEFA) would mean more European games (including Saturdays) and would destroy the Premier League. At the moment there are only two choices on the table for football: The Breakaway League or the ongoing Champions League. We may end up with some sort of hybrid.

Daily mail latest report on the super league:

UEFA and FIFA's opposition to the £4.6 billion European Super League project has suffered a major setback following a new court judgement which found it is 'illegal' for governing bodies prevent clubs and players joining rival competitions.

the European Commission has previously ruled that the International Skating Union cannot prevent speed skaters from participating in new money-spinning events. That decision was supported in a judgement in Europe's second highest court, the General Court in Luxembourg, last month.

And now a German court has for the first time used that decision as a precedent to prevent the German and international wrestling federations from blocking a new competition.

It will be interesting to see where UEFA/FIFA go from here.

Could City enter our EDS team in this Superduper League and have our first team still in the Premier League? Sweep up all the English trophies and possibly the Champions League while the other decent sides are missing?

Sky sports seem to be trailing something on this and an announcement to be made shortly.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.