Breakaway European Super League

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if City go along with this plan our players won't have to show up to get injured and abused in pointless internationals every few weeks? WOW!!!!! Where do we sign???!!! :-)

When you hear that sponsors of national teams can influence which players are picked for the team to promote their brand, then you have to say that international teams aren't worth our support.

As an FOC on the site, I remember waiting for the England team announcement to see which City lads were playing back in the 60's and 70's. The Bell Lee and Summerbee was obviously the big thing, but now it seems who's best to promote the sponsors

Looking at the current sponsors of England FC, I can't see we've got parity on players ability of certain other clubs

When you hear that sponsors of national teams can influence which players are picked for the team to promote their brand, then you have to say that international teams aren't worth our support.

As an FOC on the site, I remember waiting for the England team announcement to see which City lads were playing back in the 60's and 70's. The Bell Lee and Summerbee was obviously the big thing, but now it seems who's best to promote the sponsors

Looking at the current sponsors of England FC, I can't see we've got parity on players ability of certain other clubs
It did used to feel like the national team were a 'best 11' of the top division, but now it feels more like a sky 'super Sunday'. I personally can't be arsed and am happy when hardly any city lads are in it as it's more rest and less injuries.

Something needs to change with the CL, I think the current format is awful.

Why not a league?

Something needs to change with the CL, I think the current format is awful.

Why not a league?
Having now read the full details (in the Times) of the breakaway proposals I think there is a strong chance they will happen. Like most on here my gut instinct was against the idea, primarily because of its closed shop nature (only five qualifiers each season) but a lot of the suggestions are actually good ones.These include: domestic leagues unaltered; matches will remain midweek; less power for broadcasters with clubs using their own digital platforms for some games; more TV money will actually be carved up more fairly than the current UEFA system; salary caps and some financial controls.
I not saying I support it but it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. For example the proposal doesn't rule out a possible qualification process direct from domestic leagues (ie not a closed shop). This may well be up for negotiation.
This is a bid to replace the current Champions League which would destroy UEFA. I actually think the breakaway proposals are better than UEFA's ideas for a revamped Champions League which pose a bigger threat to domestic leagues.
I can't find an online version of the whole report but would urge anyone to read the detail before just condemning it out of hand. I think City are wise to keep their hat in the ring at the moment.

From what they have said, it seems to me that will never hold up in court.

The European Commission already ruled on an almost identical case where the International Skating Union tried to ban people from the Olympics because they competed in non-ISU sanctioned races.

Its anticompetitive practice. "Try and set up a rival to our subsidiary (UEFA) and we'll restrict the trade of every employee you hire"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.