Brentford (H) - PL | Post Match Thread

Probably one of the best away performances in the 1st half at the Etihad I've seen for a while. Helped by the earliest goal we've ever conceded at home in the Prem. Thankfully we've got the mentality to not drop our heads after an early setback. We've also got Erling Haaland. Huge credit to him for even playing today. Never mind the shift he put in. We got away with it a bit in team selection today in making so many changes even if it was necessary with Wednesday in mind. Definitely missed Bernardo buzzing around in the middle of the pitch.

Beware playing Brentford near an international break.

They played really well for half an hour and could have been 2-3 up.

We got a bit lucky with the first goal, but we’d have probably scored & in the second half had it not gone in.

Game became easier once Wissa went off.

Much better second half, but didn’t take our chances.

Brentford are the new Burnley. Playing them is like going to the dentist.

Not quite sure what to make of that game. The first twenty minutes or so it reminded me of the cup final.against the rags. We were all over the place, Brentford were strolling through our midfield at will and we were lucky not to be three down. Too many changes? Stones and Walker were awful and the midfield lethargic to say the least.
The big man bailed us out and we got on top in the second half and really should have finished the game off. The fact we didn't made for a nervy finish. I have no idea who the daft fucker was who decided to dribble through the middle in injury time, lost the ball and they missed the far post by a whisker. Criminal.

Still we've won the charity shield and sit top of the league by three points which is great. Hers how the managers saw it.

I prefer to win that way than 5-0'
published at 17:41 British Summer Time
17:41 BST
FT: Man City 2-1 Brentford

Manchester City

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola: "I am a big fan of Thomas Frank. I don't remember in eight or nine years have a team playing the way they played. We were lucky with the deflection because they deserved 1-0.

"We struggled a lot to read when to shoot and press. We were lucky to find the goals but in the second half we were better and probably deserved to score more goals.

"We needed that to feel how difficicult everything is, how difficult the Premier League is every game.

"People say City so strong but the Premier League is so difficult. Today was the real proof.

"I am a big fan of Brentford. They play long balls but they have ability to play as well. I give a lot of credit to my players, from where we come from in the past but to still be able to suffer. I prefer to win that way than four or five nil. We need that."

On Haaland: "Erling in the space is so difficult to control. It was a tough week for him but yesterday it was a bit better, we tried to help him."

'I expected the hat-trick!'

Manchester City

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to Sky Sports: "We struggled a lot, we were lucky with the deflection goal. The first half was really tough and we need that. This type of game makes us realise how difficult everything is in the Premier League.

"Since Brentford have been promoted, we draw or lost or win by one goal like today. You have to be the best.

"I am not delighted, I expected the hat-trick! What can you say the numbers. It has been a tough week for him. He scored two goals but had four or five chances.

"One step at a time, now recover."

'Disappointed with result, proud of the performance'

Brentford

Brentford boss Thomas Frank, speaking to MOTD: "Standing here I am a combination of extremely disappointed we didn't get something out of this game but on the other hand very proud.

"The first 25 minutes was world class, we were better than Manchester City. Second half they were more on top and made it difficult. A point would have been fair and not often teams can come here and say that.

"You could say if we need to win here we needed to take more of the chances we had in the first half.

"I respect Pep Guardiola very much and a lot of the reasons I do is because he made tactical changes at half time and then he is not too proud to put the ball down in the corner because they need to win. We must have done something right today.

"This is a fantastic group to work with and we need to keep doing this.

"Haaland is a fantastic striker, he got a little bit of help today with a deflection and a mistake we don't usually do."

... Another thing. How fucking big are some of the Brentford players? In the first half we had a corner and about four of their players made Haaland look small!

Not quite sure what to make of that game. The first twenty minutes or so it reminded me of the cup final.against the rags. We were all over the place, Brentford were strolling through our midfield at will and we were lucky not to be three down. Too many changes? Stones and Walker were awful and the midfield lethargic to say the least.
The big man bailed us out and we got on top in the second half and really should have finished the game off. The fact we didn't made for a nervy finish. I have no idea who the daft fucker was who decided to dribble through the middle in injury time, lost the ball and they missed the far post by a whisker. Criminal.

Still we've won the charity shield and sit top of the league by three points which is great. Hers how the managers saw it.

I prefer to win that way than 5-0'
published at 17:41 British Summer Time
17:41 BST
FT: Man City 2-1 Brentford

Manchester City

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola: "I am a big fan of Thomas Frank. I don't remember in eight or nine years have a team playing the way they played. We were lucky with the deflection because they deserved 1-0.

"We struggled a lot to read when to shoot and press. We were lucky to find the goals but in the second half we were better and probably deserved to score more goals.

"We needed that to feel how difficicult everything is, how difficult the Premier League is every game.

"People say City so strong but the Premier League is so difficult. Today was the real proof.

"I am a big fan of Brentford. They play long balls but they have ability to play as well. I give a lot of credit to my players, from where we come from in the past but to still be able to suffer. I prefer to win that way than four or five nil. We need that."

On Haaland: "Erling in the space is so difficult to control. It was a tough week for him but yesterday it was a bit better, we tried to help him."

'I expected the hat-trick!'

Manchester City

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to Sky Sports: "We struggled a lot, we were lucky with the deflection goal. The first half was really tough and we need that. This type of game makes us realise how difficult everything is in the Premier League.

"Since Brentford have been promoted, we draw or lost or win by one goal like today. You have to be the best.

"I am not delighted, I expected the hat-trick! What can you say the numbers. It has been a tough week for him. He scored two goals but had four or five chances.

"One step at a time, now recover."

'Disappointed with result, proud of the performance'

Brentford

Brentford boss Thomas Frank, speaking to MOTD: "Standing here I am a combination of extremely disappointed we didn't get something out of this game but on the other hand very proud.

"The first 25 minutes was world class, we were better than Manchester City. Second half they were more on top and made it difficult. A point would have been fair and not often teams can come here and say that.

"You could say if we need to win here we needed to take more of the chances we had in the first half.

"I respect Pep Guardiola very much and a lot of the reasons I do is because he made tactical changes at half time and then he is not too proud to put the ball down in the corner because they need to win. We must have done something right today.

"This is a fantastic group to work with and we need to keep doing this.

"Haaland is a fantastic striker, he got a little bit of help today with a deflection and a mistake we don't usually do."
It was Savinho

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.