Brian Clough interview.

Yes Bowyer was a boo-boy at City; Mrs Vienna can attest to that, and she was nearly punched at one game, defending him against some burly knobhead giving him dog’s abuse.
Well done Mrs Vienna !
I get the impression fans were spoilt with the more gifted players we had at the club at the time ( same could be said of Paul Power later years) and were quick to call him out.

Well done Mrs Vienna !
I get the impression fans were spoilt with the more gifted players we had at the club at the time ( same could be said of Paul Power later years) and were quick to call him out.
Yes, Bowyer was taking the place of one or other of the holy trinity, though he wasn’t at their level, of course, and supporters didn’t give him the chance to develop his own skills.

And Ian Bowyer before that.

I can’t say I remember Jeff being booed, but the treatment of Edghill was nothing short of disgusting.

Supporters seemed to think that he should have been able to patrol the whole of the right-hand side of the pitch on his own.

I loved Reg. I thought he was a great player, but he deserved better.
It was more barracking of Jeff Whitley by brainless dickheads than booing.

Clough was like Big Mal, great when teamed with a competent more restrained and wise partner, pretty average when not.

Without taylor he failed at leeds, and ploded along at forest the first season there and after they fell out.

Not a criticism on him as he was a great charactor in the game but as withh many great managerial partnerships it worked better when they were together as ataylor was pretty poor when solo tbf

Last edited:
Clough was like Big Mal, great when teamed with a competent more restrained and wise partner, pretty average when not.

Without taylor he failed at leeds, and ploded along at forest the first season there and after they fell out.

Not a criticism on him as he was a great charactor in the game but as withh many great managerial partnerships it worked better when they were together as ataylor was pretty poor when solo tbf
Better with Taylor for sure, but Clough still won two league cups and kept Forest mainly in the top end of the table without him (3rd place 3 times checking the records though there is the relegation at the end when he clearly was unwell), so I'd say clearly above average. Taylor struggled with Derby who were in a total mess when he got there - kept them up in the old Div 2 one season, but was gone during the next relegation season. Not all his fault.

Last edited:
Enjoyed that. the documentaty confirmed, as I had suspected ,both Clough and Revie were paid a princely sum to enter a studio together at such a sensitive time; £400 each, a decent sum for 30 mins work back in 1974....cash.

Clough had only just agreed a whopping big pay off ftom leeds chairman Manny Cussings, I forget the figure,but save to say it set Clough up for life. Another easy £400 on top , and...if I heard right Clough also asked for 40 fags on top, ,didn't even know he smoked....and a cheese sandwich!!
Both men couldn't resist that type of cash, even tho they hated each other.......

I think Clough didn't get enough credit for the way he nurtured his son Nigel s early career. City fans generally scoff at Clough junior as he joined us at the tail end of his career.
But I remember him being forest top scorer for something daft like 5 years on the bounce in the top division. No real pace and not flashy or gobby. Just a superbly disciplined slightly built centre forward with a brilliant 1st touch, excellent Vision, and an ability to shoot low and hard and accurately. Every time.
I imagine Brian tought him the 1st touch ball control and the discipline

I remember watching forest at home in the old central league , Clough junior would regularly turn out at centre back ,whilst he was a 1st team regular at centre forward, I imagine to learn how a centre half thinks and moves.to help his education.

I recall one 1st team match v Arsenal, the old boring dirty arsenal with Dixon winterburn Adams and bould and the infamous offside trap.
Adams and Bould kicked lumps out of Clough from behind. It didn't seem a fair contest! Both towered above him. Late on the ball was played down the right wing someone crossed it hard and low to the near post...Clough slid in to finish . 1nil Forest. Final score.

Clough was part of it seemed, endless forest sides who seemed to be on a different level to us at Maine rd, and his impudent back heel finish past Andy dibble straight from a corner in a 3nil win one season prob sums up how bad we were .

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.