Brian Clough interview.

There’s the game, when Dave MacKay was coming back from a broken leg or arm (I can’t remember which;, and the dirty Leeds players were targeting him.

The picture of MacKay holding Bremner by the scruff, and Bremner looking shit-scared, combined with their attempts to injure him again, showed just what a bunch of cowardly shithouses they were.
I think it was a broken leg. Mackay had his leg broken twice, if my memory serves me. A tough nut.

Wasn't that game Spurs v Leeds when Mckay gripped up Bremner?
You can see The Shelf at spurs in background of picture ..
Yes, it is.

I’d always assumed MacKay was playing for Derby by then, but I noticed the badge wasn’t a ram, and then realised it was the Spurs cockerel.

And Venables never played for the Rams.

In Eamon Dunphy's fascinating book, Only A Game, he gives an amusing analogy — he said playing against them was like sitting at your work bench, and having a man come up to you and stick a pin in you. Then run away. Then come back five minutes later and stick it in you again. And so on.
And he said the worst of it was that all those guys could really play, if they wanted to. They were terrific footballers. And they were.
“Only a Game” is an absolutely fantastic book about football in this era

Intresting story . I have a load about Clough. Not be posted on here.
They aren't about his witty one liners or charisma.
save to say , I think both men operated on different levels as a manager behind the scenes.. That's the way 70s football managers were,I'd guess.one and all.
But I think you have to say..that Revie was a good manager...just different in his ways...to "old big head"
Do you or anyone else remember a story in the press about Clough and what I think were cup final tickets? My recollection of the details is sketchy but I think it was similar to what Bobby Charlton was accused of. It was back in the early 90s so near the end of Clough’s managerial career and I distinctly remember an away game at Forest where City fans were chanting “Cloughie’s got the tickets, Cloughie’s got the tickets, nar nar nar na” to which the Forest fans almost instantaneously responded with “Cloughie’s got the trophies, Cloughie’s got the trophies, nar nar nar na”!

Do you or anyone else remember a story in the press about Clough and what I think were cup final tickets? My recollection of the details is sketchy but I think it was similar to what Bobby Charlton was accused of. It was back in the early 90s so near the end of Clough’s managerial career and I distinctly remember an away game at Forest where City fans were chanting “Cloughie’s got the tickets, Cloughie’s got the tickets, nar nar nar na” to which the Forest fans almost instantaneously responded with “Cloughie’s got the trophies, Cloughie’s got the trophies, na. r nar nar na”!
Clough used to have his own turnstile at Trent End. The proceeds were taken into the dressing room. Burns and Lloyd were bouncers so no-one walked in....
Clough made his money...but shared with the players . I knew the Dad of Gary Birtles partner years ago. He ran a paper shop near me in Notts.

Last edited:
There was a human side to Cloughie though. A true story - In the late 1970's City were drawn away at Forest in the FAC but the match was postponed at the lunchtime due to a waterlogged pitch. It had been lashing down all Friday night & Saturday morning and the River Trent had burst its banks. Me and my mates had driven down from Manchester to Nottingham to meet up with a fellow Blue who lived there. We didn't find out that the match was off until we got to the pub and our mate told us. We ended up in the pub all lunchtime before driving back to Manchester for 'early doors'. At the time Cloughie's brother (or brother in law, can't remember which) was a newsagent and Cloughie regularly helped him with the Sunday papers. The shop was where our mate used to get his from, so next morning he tells Cloughie about it and that we were well and truly pissed off that the game was called off so late. Cloughie said that it was ridiculous, and that he'd asked the ref to call it off hours earlier as there was never any chance it would be played. He said to pass on his sincere apologies to all of us and that he hoped we would have a safe trip for the Weds night rearranged game. He also said he hoped we would have a good time at the game - (quote) " .....but not too good a time" (unquote). Needless to say, we lost. :-(

There was a human side to Cloughie though. A true story - In the late 1970's City were drawn away at Forest in the FAC but the match was postponed at the lunchtime due to a waterlogged pitch. It had been lashing down all Friday night & Saturday morning and the River Trent had burst its banks. Me and my mates had driven down from Manchester to Nottingham to meet up with a fellow Blue who lived there. We didn't find out that the match was off until we got to the pub and our mate told us. We ended up in the pub all lunchtime before driving back to Manchester for 'early doors'. At the time Cloughie's brother (or brother in law, can't remember which) was a newsagent and Cloughie regularly helped him with the Sunday papers. The shop was where our mate used to get his from, so next morning he tells Cloughie about it and that we were well and truly pissed off that the game was called off so late. Cloughie said that it was ridiculous, and that he'd asked the ref to call it off hours earlier as there was never any chance it would be played. He said to pass on his sincere apologies to all of us and that he hoped we would have a safe trip for the Weds night rearranged game. He also said he hoped we would have a good time at the game - (quote) " .....but not too good a time" (unquote). Needless to say, we lost. :-(
I think that paper shop was near Bramcote island on the outskirts of Beeston Notts, just off the A52 iirc.

My own newsagent linked story was back in the early 90s I lived in Radford Notts,my local paper shop was a 1 min walk just off Radford boulevard....owned by Jim,a rag,but one of the friendliest most knowledgeable utd fans I've ever spoken to.

...imagine my surprise when I walked in early one morning to see former Forest, but at the time, Notts County striker Gary Birtles behind the counter , I nearly collapsed in shock .He was helping out Jim, the father of his missus( who unfortunately had the beginnings of a horrible degenerative disease..) . Birtles had time to talk football, and took a genuine interest in my own footy playing , even going as far as helping me out when I hobbled in one morning with a foot injury ....he kindly arranged for me to nip into to see the1st team physio at Meadow Lane for some professional treatment .

I thought that was a brilliant gesture, one i had completely forgotten about . Doubt many modern day players would have the time to do similar...

I think that paper shop was near Bramcote island on the outskirts of Beeston Notts, just off the A52 iirc.

My own newsagent linked story was back in the early 90s I lived in Radford Notts,my local paper shop was a 1 min walk just off Radford boulevard....owned by Jim,a rag,but one of the friendliest most knowledgeable utd fans I've ever spoken to.

...imagine my surprise when I walked in early one morning to see former Forest, but at the time, Notts County striker Gary Birtles behind the counter , I nearly collapsed in shock .He was helping out Jim, the father of his missus( who unfortunately had the beginnings of a horrible degenerative disease..) . Birtles had time to talk football, and took a genuine interest in my own footy playing , even going as far as helping me out when I hobbled in one morning with a foot injury ....he kindly arranged for me to nip into to see the1st team physio at Meadow Lane for some professional treatment .

I thought that was a brilliant gesture, one i had completely forgotten about . Doubt many modern day players would have the time to do similar...
Yep, sounds right. My mate lived between Long Eaton and Beeston. He called for papers on the way to his allotment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.