Brian Clough interview.

I think the best insight into Brian Clough s career and character is a book I read years ago entitled

" Provided you don't miss me "

By Duncan Hamilton ,who was a very well respected local journalist who wrote for the Nottingham evening post and Football Post ( equivalent of The Pink ) .

"Covering 20 years as forest manager,with a mixture of success,failure fall outs and alcoholism."

Once you start the book it's difficult to put down and for any one wanting to understand more about the great man at the height of his
Managerial career,this book together with ' I believe in miracles video more or less puts you in the picture.

I think that paper shop was near Bramcote island on the outskirts of Beeston Notts, just off the A52 iirc.

My own newsagent linked story was back in the early 90s I lived in Radford Notts,my local paper shop was a 1 min walk just off Radford boulevard....owned by Jim,a rag,but one of the friendliest most knowledgeable utd fans I've ever spoken to.

...imagine my surprise when I walked in early one morning to see former Forest, but at the time, Notts County striker Gary Birtles behind the counter , I nearly collapsed in shock .He was helping out Jim, the father of his missus( who unfortunately had the beginnings of a horrible degenerative disease..) . Birtles had time to talk football, and took a genuine interest in my own footy playing , even going as far as helping me out when I hobbled in one morning with a foot injury ....he kindly arranged for me to nip into to see the1st team physio at Meadow Lane for some professional treatment .

I thought that was a brilliant gesture, one i had completely forgotten about . Doubt many modern day players would have the time to do similar...
What a lovely gesture. Always struck me as a decent bloke.

I was pleased for Birtles when he started scoring again when he got back to Forest. He got dogs abuse at Old Trafford, as I experienced one rare occasion that I went there with my late Dad. He was trying almost too hard, and he got even more stick. Never felt sorry for a United player before or since. I heard that Ralph Milne got the same. Horrible bastards.

I think the best insight into Brian Clough s career and character is a book I read years ago entitled

" Provided you don't miss me "

By Duncan Hamilton ,who was a very well respected local journalist who wrote for the Nottingham evening post and Football Post ( equivalent of The Pink ) .

"Covering 20 years as forest manager,with a mixture of success,failure fall outs and alcoholism."

Once you start the book it's difficult to put down and for any one wanting to understand more about the great man at the height of his
Managerial career,this book together with ' I believe in miracles video more or less puts you in the picture.
That is a wonderful book. It describes how Taylor's mental stress towards the end of his time at Forest really affected him and his behaviour. Sad really.

What a lovely gesture. Always struck me as a decent bloke.

I was pleased for Birtles when he started scoring again when he got back to Forest. He got dogs abuse at Old Trafford, as I experienced one rare occasion that I went there with my late Dad. He was trying almost too hard, and he got even more stick. Never felt sorry for a United player before or since. I heard that Ralph Milne got the same. Horrible bastards.
We aren’t exactly blameless in that department.

We were at Wigan, when Samaras came on as substitute. Someone even booed him, before he got on the field.

We aren’t exactly blameless in that department.

We were at Wigan, when Samaras came on as substitute. Someone even booed him, before he got on the field.

We certainly aren't. I say "we"....

Most of us didn't boo Paul Power, Richard Edghill and Jeff Whitley. That was truly shameful.

I remember the FOC on the Kippax who called Whitley "a little black tw*t" after he lost the ball again in our 2000 promotion season and told me to f*ck off when I told him to shut it.

United are a less tolerant crowd from what I have seen.

Most of us didn't boo Paul Power, Richard Edghill and Jeff Whitley. That was truly shameful.

I remember the FOC on the Kippax who called Whitley "a little black tw*t" after lost the ball again in our 2000 promotion season told me to fuck off when I told him to shut it.

And Ian Bowyer before that.

I can’t say I remember Jeff being booed, but the treatment of Edghill was nothing short of disgusting.

Supporters seemed to think that he should have been able to patrol the whole of the right-hand side of the pitch on his own.

I loved Reg. I thought he was a great player, but he deserved better.

I remember the FOC on the Kippax who called Whitley "a little black tw*t" after he lost the ball again in our 2000 promotion season and told me to f*ck off when I told him to shut it.

Getting back to Clough , Ian Bowyer was I understand a boo boy at City late 60s. Finally left for Orient ,then joined Forest and won the league and two European cups. There is a match at City ground where Forest destroyed us 4nil or something similar ( it may have been my first ever City game feb1980) Bowyer scores at the Bridgford end after a horrific mix up in our defence , comical stuff and Bowyer runs back to his own half doubling up with laughter ...I don't remember it from the game I was at ,but I've seen it since on video and it's painful to watch...

But must have been a hugely satisfying moment for the player.

CLough strikes again with a 'reject ' ...you 've got to hand it to the man,and Taylor,incredibly savvy purchases.

Getting back to Clough , Ian Bowyer was I understand a boo boy at City late 60s. Finally left for Orient ,then joined Forest and won the league and two European cups. There is a match at City ground where Forest destroyed us 4nil or something similar ( it may have been my first ever City game feb1980) Bowyer scores at the Bridgford end after a horrific mix up in our defence , comical stuff and Bowyer runs back to his own half doubling up with laughter ...I don't remember it from the game I was at ,but I've seen it since on video and it's painful to watch...

But must have been a hugely satisfying moment for the player.

CLough strikes again with a 'reject ' ...you 've got to hand it to the man,and Taylor,incredibly savvy purchases.
Yes Bowyer was a boo-boy at City; Mrs Vienna can attest to that, and she was nearly punched at one game, defending him against some burly knobhead giving him dog’s abuse.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.