Broadband deals / providers

Plusnets equipment is fucking dire and about 3 yrs out of date. the actual internet quality is much of a muchness as they rent lines off bt..but i think talk talk have some of there own gear in some nowadays, which should be irrelevant as the customer service is fucking dreadful. I wanted to cancel TT after moving house and they fucked up the move. I phoned to cancel and someone with very bad pidgeon english insisted i needed a tv box before i could cancel???

Bt are not as bad as you may think and if you do some good mithering they will give you a good deal. Dont get any disconnects and get the full 52mb/s which is good enough for most and they don't seem to throttle the connection at peak times. Seems fine for 4K streaming even when the lad is on his Xbox with YouTube also going. Plus when I have phoned them they are normally UK based call centres.
Does irritate me a bit that you have to go through the whole bartering process, like you are talking to a Turkish market stall holder when getting a deal. But if you don't ask I suppose you don't get.

Been with Talktalk for >10 years for phone and Broadband. However, current deal expires later this month, so thinking of switching. I pay around £28/month. I use it mainly for browsing and emails, with hardly any downloading of media.

Has anyone recently switched? I am based in outer south-east London. I have a Sky subscription, and with EE for Mobile.

EE seems to be reasonable according to Which magazine, and wondering as an existing customer whether they might be able to offer me the best deal going or any extras?
Obviously do not want to switch if broadband quality deteriorates

Additionally, thinking of getting a 'Smart' home security system so the quality of the broadband needs to be at least as good/better than Talktalk

Have run a speed test on http://www.speedtest.net:
DOWNLOAD Mbps

UPLOAD Mbps

I have also looked on reviews at Uswitch and SSE (have gas and electric with them) seem good too, and no fixed contract

Just renegotiated with virgin...got um down from £45 a month for there vivid 200meg broadband only to £26.50 for 18 months...average 170 to 180 on every speed test and was informed last month that our total household usage was 1.1tb...im thinking I got a great deal

Been with Talktalk for >10 years for phone and Broadband. However, current deal expires later this month, so thinking of switching. I pay around £28/month. I use it mainly for browsing and emails, with hardly any downloading of media.

Has anyone recently switched? I am based in outer south-east London. I have a Sky subscription, and with EE for Mobile.

EE seems to be reasonable according to Which magazine, and wondering as an existing customer whether they might be able to offer me the best deal going or any extras?

Additionally, thinking of getting a 'Smart' home security system so the quality of the broadband needs to be at least as good/better than Talktalk

DOWNLOAD Mbps

UPLOAD Mbps

I have also looked on reviews at Uswitch and SSE (have gas and electric with them) seem good too, and no fixed contract

You only use it for that stick with talk talk or go for the bt one. If it was me and that’s all I used for I’d just use my mobile data and use me phone as the router.

You only use it for that stick with talk talk or go for the bt one. If it was me and that’s all I used for I’d just use my mobile data and use me phone as the router.
Sorry mate, not quite sure what you mean there

Sorry mate, not quite sure what you mean there

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-tethering-2377921

Tethering is the use of your cell phone or another mobile device that's connected to the internet as a modem for another device, usually a laptop or a Wi-Fi-only tablet. This approach offers internet access on the go, wherever you are. You connect your phone to your laptop or tablet either directly with a USB cable or without wires through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

3G or 4G mobile data plan. It's especially helpful in situations where there are no other means of internet access: when there's no Wi-Fi hotspot like a Starbucks around, for example, or your cable modem goes on the fritz, or you're on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere and need an online map.

If you're already paying for data service on your cell phone and your wireless provider doesn't require any extra fees for using your cell phone as a modem for your laptop, tethering can also save you money, since you won't have to pay for separate mobile broadband service or buy additional hardware just to get your laptop connected.

You can also browse the web more securely using a tethered cell phone, because your information is being sent directly through the phone versus, for example, over a public open wireless hotspot.

Finally, tethering could help you conserve laptop battery power because you can turn off Wi-Fi on your laptop while you use your phone as a modem.

using Bluetooth to connect your phone and laptop. Tethering through USB would be a better way to connect than doing it wirelessly, because of that battery challenge.

If you can't get a cable sync to work, try these tips to confirm your USB port is workingcorrectly.

The speed of a tethered device may not be as fast as you might expect even on the cell phone itself because the information has to take that extra step over the air or through the wire — USB connections will generally be faster than Bluetooth. With 3G service on your handset, upload and download speeds will typically be less than 1 Mbps. If you're in an area not covered by mobile broadband, you'll likely get speeds only a few times faster than dial-up.

Depending on your particular phone and connection method, you also may not be able to use your voice service on the cell phone while it is tethered.

The biggest obstacle, though, is just being able to tether your cell phone to your laptop at all. Each wireless carrier has a different set of rules and service plans for allowing tethering, and each cell phone device may have its own limitations. How to tether your cell phone will largely depend on your cell phone service provider and your cell phone model. The major wireless carriers in the US are now charging extra monthly fees just to tether your phone or use a phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot for more than one device to go online.

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-tethering-2377921

Tethering is the use of your cell phone or another mobile device that's connected to the internet as a modem for another device, usually a laptop or a Wi-Fi-only tablet. This approach offers internet access on the go, wherever you are. You connect your phone to your laptop or tablet either directly with a USB cable or without wires through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

3G or 4G mobile data plan. It's especially helpful in situations where there are no other means of internet access: when there's no Wi-Fi hotspot like a Starbucks around, for example, or your cable modem goes on the fritz, or you're on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere and need an online map.

If you're already paying for data service on your cell phone and your wireless provider doesn't require any extra fees for using your cell phone as a modem for your laptop, tethering can also save you money, since you won't have to pay for separate mobile broadband service or buy additional hardware just to get your laptop connected.

You can also browse the web more securely using a tethered cell phone, because your information is being sent directly through the phone versus, for example, over a public open wireless hotspot.

Finally, tethering could help you conserve laptop battery power because you can turn off Wi-Fi on your laptop while you use your phone as a modem.

using Bluetooth to connect your phone and laptop. Tethering through USB would be a better way to connect than doing it wirelessly, because of that battery challenge.

If you can't get a cable sync to work, try these tips to confirm your USB port is workingcorrectly.

The speed of a tethered device may not be as fast as you might expect even on the cell phone itself because the information has to take that extra step over the air or through the wire — USB connections will generally be faster than Bluetooth. With 3G service on your handset, upload and download speeds will typically be less than 1 Mbps. If you're in an area not covered by mobile broadband, you'll likely get speeds only a few times faster than dial-up.

Depending on your particular phone and connection method, you also may not be able to use your voice service on the cell phone while it is tethered.

The biggest obstacle, though, is just being able to tether your cell phone to your laptop at all. Each wireless carrier has a different set of rules and service plans for allowing tethering, and each cell phone device may have its own limitations. How to tether your cell phone will largely depend on your cell phone service provider and your cell phone model. The major wireless carriers in the US are now charging extra monthly fees just to tether your phone or use a phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot for more than one device to go online.
Thanks for that. However, I think I’ll stick to the original plan

DOWNLOAD Mbps

UPLOAD Mbps

You can get Sky Fibre 35mbps for £25 a month includes line rental 18 month contract or Sky fibre max upto 63mbps for £30 PM
https://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/

DOWNLOAD Mbps

UPLOAD Mbps

I switched to EE about 3 months ago and think they're pretty good, but, any of them can have issues in any area. In your case you're using the same cable for all of them whether it's BT, EE, Plusnet (all of these are the same company, BT really, but see below), Sky, TalkTalk. Only Virgin and companies like Hyperoptic use their own networks. That means the speed should be similar for all the providers. Where it matters is the hub/router they give you as this determines how good the WiFi is around your home. EE use the same hubs as BT so they're pretty good.

I've just added EE TV to my package. With that you can record 4 Freeview channels at the same time and then cast live and recorded programmes to devices around the house using your WiFi, so no need for multiple recording boxes and cables all over the place and everyone can watch whatever, wherever they want. £8 a month is cheaper than buying a basic Freeview recorder box. It took 2 minutes to order it over the phone, simple process.

Having an EE mobile contract also gets you BT Sport at £5 a month, but it has to be one of the bigger data packages.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.