Building a Result Driven Organization: Ferran Soriano

don't know what you expect him to say, these things are never revolutionary, but as always the simple things done well make the biggest difference.

Papers up to their usual, despite his original stance on Van Gaal being posted about 4 years ago.

Van Gaal will do a great job at United btw, he'll take them back into the mix and set them up well, like Mancini did with us.

Neville Kneville said:
supercity88 said:
It is pretty basic business sense, nothing revolutionary or innovative with it. It is obviously crucial for us to increase marketing revenue etc but in terms of his football specific ideas - I think they need some work. He talks about a business model to run the playing side of things, but the trouble with football is that you cannot monopolise it like you can other industries, because you cannot control the fixture list, injuries, referees and those elements of chance and luck that can directly influence your output in terms of trophies. I completely agree that the authoritative manager of the Ferguson/Mourinho style is not good for the long term - unless they stay for a long time - but then where are you left afterwards? But in terms of success, both models can point to a lot of trophies. Whilst the Rags may be suffering this season because they have allowed Ferguson to effectively let the squad deteriorate, Barcelona aren't looking all that healthy and although you may be able to blame those issues on occurances since he left... he might not be at City forever either so will we go to pot then too? Unless that model is being implemented by Sheikh Mansour and any future Directors follow the mantra then it too, is only a short term model that could be equally as problematic.

Football is about winning trophies, great sides built on great tactics and long term thinking have failed to win things. Poor sides run by tough talking, authoritative managers have won things... the longer term view is only good in terms of developing future talent through the academy but it isn't like a conveyor belt where as one player ends their career they can be instantly replaced - some players are simply irreplaceable and for that reason, I think he is a little bit too unwilling to attach any weight to the uncontrollables like luck, injury and the fact it is a game... "The ball doesn't go in by chance" I would have to say, actually, quite often it does.

He mentions the element of chance at great length at the start, then talks about how you can improve the overall level of a club by good management.

It's not about having the same CEO forever, it's about having a system in place that doesn't collapse every time you are forced to make a change.

Mancini for instance wanted control of everything, like Ferguson. If he had been given that & then failed, we would have struggled like fuck to recover from it, possibly never done so with the problems of ffp thrown in.

If a big club is well managed at the top, it competes, forever. No it doesn't win every year & isn't immune to dips of fortune but it comes back. If it's badly managed, it can disappear into the lower divisions & win fuck all for decades, as we have proved.

If we'd had someone like Soriano in charge in 1968 we'd probably be twice as big as Utd now.

Great post. I thought it was interesting how he reacted to the question about Slurgie being a successful, autocratic manager. He said it was the manager who was special, not the club and that would be proven over the season. Ferran was absolutely spot on with that analysis, and I'm very surprised that none of the papers got on to that.

two things I didn't like.

1. He compared Sergio Aguero to Mickey Mouse
2. He basically said the local market doesn't matter, i.e the fans in Manchester and the global market is where it is at. He actually said the local market is not important.

Esteban de la Sexface said:

2. He basically said the local market doesn't matter, i.e the fans in Manchester and the global market is where it is at. He actually said the local market is not important.
ha ha thats funny who is pluto then ?

psycho_paul said:
If anyone wants to read the book DM me and they can have it. Tough in parts but the insight into what they're doing to the club is top.

Hi Paul, can't send you a pm? Anyway if you still have it I would love to read it, I have a mcfc memorabilia site so happy to give you something in exchange.
Regards

Esteban de la Sexface said:

think you have taken his comments a little out of context

His vision in football is incredible and there surely wasn't a better candidate out there to take us forwards as a club? Ferran and Txiki were a formidable duo at Barcelona and it's frightening to think how good they can make City be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.