Burnley (H) Post Match Thread

I agree on basically all points you made. I'm pretty sure Mendy in this team completely changes the dynamic.

Cancelo is weird in that on the left, he tends to come inside more and doesn't really provide the width Mendy does, but Cancelo still makes alot of chances.

Still think he should play there given how good he's been, probably with Foden to have a left footer, but also would like to see him get more time in his natural position where its alot easier for him to stay wide.

This is partly why I want Angelino back (but I think that ship has sailed) because he can play Mendy's role, and Zinchenko just can't. Zinny can play inverted well, but I think we need to move on from that, instead I could see him getting minutes in the double pivot.

The 3rd and 4th are my favourite as well for those reasons, it shows the promise of how we want to attack in the future, wide fullbacks. Not a coincidence that the rare time Walker actually overlapped with Mahrez we created a chance. I know people don't rate Walker as an attacking fullback, but honestly its as simple as run fast and cut the ball back (which he did) he doesn't need to think any more than that, a chance will be made.

While Stones and Mahrez got alot of plaudits in this game, rightfully so, I wanted to point out that Gundogan and Rodri were quite phenomenal in their own right in this game. I think they are adapting to each other overtime, learning what is required of them. Gundogan in particular absolutely dominated wherever he moved, and Rodri covered Mahrez on many occassions.
A good post and I agree about the evolving role of Rodri and Gundogan. However there is still a lack of pace in the centre (without Foden) that will be exposed by better teams than Burnley.
Where I disagree with you is on Angelino. I watched him come through the ranks at City and can't see him ever making a top-level PL player. His lack of spatial awareness and poor decision-making made him a liability in defence, worse even than Mendy at defending.

A good post and I agree about the evolving role of Rodri and Gundogan. However there is still a lack of pace in the centre (without Foden) that will be exposed by better teams than Burnley.
Where I disagree with you is on Angelino. I watched him come through the ranks at City and can't see him ever making a top-level PL player. His lack of spatial awareness and poor decision-making made him a liability in defence, worse even than Mendy at defending.

If Pep had given up on Mendy I think Angelino would be here.

He made it crystal clear at the beginning of this season, as did Omar Berrada when he did an interview in October that the club believe Mendy can and will get back to the player we bought.

Once you think that about Mendy there's not really any room in the squad for Angelino.

Cmon fella surely your not saying that stones should be in the team ahead of Laporte .think we are getting carried away. Atm .

I think Pep's comments after the Burnley match mean Stones is going to play over Laporte until he makes a mistake.

Just in case anyone missed my post earlier...

Manchester City vs Burnley – Highlights​

Thanks, still don’t know about the stones “foul” on the keeper and the high foot from gabby (next passage of play they have an even higher foot and no free kick given). These little things are what we are fighting every match, it did not matter yesterday but have already cost us this season - the free kick not awarded before the dipper goal for one. Our team has to be so mentally strong as they must get the feeling we are playing 12 every game

But that's a joke of a decision. Torres is about one yard from Jesus. There is no meaningful way that that can be considered a “pass”. Any more than Laporte “passed” the ball to Jesus against Tottenham last season. Just one of several poor decisions courtesy of VAR yesterday. But they're happening every week.
I agree with you in general but that would've been offside long before var reared its ugly head. Same as if a long range onside shot hits a player on the deck injured in offside position before going in.

Probably for the first time this season, we looked like the team of old. Mahrez was outstanding and ripped Burnley apart. He deserved his his hat trick and it was great to see the player we hoped we'd bought. When he is on form, he is unplayable and I daresay that Pep finds him just as frustrating as we do. If we can get this Mahrez alongside KdB and find some form for Bernardo then our season will look totally different. If we can get these 3 playing - I know, a big if but not impossible - then I honestly think we have a chance of some big trophies this year.

Burnley are never likely to test our defence, but with the long ball and big forwards they can cause problems. Stones was immense and won every header and played the ball so well. Again, Pep must be so frustrated because we can all see a genuinely world class player in Stones, but there's something not quite there with him - it's a mental block with him at times. He must also be aware that his career is drifting away and that the Euros are coming up. Let's hope we get him back as if we do, it will be like a new signing.

It's looking like the Dias signing has plugged the defence. We simply look much better when he plays. I know it's early days, but he could end up being the best signing we've made in years the way he's come in and looked like a 30 year old in his 10th PL season. Great signing. Cool on the ball, doesn't panic and will be our Captain soon, I'm sure of that.

You knew Burnley came here to sit back and hope for a counter, but once the early goal went in that was it. They capitulated and could not cope with KdB and Mahrez. They couldn't sit back and defend, or attack us so they had to just stay on the pitch and take another 5-0ing. They love taking a good hiding.

It goes without saying that VAR is a disgrace but for the life of me I couldn't see why the two goals were ruled out. And to show I'm not too bitter, I thought the Salah offside was a joke as well. It should be there for obvious errors, not whether someones dick is offside.

I don't mind teams like Burnley coming up for a season as they do bring some novelty to the PL. But I really hate it when teams like this stick around for a few seasons. They are awful to watch and are a throwback. Dyche always moans about every other team but if a side like Everton/Newcastle/West Ham etc offered him a job he would jump ship to get the chance of spending big cash. If he's not careful, he will end up taking Burnley down (good) and lose his reputation.

Great result and just what we needed. Welcome back City! :)
Good stuff

If not, as we get countered a lot then we have to join the club and do it ourselves.
I'd rather we didn't.
I can just about remember when diving started to become the norm in English football and, for a while at least, was glad that we didn't have one player in the team that went down like a girl. That was pre Hamann era obviously.
Fast forward 25 years and now 'simulation' or cheating is seen as a good thing. We have a National team peppered with divers and the worst one is the Captain.
As with diving, feigning injury boils my piss. If the authorities don't get a grip sharpish then it will seep into the game and become the norm.

The difference this game was that we scored early and then scored again. I'd dare to say that without that 2nd goal on 21 the longer it went on the more nervous we get and then one attack from Burnley and they're in.

Same against Spurs, we score early and cement that lead we would have won, its not like we were poor, we just need to score those important game killing chances.

I agree with you in general but that would've been offside long before var reared its ugly head. Same as if a long range onside shot hits a player on the deck injured in offside position before going in.

Strongly doubt it, mate. That wouldn't have been spotted with the naked eye, and even if it had, I believe that the man in the middle would have let common sense prevail. Torres played no active part in what went on. What VAR is now doing is applying the letter of the law, geometrically, as it were. The question of intentionality is being overridden. The letter of the law, applied rigidly,is killing the spirit of the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.