Burnley (H) Post Match Thread

Strongly doubt it, mate. That wouldn't have been spotted with the naked eye, and even if it had, I believe that the man in the middle would have let common sense prevail. Torres played no active part in what went on. What VAR is now doing is applying the letter of the law, geometrically, as it were. The question of intentionality is being overridden. The letter of the law, applied rigidly,is killing the spirit of the game.
Well yeah, obviously if it had been spotted. In todays game we will never know because linesman are told not to flag for offside until another player touches the ball or it goes in the net. Fucking crazy rule that does precisely rock all to improve the game. In fact it is helping to ruin it at a basic level, ruling out goals for nothing 'offences'

We are agreed. The law as it stands is stupid – I know, VAR didn't invent it – but its stupidity is being exacerbated by the fact that the technology allows you and indeed requires you to apply it rigidly, and in defiance of common sense. There are obviously cases where a player touches the ball, knowing what they're doing, and has a decisive effect on the movement of the game and the ensuing goal. If that is the case, then it is only right that the goal be disallowed. But a player who's only one yard away and gets the ball in his face, or on his head, without him actually knowing anything about it, because it happened so fast that it wasn't even visible to the naked eye in real timewell, as I say, that is a mockery of the spirit of the game. By the same token, last season Phil Foden did not ‘handle’ the ball that led to Mahrez's goal against Liverpool in any meaningful way.

A good post and I agree about the evolving role of Rodri and Gundogan. However there is still a lack of pace in the centre (without Foden) that will be exposed by better teams than Burnley.
Where I disagree with you is on Angelino. I watched him come through the ranks at City and can't see him ever making a top-level PL player. His lack of spatial awareness and poor decision-making made him a liability in defence, worse even than Mendy at defending.
Yeah the Angelino remark was more in line to keep up with a wide left back, but I could see issues with it. There is likely no chance now, and hopefully Mendy can stay fit.

Mendy and Cancelo as LB options is pretty good to me anyways.

I'd rather we didn't.
I can just about remember when diving started to become the norm in English football and, for a while at least, was glad that we didn't have one player in the team that went down like a girl. That was pre Hamann era obviously.
Fast forward 25 years and now 'simulation' or cheating is seen as a good thing. We have a National team peppered with divers and the worst one is the Captain.
As with diving, feigning injury boils my piss. If the authorities don't get a grip sharpish then it will seep into the game and become the norm.

Yes it's a worryingly trend as teams know if a player goes down holding his head the referee will stop the game. For spoilers like Dyche it's just another string to his bow to make football as dire and unwatchable as possible.

Yes it's a worryingly trend as teams know if a player goes down holding his head the referee will stop the game. For spoilers like Dyche it's just another string to his bow to make football as dire and unwatchable as possible.
Some credit to Burnley and Dyche, to keep a town of seventy thousand people in the premier League for five years and even achieving European football is little short of miraculous. Ok the footy might not be pretty but has been effective over several seasons and the man, the team and the town have to cut their cloth to suit their means. I worked In Burnley in the seventies and watched them frequently , found them keen and Knowledgeable football fans. One last thing in Burnley unlike most Lancashire towns you only see claret shirts not rags and dippers tops. I wish them well and hope they stay up.

I think Pep's comments after the Burnley match mean Stones is going to play over Laporte until he makes a mistake.
I’m ok with stones playing against Fulham but I don’t want him in that team for the derby game . That’s my opinion anyway

Some credit to Burnley and Dyche, to keep a town of seventy thousand people in the premier League for five years and even achieving European football is little short of miraculous. Ok the footy might not be pretty but has been effective over several seasons and the man, the team and the town have to cut their cloth to suit their means. I worked In Burnley in the seventies and watched them frequently , found them keen and Knowledgeable football fans. One last thing in Burnley unlike most Lancashire towns you only see claret shirts not rags and dippers tops. I wish them well and hope they stay up.
Nah,fuck em.

A fully fit and confident Stones is serious competition for any centre half.Laporte is far from his best going off last week,so,yes,its not an unreasonable statement.
Fair enough mate. That’s your opinion and I respect that . My opinion is that it was only a couple of months ago that we considered Laporte as our Vvd god how quickly things change .

Strongly doubt it, mate. That wouldn't have been spotted with the naked eye, and even if it had, I believe that the man in the middle would have let common sense prevail. Torres played no active part in what went on. What VAR is now doing is applying the letter of the law, geometrically, as it were. The question of intentionality is being overridden. The letter of the law, applied rigidly,is killing the spirit of the game.
Of course he played an active part. The ball hit him and went in the goal.

"The game was ruined by a referee who insisted on penalising every foul."

Intention has never been part of offside. And it's far harder now to be offside. Remember Shankly and "if he's not interfering with play what's he doing on the pitch?". Remember the controversy (and the stupid commentary) about this goal?

That was when (against what the law actually said) merely being in an offside position meant the flag went up. And remember this horrendous decision? There was a diagram in the laws at the time that said this wasn't offside (second clip).

I get all that but it's supposed to be the premier league and an entertainment sport, not some kind of war of attrition, with every dirty trick and spoiling tactic in the book used. So as someone else said, fuck them!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.