Burnley

Prompted by discussion in the premier league match day thread.

An interesting article that examines why this might be.

Why doesn't Sean Dyche sign more black players?

My views in a similar vein are this is in part due to financial restrictions and style of play.

Burnley play an old fashioned English style 442 and aren't likely to deviate from that for as long as Dyche is manager. That has resulted in them building up a British and Irish core and most of their recruitment has focused on acquiring players from championship or below (including relegated former pl clubs).

Not surprising then that when they sign a Black player in Mubongo he comes from Sweden (a country, as with most of Scandinavia, most heavily influenced by England in terms of football style of play) and plays in an orthodox style of a number 9.

They have also signed a few black lads for the under 23 team from other PL clubs, so refutes any credibility of a deliberate policy of discrimination.

Besides all that I hope they get relegated and Sean Dyche gets sacked and never works in football above the championship again. Not because of any imaginary racism, but because he is complete dinosaur lacking any ambition in style of play. They have to up there as one of the most boring teams in Premier league history.
You can be black AND English/Irish

I didn’t say you can't, that's your misreading something to be more than it is. Of the few black players that they have signed under Dyche most of the prominent ones were English. Andre Grey and Aaron Lennon are the two obvious ones.

The point is that not many players are at the level that Burnley are, suit their supposed style and are available at the price they can afford to/are willing to spend. For instance, I can't think of many players who could play centre midfield at Burnley and is Black and English/British. Delph maybe, Chalobah possibly.

Burnley don't take big risks on players regardless of ethnicity like other clubs have done recently i.e. Signing an inexperienced loanee signing like Ethan Ampadu by Sheffield United or a flying French winger like ASM at Newcastle United.

I didn’t say you can't, that's your misreading something to be more than it is. Of the few black players that they have signed under Dyche most of the prominent ones were English. Andre Grey and Aaron Lennon are the two obvious ones.

The point is that not many players are at the level that Burnley are, suit their supposed style and are available at the price they can afford to/are willing to spend. For instance, I can't think of many players who could play centre midfield at Burnley and is Black and English/British. Delph maybe, Chalobah possibly.

Burnley don't take big risks on players regardless of ethnicity like other clubs have done recently i.e. Signing an inexperienced loanee signing like Ethan Ampadu by Sheffield United or a flying French winger like ASM at Newcastle United.
I've got no pre-formed opinions on the matter so I'm not reading more into anything.

My only source of reference for my post was the article itself.

I'm just stating that after reading the article referenced in your post, which is a supposed examination into the reasons why so few minority players are signed by Burnley, that the reasoning outlines is complete bollocks.

There are plenty of black centre-backs in the championship who could play Burnley's style of football, same goes for wingers; whether they hail from England, Ireland or wherever else.

The article is complete nonsense.

I've got no pre-formed opinions on the matter so I'm not reading more into anything.

My only source of reference for my post was the article itself.

I'm just stating that after reading the article referenced in your post, which is a supposed examination into the reasons why so few minority players are signed by Burnley, that the reasoning outlines is complete bollocks.

There are plenty of black centre-backs in the championship who could play Burnley's style of football, same goes for wingers; whether they hail from England, Ireland or wherever else.

The article is complete nonsense.

It’s not just about availability and style it's about being good enough and falling within a certain price bracket. As I said Burnley don't take risks and it is interesting that he likes to sign players who have premier league experience with other clubs, even if they have previously been relegated. Erik Pieters, Ben Gibson, Dale Stephens etc. Other clubs take more risks and show more ambition in signings and style of play.

As I said I would be more than pleased to see them relegated and Dyche sacked.

Why do you think there aren't more black players at Burnley?

Nothing to do with Dyche. As a club, they haven’t historically had many black players. Whatever the reason, their town and by extension their fanbase has more than its fair share of racist knobheads, whether its electing BNP members to their local authority, booing Raheem or flying banners over the Etihad.
Remember their club’s owners joined the Hateful 8 arseholes despite having zero chance of European qualification. Wonder why that was

Nothing to do with Dyche. As a club, they haven’t historically had many black players. Whatever the reason, their town and by extension their fanbase has more than its fair share of racist knobheads, whether its electing BNP members to their local authority, booing Raheem or flying banners over the Etihad.
Remember their club’s owners joined the Hateful 8 arseholes despite having zero chance of European qualification. Wonder why that was
I can voucher for the fact that they definitely HAVE got a couple of new young black players on the verge of the 1st team.Will definitely help combat the small number of racist morons who will in time be weeded out and replaced by the many decent fans they have.

There aren't many black people in Burnley or the surrounding area.

Probably just coincidence with Burnley.
I remember Luton Town in particular being one of the teams that had some of the first black players. Ricky Hill and the Stein brothers.
It was a town at the time that the bulk of the population seemed to be Asian or Irish.
I used never associate German teams with black players but Munich have the following playing at the moment.
Gnabry,Boateng,Davies,Alaba,Sane,Coman

They used to have more though. It is difficult to compare against other managers because Dyche has been there so long but both Owen Coyle and Eddie Howe signed a greater percentage of black players. There was also a greater number of Scottish players, but this declined after OC left.

It is isn't down to racism, just the fact that Dyche is an uncompromising dinosaur who doesn't take risks on young players like Howe did (Zavon Hines, Stanislas at Burnley and Ibe and Solanke at Bournemouth) and doesn't have any ambition to play anything other than defence first. If he signs a winger they will end up playing most of the came defending but without reward of having a bit of freedom to express themselves. It's not to say that Black players can't fit in their team because they can, it's just there are less of these old fashioned "proper footballers" about that fit Dyche's template. He doesn't control the transfers of the u23 team though, so they have picked up a few kids that might not necessarily have fitted neatly within this rigid criteria.

They have priced themselves out of the market for some of the better players who happen to be Black moving out of the championship too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.