Buses back to Piccadilly.

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by jonnynuclear, 10 Jan 2018.

1. Newtoncc

Newtoncc

Very well put and i must congratulate you on your command of the English language, it flows like a sonnet poem, so eloquent yet so fresh.

You must be very proud

2. goatersnipple

goatersnipple

I had taken a few guiness before i posted

3. HarrytheBlue

HarrytheBlue

Although I'd rather walk from Piccadilly to the stadium (good exercise for an old git like me), I see where you're coming from. Last season when we played Everton, the crowd was half empty until half time because of transport issues in the city centre and a major incident further afield. Same at the Springsteen gig in 2016 - tens of thousands missed the first hour because of city centre transport issues. I could see the boss looking up at empty swathes of seats. You can put on extra buses but if the road network isn't working efficiently then they're about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. In my view, a major road improvement scheme between the city centre and beyond the stadium is required to improve its capacity to handle the increased traffic flows.

4. HarrytheBlue

HarrytheBlue

Our attendance to capacity ratio is pretty much in line with all Prem clubs at large stadiums. At Anfield, the seats are so close together that if five or six seats close together are empty, you barely notice. At our place, five or six empty seats close together jump out of the screen at you. At the Hemorrhoids Stadium, the camera angles are lower and focused on the pitch, but on the rare occasions they point to the stands, it's like our place. At our place, you get camera angles constantly focused on one side of the pitch and the crowd. Even worse for West Ham. They're pulling in some massive crowds, but there's always vast swathes of empty seats - or that's the impression TV gives. Must be embarrassing for them - a stadium not built for football - unlike our place where football was always part of the long term plan. The problem isn't insurmountable.

5. kev20971

kev20971

goatersnipple , So we can't point out that our attendances are up over previous seasons , but when you do look at the crowd , you can tell it's full apart from a couple of seats here and there. Also when we play the "smaller teams" that bring a couple of hundred , the top section (3rd tier ,SS3) is always sold out with none seasoncards City fans , so the must at least a 1,000 to 1,500 waiting for seats and willing to turn up most games .

6. city986

city986

Don't understand why we haven't set up some park and ride schemes. there are car parking at places like bell vue that could be used but that means looking at the bigger picture and not just sending email surveys which never look at finding a solution to the problem

7. jimharri

jimharri

You are Usain (rag) Bolt and I claim my £5.

8. BrianW

BrianW

I am convinced that we can grow our crowds more. We already have, and more on-pitch glories are already in the pipeline.

My point is that there are people (like me for example) who are reluctant to go regularly because of the transport hassle. If I were still 24, fit, and capable of walking 20 miles a day over hills without breaking sweat, I'd wonder what the fuss was about. But a fair few of our crowd are knackered old gits like me. In addition, there are a lot of younger people these days who like their comfort. There has to be a solution to this problem, and until there is there's no point in anyone (including the Club) rattling on about empty seats or people leaving early. It's that simple.

9. Mcfc Si

Mcfc Si

If anyone’s never walked back into town after a game I would highly recommend it. I used to get stressed out with the buses and trams, finding a parking space if driving, getting away after etc. Surely most punters can get a local bus or train into town and then walk it. It’s a 20/25 min walk, shed loads of others do it so you’re not walking down deserted back streets or canal paths on your jack. Many a time I can walk the whole way back and see just 1 tram pass me (and laugh to myself when I see everyone crammed in like sardines). You can enjoy every second of the game, last minute winners etc and even clap the players off the pitch without stressing about queuing up anywhere. Give it a try, you won’t look back

Last edited: 13 Jan 2018
  10. bladdered

bladdered

Yes I walk back to town now and it is quite pleasant as long as it's not pissing down. One thing the club could do though is have better signs around the stadium for the City Link walking path which I only found by accident the other week. Struggled to find it again midweek - its tucked behind the outside bogs if anyone wants to try it - but very handy alternative to Ashton New Road.