Buying a new TV

Good post. I have an OLED and an FALD (although it's Android, which i can't believe hasn't been refined to run smoother yet!). The OLED is much superior but we've already discussed the burn-in issues they have, the FALD has full HDR, is DolbyVision compatible (true DolbyVision unlike a lot of the other LED's) and is great in area's with a lot of light as we have it in the conservatory. The problem i found was that there wasn't a huge price difference between the OLED i have and the LED i ended up getting, but then i went for as good an LED as i could find and 65" whereas the OLED is 55". I think for most people a 42"-50" TV is fine and LED would also be ok, but if you're planning on getting the best out of 4k then it has to be at least 55" to notice any real difference and even then it's dependent on the content.

I still have our E6 and have run side by side best settings (non calibrated) on both of them with many associated feeds so can make decisions based on what I see and the difference for me is marginal with both sets delivering inecredible P.Q. Both sets came into their own with the 4k and HDR feeds and were an absolute joy to behold.

It's true what you say about the price differential between the two formats and now nearly on parity but when spending heavy money on a tech can you afford to roll the dice or do you go for piece of mind. For this second set my heart said OLED but my my fiscal mindset said QLED. LG are in the position of having to reduce margins and cost on the OLED because they are only too well aware that the Micro-led is only a sniff away from mass marketing afording potential for the same perfect black levels as OLED but without a danger of retention. It will be capable of delivering higher brightness levels than any current display technology and wide-gamut excellent color too. A win win situation with all the arrtibutes of OLED and even more but without the babysitting. I think I will miss the E6's 3D if it has to go and was the last of the oled panels that incorperated this wonderful feature. Avatar in 3D was truly mindblowing.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/samsung-qe65q90r

Last edited:
I still have our E6 and have run side by side best settings (non calibrated) on both of them with many associated feeds so can make decisions based on what I see and the difference for me is marginal with both sets delivering inecredible P.Q. Both sets came into their own with the 4k and HDR feeds and were an absolute joy to behold.

It's true what you say about the price differential between the two formats and now nearly on parity but when spending heavy money on a tech can you afford to roll the dice or do you go for piece of mind. For this second set my heart said OLED but my my fiscal mindset said QLED. LG are in the position of having to reduce margins and cost on the OLED because they are only too well aware that the Micro-led is only a sniff away from mass marketing afording potential for the same perfect black levels as OLED but without a danger of retention. It will be capable of delivering higher brightness levels than any current display technology and wide-gamut excellent color too. A win win situation with all the arrtibutes of OLED and even more but without the babysitting. I think I will miss the E6's 3D if it has to go and was the last of the oled panels that incorperated this wonderful feature. Avatar in 3D was truly mindblowing.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/samsung-qe65q90r
I didn't have the money at the time and went with the C6, have to say that the viewing angles on it are superb and the curve is very slight, it also has 3D but i have only used it a handful of times due to limited content.

4K at 43 inch is pointless you’d have to sit with your nose against it for any benefit, 55 or above is the way to go.

actually just checked .. its an led … been a good tv till now
LED's are quite cheap now as they're being replaced by OLED and QLED, you can pick a new one up pretty cheap tbh. Also if its a smart tv, most of the app dev's stop supporting older TV's after a while so the manufacturers end up removing the apps all together. I had an LG and they removed youtube off it and the Netflix app was barely useable and i know someone with a Samsung that has the same issue re youtube. Might be time to get a new one mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.