Call me unpatriotic...

Sam Eto's work visa said:
I have seen England games, I was in Spain in 82 and at Wembley for the game against the Scots when Gazza scored a screamer. I think it was the same day the IRA bomb went off in town??[/b] Personally I always say that international football doesn't really do it for me ,I'm a city man, but when the finals come around I seem to end up shouting for England.

I'm not unpatriotic but from a very personal point of view singing the National Anthem pisses me off. Don't get me wrong I am Proud to be English but I am NOT a royalist and any National Anthem with the phrase 'borne to reign over them' will not pass my lips.I would love to see a change in the anthem.

IMO the royals are a pampered throwback and a waste of oxygen. Just my opinion.

It was the same day, I was at Wembley as well that day & had to admit Gazza's goal was a cracker. Heard about the bomb in Manchester later that day, I think France were playing Spain at OT that day as well.

I follow international football & never miss a Scotland home game. Due to family & finances I don't make the aways anymore, but it's not like I need to worry about missing out on a tournament anytime soon.

Like someone else said I would trade a pre-season win for England lifting the World Cup, I have always had trouble getting behind a team that has so many players that I dislike.

I'm starting to enjoy watching England more these days, nothing to do with the fact the teams not half filled (at least) with ManUre players anymore, nothing..

Also now we have another England regular and maybe one or two more before the end of the window, I'm sure I'll be even more interested.

Maineblue said:
I'm starting to enjoy watching England more these days, nothing to do with the fact the teams not half filled (at least) with ManUre players anymore, nothing..

Also now we have another England regular and maybe one or two more before the end of the window, I'm sure I'll be even more interested.
I think that changes things, if you have a number of your own players playing then it's always more interesting.

I like watching England in the pub when they play in the World Cup or the Euros, particularly when on holiday. Must admit would like to see an English anthem. What I wouldn't do is go and watch them, cause even though there are plenty of good England fans, there are absolutely loads of dickheads who go to watch them just to cause trouble, particularly when they play in places on the near continent, like France, Belgium, Germany etc. If England fans behaved like the Irish or the Dutch fans, and made it like a big party, I would definitely go to the odd game, alas that will never happen.
Got to say though, think we have a decent chance in the world cup, so I will be cheering them on, IN THE PUB.

bronco said:
i have never understood this fascination with international football - my interest in the game comes from supporting city since the age of 8 and the england team has always been way down on my list of prioritys . ever 2/4 years the gutter press hail the latest england team as the best since 66 and there is a national outrage when they fail . i have always felt the FA treated the north of england(which is after all the birthplace of the professional game ) with comtempt and only ever staged matches here when they had to (ie.during the over long mega expensive rebuild of wembley ) i personally find a great many england "Fans" to be complete cretins , i have only once been to a full international (about 4 years ago) and will not be repeating the process as i was sat with some of the biggest wankers i have ever had the misfortune to come across (and i lived in stretford for 10 years) .

I am pretty much the same - I too have only been to one game and I absolutely hated the experience - crap fans, game and expensive.

I will admit I don't care about the England national side but it isn't because of individuals it is simply because I don't have an interest in them. I enjoy watching the international tournaments but that is ebcause I love the game of football. I would rather watch a whole host of nations before choosing to watch England in action.

stumpy_mcfc said:
alanjames24 said:
... But I couldn't give two sh!ts about the England football team and how they fare in the World Cup or any competitions for that matter.

The last time I really got behind them was Euro 96 and maybe that's cause I was 15 and the fact that we genuinely stood a chance and it was all on home ground...

I hate Neville (With a f**king passion), Beckham, Rooney and Ferdinand. While I admire Lampard, he has a penchant for being a right dirty bastard, as does Ashley Cole, (I used to think the same about Gerrard but I quite like him after last season).

The only players I admire in the squad are Theo Walcott (Probably cause he's too young to be a complete arrogant bastard yet) and SWP and even his presence in the team is not enough for me to wish them success.

Couple that with the fact that a lot of England supporters are plastic 'big 4' fans who think we have an inherent right to win something because we invented the sport and because their beloved teams' most arrogant players are in the squad and there is not one passionate bone left in my body for this bunch of cnuts.

On top of this, if they won anything I don't want another 50 years of 'Sir' Wayne Rooney or any of those other cocks telling me how 'magical' it was to win it, a la Bobby f**king Charlton.

Am I the only one?

Not my cup of tea or anything else for that matter - I would not got to watch them if the were playing on my doorstep BUT that is more down to me. I genuinely cannot stand most fans at other clubs so see no point mixing with them for a England game. However I do want to see us do well at all comps because it is very uplifting for the country - even though I do not care. I am MCFC end of.
I agree ^

the--dud said:
As a Norwegian living in Scotland, I share your sentiment hehe... Don't even want them to win anything, the Scots would moan for years and years!
Thats a good enough reason in itself to hope we win everything going!!!

obviously city is a day to day thing{going to the game,bluemoon,os,banter,transfers etc}but ive followed england away and the atmosphere and the craic is second to none and i dont understand why anyone who follows football{any side}wouldnt want england to do well!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.