Cameron suggests cutting housing benefit

kevinmcfc said:
I completely agree with him. The cost of housing is far too high and somebody needs to do something. Labour left this country in the biggest mess it has been in for over 100 years and he is trying to sort out the mess. Good for him.

Well we managed to reach page two without some numpty blaming Labour for everything but then,as if by tragic,up pops the usual apologist.
Could someone please let me know the date when the coalition actually becomes accountable for anything,as I would like to mark it in my diary?

Halfpenny said:
de niro said:
speccybob 8 said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18567855

The prime minister has suggested that people under the age of 25 could lose the right to housing benefit, as part of moves to cut the welfare bill.

Scrapping the benefit for that age group would save almost £2bn a year.

In an interview in the Mail on Sunday, David Cameron said he wanted to stop those who were working from feeling resentment towards people on benefits.

Mr Cameron said the existing system was sending out "strange signals" on working, housing and families.

He called for a wider debate on issues including the cost of benefits.

BBC political correspondent Vicki Young said the article was a clear appeal to core Tory voters and MPs who have criticised Mr Cameron for failing to promote Conservative values.

'Trapped in welfare'
The Mail quoted Mr Cameron contrasting a couple living with their parents and saving before getting married and having children with a couple who have a child and get a council home.

"One is trapped in a welfare system that discourages them from working, the other is doing the right thing and getting no help," he said.

Mr Cameron said the welfare system sent out the signal that people were "better off not working, or working less".

"It encourages people not to work and have children, but we should help people to work and have children," he said.

He said that he also favoured new curbs on the Jobseeker's Allowance.

Downing Street said they were Conservative plans for after the next general election.

Later this week, Mr Cameron will set out more proposals for proposals aimed at cutting the UK's welfare bill.

The Mail said those under consideration included forcing some unemployed to do community work after two years on benefits.

In March, the government's Welfare Reform Act received Royal Assent.

That Act - which applies to England, Scotland and Wales - introduces an annual cap on benefits and overhauls many welfare payments.

good, see this is what we need, bold moves to get us back on track whilst making more cadgers get a job.
well done again dave.
What jobs?

Just been working with a Polish lad who has been in the Country 3 weeks and has been working since his arrival , there are jobs if your prepared to work.

i kne albert davy said:
SWP's back said:
Damocles said:
Because this assumes the idea that there is a "right way" of living life, which is incredibly arrogant, presumptuous and downright offensive. What is "right" for an 18 year old kid on a council estate will not be "right" for a 23 year old living in Bowden, and vice versa.

No, everyone can live how they wish, it's just that those that wish to have children and not work will have to fund themselves as opposed to relying on the taxpayer to do it and rightly so.
Great idea but what do we do with the children let them die in the street if you can come up with the answer to that one i might even vote for call me Dave myself.

It's crazy but I'm not in a position financially to have kids responsibly so I'm not having any at present. call me old fashioned but I tend to think that the responsibility should be with the individual rather than the taxpayer. I'm sure there will be enough safety nets but it shouldn't just be a free for all where they can do what they want and know they will never have to work or worry about financing themselves.

As De Niro points out, they'll have to live at home with their folks and their kids, it may well make them more responsible in the future.

-- Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:33 pm --

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
kevinmcfc said:
I completely agree with him. The cost of housing is far too high and somebody needs to do something. Labour left this country in the biggest mess it has been in for over 100 years and he is trying to sort out the mess. Good for him.

Well we managed to reach page two without some numpty blaming Labour for everything but then,as if by tragic,up pops the usual apologist.
Could someone please let me know the date when the coalition actually becomes accountable for anything,as I would like to mark it in my diary?
Come off it Nij, we didn't make it 8 replies before Thatcher was blamed.

And the last givernment was still blaming the tories every pmq's in 2008.

Benefits that are paid should be replaced by a voucher system. These vouchers should only be redeemable at government run establishments, where they can be used to buy good basic foodstuff and clothes, in the case of child benefit children's sizes only. No cigarettes or alcohol would be handed out in these centres. People who didn't actually need child benefit would possibly be discouraged from using such a system.
This benefit way of life as got to stop it as ruined the country and is stifling its recovery.

SWP's back said:
Halfpenny said:
SWP's back said:
By making policies the majority of the country that vote agree with?

[insert cheap 'they didn't win a majority' response here]
But the coalition is the first government in 50 years to actually have the majority of the popular vote.
You know what I mean. Single party government is the norm in British politics as we all know, and despite 12 years of detoxification and rebranding the Tories still needed a second party to prop them up.

Halfpenny said:
SWP's back said:
Halfpenny said:
[insert cheap 'they didn't win a majority' response here]
But the coalition is the first government in 50 years to actually have the majority of the popular vote.
You know what I mean. Single party government is the norm in British politics as we all know, and despite 12 years of detoxification and rebranding the Tories still needed a second party to prop them up.
It took Labour 18 years to get back in did it not and that included the dreaded Thatcher years.

Anyway, everyone knew what would happen in a hung parliament and Clegg had said he'd try and make a government with the party who polled the most votes. No one was surprised by what happened.

SWP's back said:
i kne albert davy said:
SWP's back said:
No, everyone can live how they wish, it's just that those that wish to have children and not work will have to fund themselves as opposed to relying on the taxpayer to do it and rightly so.
Great idea but what do we do with the children let them die in the street if you can come up with the answer to that one i might even vote for call me Dave myself.

It's crazy but I'm not in a position financially to have kids responsibly so I'm not having any at present. call me old fashioned but I tend to think that the responsibility should be with the individual rather than the taxpayer. I'm sure there will be enough safety nets but it shouldn't just be a free for all where they can do what they want and know they will never have to work or worry about financing themselves.

As De Niro points out, they'll have to live at home with their folks and their kids, it may well make them more responsible in the future.

-- Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:33 pm --

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
kevinmcfc said:

Come off it Nij, we didn't make it 8 replies before Thatcher was blamed.

And the last givernment was still blaming the tories every pmq's in 2008.

Fair enough - we'll compromise,and blame David Lloyd George for giving women the vote in 1918.
It's all gone tits up ever since.
So basically it's the Liberals fucking fault as usual.

SWP's back said:

I'm in complete agreement with your first part; having kids shouldn't be a right you can claim on everyone else's expense; it should be a responsibility you work towards being able to achieve.

The living at home i'm not so sure about. I moved out at 18, went to Uni and never looked back (except when Christmas comes around and the foods great!) I'd argue having to budget from that age and continuing to run a house/car now has made me more responsible than if i paid half board at home, had all my meals cooked for me and my shirts ironed ready for the week.

On the other hand, those extra few years would have allowed me to save for a house deposit/be in a position to start a pension. Which is why i now play the Euromillions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.