Campaign To Bring Back The Old Badge !

Wheelsy OSC Sydney said:
HardyBarlow said:
The 'new' badge is crap. The Eagle? The Stars? Ridiculous.

I would like to see something like the old one but modernised slightly to bring it up to date.

With any badge, I'd at least like to see the words 'Manchester City' on it and the year the club was formed.
If you search hard enough, there is an example of a newer badge on Bluemoon.
I'm not going to repost it because it's been done a million times.

I'm sure there is, pal, and I bet it is far better than what we have now.

- Joe said:
I'm for a modernised circular badge, perhaps keeping the eagle in there somewhere but not the stars.

It's something Arsenal, Chelsea, Wigan and to a lesser extent Aston Villa & Boro have all done very well in the last few years

Exactly. Chelsea's badge is simple but effective, traditional yet modern. The old one just needs tarting up.

RealMancsAreBlue said:
Should we have one or should we just not bother, I think we should go back to the old badge personally, why? because I just do !

man-city.gif

or more to the point, we should never have changed it in the first place !

Dont you dare I have the new crest tattooed across the centre of my back !

Didsbury Dave said:
i know we only started using the old one in the early 70s, but that's only because badges didn't exist before then. Incidentally the old one pictured on this thread was actually different when it first came out. If Gary James reads he will certainly know the full story.

Modernise it and bring it back.

Badges are a nightmare issue because we all have views based on our first love of City or our first strong memory of glory. The history of our badges is covered in most of the books I've written but here's a brief review:

- White cross worn in 1884-5
- No badge worn on shirts other than selected cup finals until 1970-71 season
- In the 1950s (possibly earlier, but I have evidence from 1959) City were already using a round badge as the official emblem of the Club
- That badge was similar to the red rose badge of the late 70s-90s but instead of a rose it had the 3 yellow lines on a maroon/red background from the Manchester coat of arms, and blue/yellow/gold colours were used to highlight the City name.
- On 29th January 1972 City announced a new 'Trading Symbol' (their words at the time - we'd go mad if anyone called it that today!). It was registered on 18/01/72.
- That trading symbol was the red rose badge.
- By the time Franny Lee took over the rights to the badge had been sold by Peter Swales
- To regain some control Franny Lee & JD Sports worked together to create the current badge. Designed I believe by Mike Peek (I apologise if I've got this wrong) with the best intentions; I know he went to great lengths to try and capture elements of Manchester's history (all elements apart from the stars do tie into Manchester's history). The (latin) motto (which we all seem to love) came from this design and had never previously played any part in City's history.
- City did not wear any badge at all in 1904 FA Cup final or 1970 ECWC final
- City wore the Manchester coat of arms in the 1926, 1933, 1934, 1955,1956, 1969, 1981 FA Cup finals and in 1970, 1974, 1976 League Cup finals and in 1986 FMC final. It was also worn on League shirts for a season or so in the late 70s.

Today, Manchester council own the Coat Of Arms, and MCFC own the current badge plus a version of the red rose badge (hence its use on some merchandise). So any comments about City not owning copyright to this are no longer true (I believe City got them back in 2003).

There's a Government website that allows anyone to search on trade marks -www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm Have a look at the ones registered by City and by United (they've registered things like 'Pride of the North' as a Trade Mark!)

Of all MCFC badges (not the coat of arms) the early 70s (pre red rose) is the one that we first selected as our badge and it lasted from 1950s to 1971. It was certainly on match progs and the like during our most successful era. During the Red Rose badge era we only won one major trophy.

Don't like the new badge. Guess it depends what you are brought up with.

An updated/ modified new improved version of the old badge would be great.

Wheelsy OSC Sydney said:

A move in the right direction.

How can anyone still want to keep the eagle and the three stars when all it needs is the old one moderning like this.

to be honest.. i think this thread should be called Campaign to bring back RealMancsAreBlue. i miss the hilarity!

Why don't we just
Rename the ground Maine Road and the Bell End the Kippax?
Kick all those burger caravans and bring back to the pikies peddling those dodgey horse burgers in those handcart things
Invite a rabid set of dogs police horses on to the forecourt around the ground to foul?
Rename all the pubs as they were in Moss Side around the ground

Why because we've moved on

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.