Can they ever be caught?

I'd like to think we can, under Pep we should carry on picking up a trophy or 2 each season. Just worries me when Pep goes, we will then have the same issues the rags have had with instability and change of style. Would be amazing to keep going at this trajectory for a few years. We certainly deserve it as fans, but then so do 86 other clubs in their own eyes.
The only thing I'd say about that is that Barcelona have hardly gone to shit since he left. I hope that when he leaves, he'll leave behind a style of play that will last a generation of players.

The only thing I'd say about that is that Barcelona have hardly gone to shit since he left. I hope that when he leaves, he'll leave behind a style of play that will last a generation of players.
yes the beauty is, we are bringing very young players in and fingers crossed they are here long term

Updated with another League Cup. Makes us a standalone 2nd for most wins of that trophy in English football. It all starts somewhere.

My great grandson has texted me from the future. Liverpool are in the second tier. Manure have moved to L.A. and play in the American World Soccer Conference, where they ususally finish behind New York City. We win the prem every year. The European Cup was abandoned when UEFA made a new rule, barring anyone called City from the comp. Coventry, Englands number 2 side having been bought by Venzuela Oil Co, sued and won an EU ruling that UEFA were, in the words of the judge, " A pile of cheating twats" (sorry for the legalese, but I think we know what he was saying.).

Was having this conversation the with a dipper and rag the other day. It's not inconceivable that we can do it, however it is harder due to there being more competition at the top of the league now.

Look at the trophy count before Liverpool's run started in 1972.

Liverpool
League Titles: 7
FA Cup: 1
League Cup: 0
European: 0
Total: 8

Liverpool were bankrolled and when on to win; 11 league titles, 4 FA Cups, 4 League Cups and 4 European Cups (when it was easier to win, 32 teams/5 rounds and one year they won it they even got a bye and in the 60s won a QF on a coin toss) over a 20 year period, then United came along.

United
League Titles: 7
FA Cup: 3
League Cup: 0
European: 1
Total: 11

United were bankrolled and when on to win; 13 League titles, 4 FA Cups, 3 League Cups and 2 European Cups over 20 years.

City
League Titles: 2
FA Cup: 4
League Cup: 1
European: 1
Total: 8

Since 2012 we've won; 3 League titles and 4 League Cups. Win another trophy this this year and we're tracking at a trophy a season. Over 20 years we might not over take them but we might not be far off.

*I took the periods of dominance starting from the first league win kick starting the 20 year stretch.

I think football has been democratized in recent years and English football is better for it imo. But something Pep at city has highlighted is that domination by one team can still be done nowadays, and if we had him for twenty years of Pep there's no doubt we would be the dominant team of a generation.

I couldn't give a stuff as to whether we 'catch' them or not. It's a matter of supreme indifference to me, and I'm happy to leave such micropenisology to the rags and dippers. I just want us to be the best we can be and hopefully keep winning things

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.