Can We Opt Out Of Europa League?

Some on here have very short memories. There was a day when we went mental when we qualified for this cup through the Fair Play Leauge. I am as gutted as the next city fan that we may not get through to the next stage of the CL, But did I think we could win it at the first attempt? The main priorty for this season must be the prem and anything else we win a bonus.

rickmcfc said:
it would be great to win it, but its a nothing cup ...

Talk me through why it's a "nothing cup" and then, if that's your view, why you deem it worth winning?

rickmcfc said:
If we drop down into the Europa League, can we opt out of it all together? Dont get me wrong, it would be great to win it, but its a nothing cup and will seriously hamper our league chances which i feel is much more important. If we can, i say get out asap. If we cant do that, is there any rule which states we must play a certain % of players who were in the Champions League Squad? If there isnt, i would put out the EDS squad and have the first team focus on the league. Thoughts?

who the fuck do you think we are?

I see a lot of people talking about the learning curve in Europe. Well, Europa League is Europe last time I checked. Granted it is not the CL, but the teams participating play the same way as the teams in the CL. It's a war for every point and every goal.

If anything, the EL is a good opportunity for RM to tweak his continental tactics.

As a side note, Napoli has not played in the CL since the season 90/91. So much for learning curve.

Ragnarok said:
rickmcfc said:
If we drop down into the Europa League, can we opt out of it all together? Dont get me wrong, it would be great to win it, but its a nothing cup and will seriously hamper our league chances which i feel is much more important. If we can, i say get out asap. If we cant do that, is there any rule which states we must play a certain % of players who were in the Champions League Squad? If there isnt, i would put out the EDS squad and have the first team focus on the league. Thoughts?

Nothing Cup? Really? What arrogance. I take it you werent gutted when we went out of the Europa last season as its a 'nothing cup' to you

I was happy when Kiev beat us last year because if we'd gone four games further, we would have been too knackered to have finished third and probably wouldn't have had the energy to win the FA Cup either.

There is a reason the bigger clubs treat certain competitions with disdain. It's not due to arrogance, it's about rightful prioritisation.

If we end up losing the league by a point, as a tired team dropped points following a Thursday night trip to Ukraine, you might look at things more sensibly.

At the end of the day, the Europa League is a dumping ground for Champions League rejects and teams that weren't good enough to qualify for it. It's a runners-up cup and, therefore, is worth less than even the Carling Cup for me, especially when you consider the gruelling effects it will have on the team should we progress towards the end of the competition.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.