Can We Opt Out Of Europa League?

Bring it on. Lets not sound like everything we've come to hate. It's pretty disrespectful to every other team in the competition to ask if we can opt out. Even if we could then luckily it isn't down to the op. If we are in it then we should try to win it. I personally love European competition and it can only help the team spirit.

wouldnt wanna opt out, would focus more on the premier league but certainly would love to win it. away trips will be better so ive heard anyway, cheaper!

It's extra match day revenue, we'll be a seeded team, and we have the squad to cope.

Premier League and FA Cup should be the priority, but this 'picking and choosing' tournaments doesn't wash with me. We should aim to strive and go as far as possible in every competition we enter, and i for one would cheer parading the Europa League Trophy as much as the FA Cup.

5 years ago we would have loved to have been a seeded team in the Europa League.

Probably already mentioned but I can't be bothered reading the whole thread:

We get Uefa co-efficient ranking points or whatever they're called for winning matches in the Europa League, so the further we progress the more chance we've got of being in pot 2 for next year's Champions League.

kenzie115 said:

We get Uefa co-efficient ranking points or whatever they're called for winning matches in the Europa League, so the further we progress the more chance we've got of being in pot 2 for next year's Champions League.

No mate read it, the OP is pretending to be an arrogant arsehole, he has got a few hook line and sinker!

:-/

DD said:
Ragnarok said:
rickmcfc said:
If we drop down into the Europa League, can we opt out of it all together? Dont get me wrong, it would be great to win it, but its a nothing cup and will seriously hamper our league chances which i feel is much more important. If we can, i say get out asap. If we cant do that, is there any rule which states we must play a certain % of players who were in the Champions League Squad? If there isnt, i would put out the EDS squad and have the first team focus on the league. Thoughts?

Nothing Cup? Really? What arrogance. I take it you werent gutted when we went out of the Europa last season as its a 'nothing cup' to you

I was happy when Kiev beat us last year because if we'd gone four games further, we would have been too knackered to have finished third and probably wouldn't have had the energy to win the FA Cup either.

There is a reason the bigger clubs treat certain competitions with disdain. It's not due to arrogance, it's about rightful prioritisation.

If we end up losing the league by a point, as a tired team dropped points following a Thursday night trip to Ukraine, you might look at things more sensibly.

At the end of the day, the Europa League is a dumping ground for Champions League rejects and teams that weren't good enough to qualify for it. It's a runners-up cup and, therefore, is worth less than even the Carling Cup for me, especially when you consider the gruelling effects it will have on the team should we progress towards the end of the competition.

Blessing in disguise it may well have been but happy? Were you doing cartwheels as soon as the final whistle blew at the end of the second leg? I know I wasn't and neither was anybody else to my knowledge.

As Dubai Blue has stated, staying in the Europa League has it's pros and cons and here's another - if we had progressed past Kiev last season and still qualified for the Champions League then Balotelli would've served at least 2 games of his 3 match European ban last season, hence freeing him up for at least 5 out of our 6 CL group games this season rather than only 3.

And while it isn't exactly arrogant to prioritise other competitions over it, the OP's suggestion that we should ask to opt out of it certainly is.

glen quagmire said:
kenzie115 said:

No mate read it, the OP is pretending to be an arrogant arsehole, he has got a few hook line and sinker!

Hilarious.

;)

The point still stands though, if some people aren't bothered about winning the Europa League, winning matches is still helpful for next year, plus our players will get more exposure to European football, something which some don't have a lot of i.e. Micah, Lescott, Hart, Milner, Barry, Johnson.

glen quagmire said:
kenzie115 said:

He wasn't pretending.

And we will qualify for next years CL via the PL, unless something goes spectacularly wrong from now on, which it won't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.