Can We Opt Out Of Europa League?

Ragnarok said:
DD said:
Ragnarok said:
Nothing Cup? Really? What arrogance. I take it you werent gutted when we went out of the Europa last season as its a 'nothing cup' to you

I was happy when Kiev beat us last year because if we'd gone four games further, we would have been too knackered to have finished third and probably wouldn't have had the energy to win the FA Cup either.

There is a reason the bigger clubs treat certain competitions with disdain. It's not due to arrogance, it's about rightful prioritisation.

If we end up losing the league by a point, as a tired team dropped points following a Thursday night trip to Ukraine, you might look at things more sensibly.

At the end of the day, the Europa League is a dumping ground for Champions League rejects and teams that weren't good enough to qualify for it. It's a runners-up cup and, therefore, is worth less than even the Carling Cup for me, especially when you consider the gruelling effects it will have on the team should we progress towards the end of the competition.

Barring the arrogance, your point is somewhat valid say if we had a thin squad like spurs. Because of our rotation policy, we will still be able to field a strong side Europa League matches and still continue in the league strongly.
Maybe we could persuade Carlos to play?

Thats 'rag' arrogance if ever I heard it!

If we're in a Cup we play to win it - Im sure if we come 2nd in Prem and go out in semi of FA Cup (can happen to ANYONE) Then the Euro League would be a very fine consolation..............................dont turn red!

M18CTID said:
rickmcfc said:
If we drop down into the Europa League, can we opt out of it all together? Dont get me wrong, it would be great to win it, but its a nothing cup and will seriously hamper our league chances which i feel is much more important. If we can, i say get out asap. If we cant do that, is there any rule which states we must play a certain % of players who were in the Champions League Squad? If there isnt, i would put out the EDS squad and have the first team focus on the league. Thoughts?

Smacks of arrogance to me. The Europa League might be more detrimental to our team's form than the Champions League but saying it's beneath us doesn't sit well with me. A cup is a cup at the end of the day and our squad is better equipped than last season to deal with the rigours of it if we do end up dropping into it.

Yeah I think thats a stupid statement to make...please people don't compare it to the carling cup.

HorshamBlue said:
Ragnarok said:
DD said:
I was happy when Kiev beat us last year because if we'd gone four games further, we would have been too knackered to have finished third and probably wouldn't have had the energy to win the FA Cup either.

There is a reason the bigger clubs treat certain competitions with disdain. It's not due to arrogance, it's about rightful prioritisation.

If we end up losing the league by a point, as a tired team dropped points following a Thursday night trip to Ukraine, you might look at things more sensibly.

At the end of the day, the Europa League is a dumping ground for Champions League rejects and teams that weren't good enough to qualify for it. It's a runners-up cup and, therefore, is worth less than even the Carling Cup for me, especially when you consider the gruelling effects it will have on the team should we progress towards the end of the competition.

Barring the arrogance, your point is somewhat valid say if we had a thin squad like spurs. Because of our rotation policy, we will still be able to field a strong side Europa League matches and still continue in the league strongly.
Maybe we could persuade Carlos to play?
Who?

M18CTID said:
rickmcfc said:
If we drop down into the Europa League, can we opt out of it all together? Dont get me wrong, it would be great to win it, but its a nothing cup and will seriously hamper our league chances which i feel is much more important. If we can, i say get out asap. If we cant do that, is there any rule which states we must play a certain % of players who were in the Champions League Squad? If there isnt, i would put out the EDS squad and have the first team focus on the league. Thoughts?

Smacks of arrogance to me. The Europa League might be more detrimental to our team's form than the Champions League but saying it's beneath us doesn't sit well with me. A cup is a cup at the end of the day and our squad is better equipped than last season to deal with the rigours of it if we do end up dropping into it.
first thing i thought when i saw this thread

Yeah sure Europa League hasn't got anything on the Champions League but there was a reason we were in such a tough group, we were 3rd seed. Every game we win in Europa will help push our ranking up further and prevent getting such a tough group in the next seasons.
Plus it will provide us money from the competition and TV, as well as the fact it will be a good chance for players like Savic and Razak to get experience.

Well its looking like we are gonna be in it weather we like it or not. Really can't see Napoli dropping points at Villareal even if we do beat Bayern although Villareal did win at the weekend (at home to Real Betis) they just don't look capable enough of winning any champions league games. If we do drop down to Europa i think we should take the approach Spurs have this season and play a semi weakened side and hope for the best. It will disrupt our league chances if we play a full strength side in it and this season has gotta be about getting that league won!

Love to win the Europa but it's a hard slog! It needs revamping and less teams in it, put extra teams in the champs league or from the start have outright knockout 1 legged early rounds s/f two legged

The Europa League (or UEFA Cup) as I always refer to it as, is a fantastic bit of silver and one I'd be delighted to add to City's history. We have a deep enough squad in my opinion to mix and match the team and continue a dual assault on the Premiership as well.

It's all about winning things for me. At 36 years of age all I'd basically seen City win was Promotion (in various forms obviously) so the FA Cup Win has made me hungry for more. Even if we don't win the Europa League, there is still plenty of glory that can be achieved domestically. I want to see City winning League Titles, FA Cups and League Cups as much as European Glory. So much that can be achieved, so many adventures possibly ahead.

Champions League Glory (however nice) can wait for now. We have some catching up to do on the home front first.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.