Cancel Culture - does it exist?

Jk Rowling has been dropped by her film production company due to pressures from the actors concerning her expressed views on women’s rights vis a vis trans women. The company recently held a celebration of some anniversary of the first Potter film but she was not invited.
Cancellation writ large. Interesting that recently the Scottish gov backtracked and transferred trans women to men’s prison.

Riiigghhhhtt - so as a result of being dropped by a film production company J K Rowling is unable to sign deals with other film production company does it? Has that meant also that she has no access to any means of writing and further material? No computers no pens nor paper? Does her publisher know? I mean they have made a good living out of her published works I am sure that they would like to go again.

She hasn't been cancelled she has been dropped by one film production company and a few people that she has worked with have said they don't agree with her trans views and she has shouted about it like a spoiled child and that has been amplified by the r/w press however if you think she has been cancelled and we will never hear from her again then all you have done is bought the lie my friend

Riiigghhhhtt - so as a result of being dropped by a film production company J K Rowling is unable to sign deals with other film production company does it? Has that meant also that she has no access to any means of writing and further material? No computers no pens nor paper? Does her publisher know? I mean they have made a good living out of her published works I am sure that they would like to go again.

She hasn't been cancelled she has been dropped by one film production company and a few people that she has worked with have said they don't agree with her trans views and she has shouted about it like a spoiled child and that has been amplified by the r/w press however if you think she has been cancelled and we will never hear from her again then all you have done is bought the lie my friend
Cancelling is not about being dropped, it is about pressure from those who disagree with you to ensure you are limited in where you can air your views.
Climate change debate is a good example where several eminent scientists who challenge the main line find that scientific papers will not publish their work where peer review is important. The BBC has instructed their producers not to include this group in discussions, thus impoverishing the debate. An eminent British academic lost his visiting professorship at Columbia university because he gave talks supporting the Palestinian cause. The Jewish student’s organisation then pressured the uni with threats of boycotts etc. and they caved.
There are many examples of this phenomenon: it is the pressure on third parties that represents cancellation. It is a form of censorship.
Incidentally, do you know what other publishers action on JKR is? I don’t but you may find she is not welcome.

Last edited:
Cancelling is not about being dropped, it is about pressure from those who disagree with you to ensure you are limited in where you can air your views.
Climate change debate is a good example where several eminent scientists who challenge the main line find that scientific papers will not publish their work where peer review is important. The BBC has instructed their producers not to include this group in discussions, thus impoverishing the debate. An eminent British academic lost his visiting professorship at Columbia university because he gave talks supporting the Palestinian cause. The Jewish student’s organisation then pressured the uni with threats of boycotts etc. and they caved.
There are many examples of this phenomenon: it is the pressure on third parties that represents cancellation. It is a form of censorship.
Incidentally, do you know what other publishers action on JKR is? I don’t but you may find she is not welcome.

Do you think you would be as interested in this as you obviously are, if you didn't possess gender critical views?

Do you think you would be as interested in this as you obviously are, if you didn't possess gender critical views?
Ffs. I don’t possess gender critical views, whatever they are. You are just being insulting.
Freedom of expression is a cornerstone of democracy, without which we are all sunk.
Google professor David Miller and read his story, just one of many censorship scandals in academia. Look up also Steven Salita and how he was ‘unhired’.
Then come back and defend censorship.

Cancel culture only exists in the eyes of those who do not wish to be challenged, and for their views to be the only ones heard, without question. Morgan is a prime example, and one of its leading promotors, who flounced off set when his views were challenged. They have spent so long trying to cancel the wokes, that they have missed the point.

Ffs. I don’t possess gender critical views, whatever they are. You are just being insulting.
Freedom of expression is a cornerstone of democracy, without which we are all sunk.
Google professor David Miller and read his story, just one of many censorship scandals in academia. Look up also Steven Salita and how he was ‘unhired’.
Then come back and defend censorship.

Except you do and have expressed them numerous times.

I fail to see the parallels between JK rowling, a billionaire in USD getting refused an invite for a party or production company cutting ties with her and the other two cases.

Academics frequently get fired for going off on a crusade that university elites take a dislike to, the case you cite seems undeserving but it isn't anything new. Norman Finklestein got similar treatment for being vocal on same issue.

The other case involves defamation, universities aren't in the habit of "wasting" money on legal fees which they prefer to spend on research. Newspapers don't publish things for same reason, it's not really cancel culture. It is powerful people controlling their publicity and will always be an issue.

Except you do and have expressed them numerous times.

I fail to see the parallels between JK rowling, a billionaire in USD getting refused an invite for a party or production company cutting ties with her and the other two cases.

Academics frequently get fired for going off on a crusade that university elites take a dislike to, the case you cite seems undeserving but it isn't anything new. Norman Finklestein got similar treatment for being vocal on same issue.

The other case involves defamation, universities aren't in the habit of "wasting" money on legal fees which they prefer to spend on research. Newspapers don't publish things for same reason, it's not really cancel culture. It is powerful people controlling their publicity and will always be an issue.
Show me where I have expressed gender critical views.
JKR only came into the dicussion as I was replying to a post that mentioned her. There is, however, a theme of freedom of expression running thru all this. Are you in favour?

Last edited:
Cancel culture is real and prevalent.
The irony is that those that practice it are often the same people trying to espouse, express and expand their own views on what they deem should be the new normal.

Real freedom is the ability to say what you want, when you want, and allow others in society the freedom to ignore it…not try to bend society to make you an outcast, or even worse, a criminal.

Like many things in society, the pendulum has swung too far.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.