Carabao Cup 4th Round Draw | Liverpool (H) | 8pm, Thurs 22nd December

We could put out a stronger team than many are expecting.

I think the only players we can rule out are the ones who reach the Semi-Final or Final. Anyone who is out before that will have almost two weeks before we play Liverpool.

Portugal have three of our key players in Dias, Cancelo and Bernardo who are all starters for their national side and I think they could go far so I doubt they'll be involved unfortunately.

Spain are likely to go deep in to the tournament but isn't Busquets still seen as first choice so I doubt Rodri will be playing every game. Laporte will probably start every game though.

Argentina could go far but Alvarez not being available isn't a problem as Haaland will be.

Brazil will probably reach the latter stages but Ederson is their second choice keeper so he won't kick a ball unless something happens to Alisson. I think Ortega will start regardless but Ederdon could still be on the bench if he's not had anything to do during the World Cup.

You'd expect Germany and Belgium to go far but the conditions are less suited to the European teams so the likes of Gundogan, De Bruyne, Akanji and Ake may not necessarily reach the Semi-Final/Final.

Stones is a starter for England but Grealish and to a lesser extent Foden will probably be limited to substitute appearances. Personally, I think England will be out by the Quarter-Finals anyway and if that's the case I don't see why they couldn't all have some involvement in this game.

Walker and Phillips are just coming back from injury so if they can get two or three games under their belts then they could be ready to start against Liverpool.

Haaland, Mahrez and Ortega aren't going to the World Cup and I doubt Gomez will be either.

Overall, I think we could potentially put out quite a strong side for this but obviously a lot depends on what stage the players exit the tournament and how many minutes they've played. If I was to guess, I'd say our Spanish and Portuguese contingent plus Alvarez are least likely to be involved. After that I would say KDB and Gundogan could struggle to be ready in time but I think the rest of our squad all stand a good chance of playing against Liverpool.

My predicted line-up:

Ortega
Walker
Akanji
Ake
Gomez
Phillips
Palmer
Foden
Mahrez
Grealish
Haaland

That wouldn't be too bad all things considered.
Not overthinking then?

Still fund it strange they used a clear glass bowl that both Rags doing the draw could probably easily see the numbers on the balls.
Then after picking out Liverpool, he asks what number are United then after being told the number, he picks that ball as a home team.

Last edited:
I'd have thought there wouldn't be many of our squad still out there after the qf stage (dec 9th & 10th). The Portuguese lads, Laporte and Rodri, and Ederson. Sorry @BlueHammer85 ,but I can't see England getting to the semi finals.

Same, i think we play Germany QF and go out

never know though

Salah, Kelleher, Thiago, Matip, Gomez, Robertson, Tsimikas, Ramsay, Jones, Keita, Diaz, Jota and Firmino will be available for them right away.

We will have Haaland, Mahrez, Ortega and then academy JWE, Palmer and Gomez.

Irrespective of what happens in world Cup they will have fresh legs

They won't, we'll have some back before the world cup finishes.The reason we have more there is we have more better squad players.The difference between rested and match fit is also unpredictable. Confident we'll beat them
Whilst I wouldn't share your confidence (I think we have a 50/50 chance and nothing more), I am quoting this purely to express my admiration for a rare example of a sentence in which the word combination "more better" is grammatically correct.
Well played, blueparrot.

On a side note, would be interested at all in helping me dig up my long dead 3rd class English teacher..?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.