Care home - financial advice

All the best with that ob, and if it’s any consolation, I think we all feel like we should have treated our Mams better at some point during our lives, their response will nearly always be “ don’t be a daft sod, I’m your Mother and will love you unconditionally”.

It’s certainly not easy. My mum is waiting for a financial assessment after my Dad went in a home. She’s now worried sick she’ll be destitute. They sold up years ago and rent down south. He transferred most of his money to her years ago when she realised his annuity wasn’t transferable - that was a major fuckup. I believe draw downs are transferable so doubt I’d get an annuity in retirement as they pay a lot less on joint policies. My wife’s mum had burned through 600k in a home before she died so my wife got nothing.

If I get it I’d be tempted to have an accident in the car so at least I wouldn’t be burden on the family and they’d get something.

Seeing someone you love have this disease is totally heartbreaking and forgetting who you are.

Reactions: ob
Get one half of the house put in trust to you when the inevitable happens your mum can still leave her half to you, unless she goes the same way, the care home can only take your dads half not your mums

Reactions: ob
Get one half of the house put in trust to you when the inevitable happens your mum can still leave her half to you, unless she goes the same way, the care home can only take your dads half not your mums
Changed will so dad's half goes to family rather than wife. Can't change hers as she doesn't have mental capacity

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.