Carlos Tevez Must Stay

Skashion said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Skashion said:
Must he indeed. His lack of goals is one of the main reasons we're not in the title race.
Just his??

Bit unfair that, being the highest goal scorer in the team
I would say Silva, Nasri, Yaya, Aguero (injuries though), Dzeko, Mario(when here) should have all scored a few more along with not having jolo around for corners anymore
Tevez, 11 goals in 1994 minutes = 181 minutes per goal
Aguero, 10 goals in 1669 minutes = 166.9 minutes per goal
Dzeko, 12 goals in 1431 minutes = 123.4 minutes per goal

Tevez has not had a great season by any stretch or bounds of the imagination and yet we must keep him apparently.
There isn't a stat in the world that will tell you without Tevez in the side there is absolutely no chance we'd have won last night. But stats are all that matter apparently.

Since around Christmas - around when Mancini said he wasn't scoring enough goals or playing well enough for us to win games through his oh so terrible man management skills(!) - Carlos has been in as good a run of form as i've seen him in his whole career. In recent weeks he's been exceptionally good.

Cant see him signing a new deal and for the same reasons I cant see him signing for anyone else (why would he?) 1 more season and a free transfer to Boca where he gets to score 50 goals a season and be the hero

It's not the case of "give him a new contract" it all depends on whether he wants to stay, and we can't force him to if he lets his contract run down. All indications that he's given so far are that when this deal runs out, he's back off to Argentina which he is more than entitled to do. I'll wish him well and good luck with no hard feelings when he does so.

Skashion said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Skashion said:
Must he indeed. His lack of goals is one of the main reasons we're not in the title race.
Just his??

Bit unfair that, being the highest goal scorer in the team
I would say Silva, Nasri, Yaya, Aguero (injuries though), Dzeko, Mario(when here) should have all scored a few more along with not having jolo around for corners anymore
Tevez, 11 goals in 1994 minutes = 181 minutes per goal
Aguero, 10 goals in 1669 minutes = 166.9 minutes per goal
Dzeko, 12 goals in 1431 minutes = 123.4 minutes per goal

Tevez has not had a great season by any stretch or bounds of the imagination and yet we must keep him apparently.
Just because that's the averages that are worked in the apparent goal and minutes he has played that doesn't mean if he played the same amount of minutes as Tevez he would have maintained the same minutes per goal ratio that he has now.

Also; who were the goals against, what form were those teams in, did the opposition play well in that game, what score was it when he scored, what was the weather like, was there a refereeing decision that was wrong when he scored... I'm not saying Edin has scored goals that are any less inportant, but these are factors that will be different between everyone's goals.

Look at Mario Gomez. He scored an absolute bag full of goals for Bayern last season and Mandzukic has come in, scored fewer goals but is actually far better for the team than Gomez even though Gomez has never really done anything wrong in anyway for Bayern.

I know all this about Carlos wanting to go home but as has been metioned he's only 29, not 35.
The fact is we all have Utd fan friends (although a lot of us wont admit it) and if you ever get a sensible conversation out them them, the majority will tell you they believe Tevez to be our best player and the one they miss the most. Now whilst I believe nearly all our players would get in their side (thats for another thread) the fact remains he is a great footballer and he's our great footballer and at the minute he seems happy to be here.
If as looks likely we are going to let Dzeko go then we need to strikers to replace him and Mario. Under those circumstances it would be daft to let once of our best players leave or walk away in a year.
I think we will try and get him to sign an extended contract keeping him for three years (and maybe letting him go after two) but it would secure him for the time being and he would be hard to replace.
Nobody in this squad works harder than him and whilst we have all had issues with his behaviour in the past, its the present and future that counts.

We can't keep chopping and changing our strikers every year. Are people really suggesting that we buy 3 new strikers?! We need to keep Tevez!

Shaelumstash said:
There isn't a stat in the world that will tell you without Tevez in the side there is absolutely no chance we'd have won last night. But stats are all that matter apparently.
Such idiotic logic. This is why so many people shat themselves about the prospect of Tevez leaving in the summer before the 11/12 season. The pundits likewise. Paul Merson even said we'd struggle to finish in the top four without Tevez. I was the opposite, I maintained Tevez's goals were easily replaceable and predicted we'd be champions. Tevez scored just 4 of our 93 goals that season. Why are none of Tevez's defenders taking any notes. He barely plays, we score loads, despite pants-shitting predictions of decline. He plays loads, we don't score as much, despite pants-wetting predictions of strolling to the title.

Now, I'm not going to put it all at Tevez's door but the facts speak for themselves. We've let two goalscorers in Balotelli and Johnson leave, and we've been unlucky with injuries. However, neither Tevez nor Aguero have been scoring at the rate we need to win titles. Personally, I think having too many similar players stymie one another. When Silva and Nasri both play, they are individually less effective. When Tevez and Aguero play, they are individually less effective.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.