CAS judgement: UEFA ban overturned, City exonerated (report out p603)

I haven't been able to post my views since publication of the report. I'll also face difficulties in posting for some time to come (this is a one-off contribution and I won't be able to respond to replies to it).

But the conclusion to that article, especially the closing paragraphs, is the ultimate takeaway from CAS. This is all the more valuable as it comes from a legal professional who's (presumably) neutral in terms of fan allegiance.

I also note that CAS has been called not fit for purpose by some of our detractors in recent days. Not so. What's shown itself up as most unfit for purpose in this saga is the British football media.

City were charged with inflating revenue under sponsorship contracts whose fair value wasn't contested by UEFA, under which the relevant services had been provided, and which were underwritten by organs of the Abu Dhabi Emirati government.

All of this was in the public domain. And it showed, as many of us on here repeated ad nauseam, that MCFC would highly likely prevail before CAS unless UEFA possessed evidence hitherto unknown to us. Of course, they ultimately didn't.

Yet the British football media unanimously gloried in the prospect of our demise from the publication of Der Spiegel's revelations onwards. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall one media outlet (and I mean literally not a single fucking one) ever at any stage suggesting that City may prevail.

It was all in the emails, they gloated. Well, chaps, take a look at what the CAS says about that. Should hardly have required the Brain of fucking Britain to work it out, should it.

Now, your level of performance has been truly execrable on an objective level from any body of professionals with pretensions to even bare adequacy as a group. One issue is that we find football writers trying to grapple with complex issues of finance and law when they're, perfectly understandably, lamentably ill-equipped to do so - even those who claim expertise in the relevant areas. But there's a deluge of cases where the ineptitude is bound in with bad faith: they're also desperate for us to fail.

Well, it isn't failure, is it? Quite the contrary. On the main point, the one that matters, the one on which UEFA's AC tried to hang an extended ban, it was rather emphatic: as has been said elsewhere, count the usage of terms such as 'no evidence' in the report. Anyway, try to convert the result into football terms and you're probably looking at something like 4-0.

By all means indulge your incompetence and bias by trawling through the rest of the report, the flim-flam, for out-of-context phrases you can use to discredit City for the delectation of your clickbait sheep. Go big on the barely relevant obstruction point if you want to. We're happy to have obstructed an investigation mired in illegally obtained materials, prejudicial conduct, and vicious and self-interested third-party lobbying, all egged on by vacuous press cheerleading.

The thing is, you've shown us what you are now, haven't you? We knew all along, of course, but you used to try and gaslight us. You reported on us fairly and we were too thin-skinned to see it, you used to say. That won't wash any longer, will it? Act as PR shills for our enemies in the way you seem to want to. Fine. Don't expect a reaction from us other than utterly fucking despising you for it, though.

A final mention for David Conn, the self-appointed conscience of football. I long regarded his professional success as an example of Emperor's new clothes syndrome as others queued up to praise him extravagantly. I did, however, respect him for what seemed to be an ethical approach and genuine integrity.

What a sad state of affairs, then, to see his tendentious output over the last few months. It truly rivals the worst imaginable from any bigoted, comically biased, bottom-feeding hack scum that's out there. Still, chin up, David. You can always trot off back to FC United and help your mate Walsh be the exemplar of soul in modern football. Oh.

OK, maybe The Guardian will let you write a bit for the front end of the paper. Oh, no, another no-go. You did those stories on Orgreave a while back and they were fucking dreadful so you were sent back to the toy section. Looks as though you've found your level, then, doesn't it. As have City, however much you and your journo mates wish it were otherwise.
Great post P, and get well soon please.

Winter is conspicuously from old money so much less likely to need to prostitute himself to pay his mortgage, or even have a mortgage at all.
Winter does have previous though. I used to enjoy his writing when he was at the Telegraph. But then Sir Baconface invited him to (I think) a pre season tournament. He came back completely brainwashed and, after that, every article Winter wrote tried to shoehorn in what a genius Slur Alex was and how winning was in the rag's DNA (whatever the hell that means). Pretty much stopped buying the Telegragh after that.

Winter does have previous though. When he was at the Telegraph, Sir Baconface invited him to (I think) a pre season tournament. After that, every article Winter wrote tried to shoehorn in what a genius Slur Alex was and how winning was in the rag's DNA (whatever the hell that means). Pretty much stopped buying the Telegragh after that.
Winter is a dilletante. He ingratiates himself with whoever is most successful at the time.
Always thought there was an element of the “Toff ironically enjoying slumming it with the proles” about him. A bit like GDM on here...

Why do you think he was positive about us before Der Spiegel then? The people running City are paid top dollar to find solutions. Not to say that’s too difficult we won’t bother trying.
Actually, I just checked the last two or three weeks of Winter's Twitter - he voted for KdB in the POTY award and waxed lyrical about Sterling, saying he was England's most important player and a "special talent." So, not all bad then. He's just on the wrong side of history re: City/UEFA.

Actually, I just checked the last two or three weeks of Winter's Twitter - he voted for KdB in the POTY award and waxed lyrical about Sterling, saying he was England's most important player and a "special talent." So, not all bad then. He's just on the wrong side of history re: City/UEFA.

Thanks Nails. Good information mate.

Hopefully, Henry will see the bigger picture around the CAS decision some day. We did shoot ourselves in the foot a bit with some of the stuff in the Club’s emails, that wasn’t illegal but was fuel to the fire for our enemies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.