CAS judgement: UEFA ban overturned, City exonerated (report out p603)

Another negative that rarely gets an airing is that a European Super League is an attractive proposition when you are winning, or at least challenging. Imagine finishing in the bottom 5, three or four years running. I'm sure the fans of clubs, who have only ever known a top four spot in their respective leagues, would lose interest very quickly when their teams become cannon-fodder for those actually competing for the top spot.

However, utd becoming the G14 equivalent of Newcastle or Villa would be a sight to behold.
I’ve said this since it first got discussed. None of the teams who want it can handle not winning their domestic leagues, imagine their reaction to finishing bottom!!

Not many United fans like to talk about the fact that the entire Glazers' operation was built on oil money. Just google Zapata corporation and Malcolm Glazer.
The Rags exist in a parallel universe where it's perfectly ok for them to receive millions from Saudi Telecom (their longest established sponsor) which is funded by the Saudi regime but not ok for the Newcastle takeover to go ahead. And the main reason for blocking the Newcastle sale was pressure put on the Premier League by one of its biggests Broadcast sponsors....Bein Sports run by the Qatar regime.
How do we know it was Bein?

Another negative that rarely gets an airing is that a European Super League is an attractive proposition when you are winning, or at least challenging. Imagine finishing in the bottom 5, three or four years running. I'm sure the fans of clubs, who have only ever known a top four spot in their respective leagues, would lose interest very quickly when their teams become cannon-fodder for those actually competing for the top spot.

However, utd becoming the G14 equivalent of Newcastle or Villa would be a sight to behold.
They'd ensure there was some cannon fodder in there, to whom the money was more important than the glory. Do you think Spurs or Arsenal fans would be bothered too much about coming bottom if they were guaranteed £50m just for taking part before a ball was kicked? Probably run it like the CL as well, with groups, play-offs, knock-outs and maybe like the NFL/MLB with two different conferences. So most clubs would have an interest as long as possible.

But at the end of the day you know it would be Bayern, Juve, Real Madrid & Barcelona, with maybe PSG, Liverpool or someone else occasionally getting a look in.

In terms of why did we argue the admissibility of the emails, and the time barred aspect, it is the duty of the legal reps. to advise every avenue available and the chances of success with each particular argument.
Remember the accusations were that we breached a set of rules which unfairly seek to preserve the status quo which were written by, and subsequently prosecuted, evaluated and tried by, then the appeal subsequently heard and rejected by the same people who wrote the rules. It’s not like it was match fixing or some big morality issue. It’s technical.
So why should there be any toss whatsoever given about how city challenge, and ultimately destroy the prosecution case. As it happens I agree with PB that everything coming out so to speak publicly demonstrates what an utter farce the whole thing was and should have been seen as such by the press. Yet Delaney and others still tried to stir up s*it even in the face of the clearest possible rejection of UEFA’s case so it would have made little difference in the “minds” of the various sports “journalists” because they had already concluded City were guilty. It’s utterly pathetic how they love to spin negativity about an English team, still in the CL, that has transformed the game for the better in England. It’s up to the rest to catch up now, their attempt to stop us by other means has failed miserably so let them “do one”.

UEFA selected their representative and he obviously went with their plea ,we selected a representative who went with our plea/defence , the third i believe was an independent selection and he looked at the evidence and gave us the decision. So f*ck all this talk about we only got a majority , it was never going to be a unanimous decision as long as UEFA had their chosen representative at CAS.

How do we know it was Bein?

I think it's overstatement really.
BeIn were certainly agitated over Saudi Arabia first pirating and then cancelling their coverage. I imagine they lobbied.

Basically, it was a complete abdication of responsibility by the authorities.
"We think that Saudi Arabia as a state have to be listed as a director".
"That can't be done, a state can't be a director."
"That's your problem".
"HuH?"

R.59 of CAS statutes states:
"The award shall be rendered by a majority decision, or in the absence of a majority, by
the President alone. It shall be written, dated and signed. The award shall state brief reasons. The sole signature of the President of the Panel or the signatures of the two co-arbitrators, if the President does not sign, shall suffice."

So basically the president of the panel only votes if the other two arbiters cannot come to a (unanimous for a panel of three) majority decision.- I believe that if the president votes it says so in the judgement that the decision has been made by the President. I am looking for such a judgement to prove this but have yet to find one.

Makes sense to me. The bottom line is City were exonerted from the UEFA charges and a two year ban from European competitions was lifted.

I am not sure why some people here appear obsessed with not just how decisions were reached but by whom. We are not privy to such information as is not published so can only speculate. Judges are objective by definition and questioning the process and impartiality can only undermine the outcome - which found in Citys favour. That is good enough for me even though others may disagree.

As I said yesterday, the 1 could be relatively mild, in that they weren't comfortably satisfied that City did something they said they did. If, on a scale of 100, 60 is 'comfortably satisfied', that dissenting voice could have been anywhere between 0 and 59. We don't know.
Sorry to be ignorant of the full 90 od pages but is it possible the one against was actually not in agreement with any fine rather than assuming the one dissenter was pto UEFA?

They'd ensure there was some cannon fodder in there, to whom the money was more important than the glory. Do you think Spurs or Arsenal fans would be bothered too much about coming bottom if they were guaranteed £50m just for taking part before a ball was kicked? Probably run it like the CL as well, with groups, play-offs, knock-outs and maybe like the NFL/MLB with two different conferences. So most clubs would have an interest as long as possible.

But at the end of the day you know it would be Bayern, Juve, Real Madrid & Barcelona, with maybe PSG, Liverpool or someone else occasionally getting a look in.

there would be honorary quarter-finalists, and someone would be thrown the Leicester bone once every 10 years or so, but they'd divvy it up between themselves otherwise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.