CAS judgement: UEFA ban overturned, City exonerated (report out p603)

Some good points as ever there Marvin. The question is, why does anyone sponsor football clubs? What do Chevrolet and Aeroflot gain from being sponsors of United? You can't buy a new Chevrolet in the UK or even Europe. Aeroflot don't fly from most UK airports. But it's about brand recognition. Their names are seen all round the world as part of the most-watched league in the most-watched sport. It's advertising pure and simple. Etihad once had grand designs to be one of the world's leading airlines and, along with the other two Gulf airlines, promoted themselves via their sponsorship of City.

But let's take the other side of the coin. Aeroflot are majority owned by a repressive regime. We know that Standard Chartered & Western Union, Liverpool's two major sponsors, are two of the biggest convicted money launderers in the world. Emirates are another UAE airline and sponsor Arsenal and their stadium. Chelsea are owned by someone who isn't even allowed a UK visa as he's under sanctions. More often than not you'll find a gambling company no one has heard off on the front of someone's shirt. Half of last season's PL team had one. Brighton are owned by someone who trades heavily in the betting markets.

No one ever talks about the motives of US owners, who hide their accounts in Delaware or offshore tax havens (as do other investors). No one appears to be interested in talking about agents and their malign influence, or the execrable standard of refereeing under Mike Riley. There should be a concerted media campaign to get rid of Riley, who's fucked up time and time again. The Guardian holds politicians to account but i've never seen any of their football writers call for Riley's head.

We know what this is all about. Focusing on our ownership allows the media and our enemies to distract from the real problems in the game.
Your last para says it all Colin for me.
So much corruption and double standards in the world let alone football but if they can get the media to focus on just one scapegoat all else will be left well alone.

Hubris, arrogance and greed take over whilst they point the finger at City and its owner(s).

It remains to be seen how far our owners will go to identify and deal with those who still want to continue a war.

My closing thoughts on this topic, and I really hope that this now forms part of City's past and not future, is that support for Manchester City does not equate to support for the UAE state.

Amnesty International and the human rights lobby including large elements of the media took up a position that Manchester City were a soft power play by the UAE state. Manchester City fans were accused of being gullible and prepared to back the UAE state politically because of our ownership e.g. we were accused of taking side in 'spying' disputes but in my opinion it's rather the other way around. Influential media organisations like the Guardian allowed their hostility towards the UAE to colour their opinion of the technical dispute between UEFA, G14 clubs and Manchester City to such an extent that they ignored the evidence.

I think every person should be more conscious and aware of the world we are part of. Militarism, conflict, refugees etc are matters which concern us all and I really appreciate the concerns of liberal critics who are moved by these issues. Nobody should be immune but in my opinion the underlying causes of such problems stem from the activities of states like the USA, the UK and France. That does not mean we should be supportive of conservative regimes like the UAE. Imo the UAE is trying to evolve and advance and build a knowledge based economy, but that doesn't mean I should worship our owner. If you look at where the UAE is going politically it is pragmatic and is willing to establish relationships with China . If anyone is guilty of political naivety it is not Manchester City supporters but our critics in the Guardian and media who support the political model of Great Britain and the Commonwealth.

Just a question on that - have Amnesty ever actually said anything about Manchester City? I've not scoured everything, but have they just said "the UAE govt are complicit in XYZ", with that then being used by hacks to infer things.

My closing thoughts on this topic, and I really hope that this now forms part of City's past and not future, is that support for Manchester City does not equate to support for the UAE state.

Amnesty International and the human rights lobby including large elements of the media took up a position that Manchester City were a soft power play by the UAE state. Manchester City fans were accused of being gullible and prepared to back the UAE state politically because of our ownership e.g. we were accused of taking side in 'spying' disputes but in my opinion it's rather the other way around. Influential media organisations like the Guardian allowed their hostility towards the UAE to colour their opinion of the technical dispute between UEFA, G14 clubs and Manchester City to such an extent that they ignored the evidence.

I think every person should be more conscious and aware of the world we are part of. Militarism, conflict, refugees etc are matters which concern us all and I really appreciate the concerns of liberal critics who are moved by these issues. Nobody should be immune but in my opinion the underlying causes of such problems stem from the activities of states like the USA, the UK and France. That does not mean we should be supportive of conservative regimes like the UAE. Imo the UAE is trying to evolve and advance and build a knowledge based economy, but that doesn't mean I should worship our owner. If you look at where the UAE is going politically it is pragmatic and is willing to establish relationships with China . If anyone is guilty of political naivety it is not Manchester City supporters but our critics in the Guardian and media who support the political model of Great Britain and the Commonwealth.
And never forget: we, the City fans are "rats".

Interesting quote from an interview with Ceferin published today in Slovenia. Here's the link to the full article (in Slovenian) :

"Basic integrity is very important here, I'm talking about football officials and I will not enter Slovenian political waters. People who are in certain positions must be completely independent, they must give the appearance of independence and they must not be influenced by anyone, at all. Especially not by people who could benefit in any way from their actions, "emphasizes the most influential Slovenian, Aleksander Čeferin.
Sounds like he’s distancing himself further from the G14 there

I always find it interesting that “human rights” are banded about as though its only a problem in certain countries. Human Rights Watch issued their 2020 overview a while ago. The list of countries is long and takes hours to go through, very few places not mentioned and some have many instances of abuse. It’s available on hrw.org some people who throw accusations at City should read what their owners countries get up to. Glasshouses and stones springs to mind.

after see this week news (sorry) a little click page on the bbc web site that was gone in a flash ? said wolves have been found guilty of breach of FFP rules and fined £600.000 and a squad reduction of 23 from 25 if they play european football next season, its clear the hate for manchester city runs deep

this is what manchester city are up against. 1st the punishment by uefa ?? manchester city did the same thing in 2014 and was hit by a £49 million fine and squad reduction ? 2nd a major witch hunt in the media and tv in which its stills running deep in 2020, and when a leaked fake hacked email from 2014 case was release in the media ? uefa did not even care if it was fake ? and slapped a 2 year ban and another £35million fine without doing their home work and read their own rules about being time barred ?

manchester city said to uefa that it was lies and untrue and knew about the time barred ? but uefa was having none of it and its was them not manchester city that pushed and city closed shop on them and rightly so

so for not working with uefa and not handing over the document about city figures we get a £10 million fine ??
wolves £600.000 fine for breaking FFP rules and city £10 million for being innocent and not guilty and standing our ground ???

Last edited:
They’ve been trying to whip this up with the media since last week

Thanks - not quite going as far as saying that City were involved.
Certainly implying it for the hard of thinking.

It is a local group though, and it just looks like a publicity stunt rather than AI-official position.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.