Casual staff at City - club confirm they will be paid

Why would they mention City? The story is about how football players should take pay cuts and they have used examples of clubs players who have taken pay cuts and the clubs seeking government assistance to pay wages. Neither applicable to City, thankfully in relation to the former.
If you'd bothered reading the story it's actually about furloughed non-playing staff and how players taking cuts could pay them 100% of their wages instead of the government paying 80%. Or did you read the story and decide to ignore that bit?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52120578

If you'd bothered reading the story it's actually about furloughed non-playing staff and how players taking cuts could pay them 100% of their wages instead of the government paying 80%. Or did you read the story and decide to ignore that bit?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52120578

I did read the story. The only clubs they have cited are ones taking pay cuts, so not sure why City would be cited. If I have missed something please feel free to explain?

I agree with the basic principles of the article. Football clubs who are all willing to blow 10s of millions on players and have multi-million wage bills are a disgrace if they cannot stretch their resources to take care of relatively low paid administrative and support staff. The Government’s furloughing scheme may have been aimed at the lower tiers of football but I doubt they had Spurs, Newcastle or any PL club in mind. I think this highlights the absolute moral bankruptcy of modern day football. When this pandemic is over I honestly think football’s boom will be well and truly be over and the combined efforts of the clubs and the media have laid bare just how bloated, out of touch and in the wider scheme of things how irrelevant football really is to the majority of us. Personally, I find it morally absurd that so many ‘front line’ NHS staff earn circa £10 an hour but we pay footballers sums that simply cannot and should not be justified under any circumstances. Listening to pundits and reading the nonsense in the press about how football perceives itself and this ridiculous obsession with finishing a season when thousands are dying tells me that football and me need to go our separate ways... enough is enough.

I agree with the basic principles of the article. Football clubs who are all willing to blow 10s of millions on players and have multi-million wage bills are a disgrace if they cannot stretch their resources to take care of relatively low paid administrative and support staff. The Government’s furloughing scheme may have been aimed at the lower tiers of football but I doubt they had Spurs, Newcastle or any PL club in mind. I think this highlights the absolute moral bankruptcy of modern day football. When this pandemic is over I honestly think football’s boom will be well and truly be over and the combined efforts of the clubs and the media have laid bare just how bloated, out of touch and in the wider scheme of things how irrelevant football really is to the majority of us. Personally, I find it morally absurd that so many ‘front line’ NHS staff earn circa £10 an hour but we pay footballers sums that simply cannot and should not be justified under any circumstances. Listening to pundits and reading the nonsense in the press about how football perceives itself and this ridiculous obsession with finishing a season when thousands are dying tells me that football and me need to go our separate ways... enough is enough.
Not so sure, Musicians, actors, artists , sportsmen have alway been paid huge amounts of money compared to most people , especially front line emergency services. Maybe people will push governments into better rewards for these people, I hope so.
However after this people, including nurses, health professionals all of us will want to get back to the life we had before. Personally can’t wait to go to football again, go ad see some bands, eat out in restaurants, and I’m sure the vast majority will be the same. Maybe give us a better perspective but we will go and those that entertain us will still be extremely well paid and rewarded for it.
Agree about this finish the season nonsense though there will be a time and a place for it to come back.

Not so sure, Musicians, actors, artists , sportsmen have alway been paid huge amounts of money compared to most people , especially front line emergency services. Maybe people will push governments into better rewards for these people, I hope so.
However after this people, including nurses, health professionals all of us will want to get back to the life we had before. Personally can’t wait to go to football again, go ad see some bands, eat out in restaurants, and I’m sure the vast majority will be the same. Maybe give us a better perspective but we will go and those that entertain us will still be extremely well paid and rewarded for it.
Agree about this finish the season nonsense though there will be a time and a place for it to come back.

You are absolutely right the people you have mentioned always did earn more but how much more did Bobby Moore or Colin Bell earn than a Nurse - yes probably 5 to 10 times as much. Today the likes of Sanchez are earning more in a month than your average NHS employee will earn in their entire career - that’s so fucked up. I’d hope that society might revisit its priorities... just think where care workers and super market workers were in the grand scheme of things a few months ago... begrudgingly given a minimum wage but stripped up decent pensions, most have had sick pay removed, are forced to work, nights, weekends, bank holidays etc with no pay premium and many are on zero hour contracts... politicians can blow smoke up these employees arses all they want in a crisis but these people need to valued and remunerated properly.

You are absolutely right the people you have mentioned always did earn more but how much more did Bobby Moore or Colin Bell earn than a Nurse - yes probably 5 to 10 times as much. Today the likes of Sanchez are earning more in a month than your average NHS employee will earn in their entire career - that’s so fucked up. I’d hope that society might revisit its priorities... just think where care workers and super market workers were in the grand scheme of things a few months ago... begrudgingly given a minimum wage but stripped up decent pensions, most have had sick pay removed, are forced to work, nights, weekends, bank holidays etc with no pay premium and many are on zero hour contracts... politicians can blow smoke up these employees arses all they want in a crisis but these people need to valued and remunerated properly.
I agree completely with your general point, I just don’t expect those footballers or any entertainer to be taking big pay cuts, and many do good things with their money.
What I want to see from this is society to pressure the government into rewarding those groups you mentioned properly. If that means taxing these footballers more ,fine. When the government say they can’t pay the public sector more it won’t wash anymore.
For me though a It hasn’t made me want to give up football or paying to see any of the highly paid entertainers I enjoy.

Reactions: nmc

Think even back in 1990, Niall Quinn was earning £800 a week with us. A lot of money at the time yes but not earth shattering.

Football has become a monster and the bubble will burst at some point. Maybe this is the start of it.

I would be all for a salary cap in football to give every club the same opportunity and to see some younger players get the opportunity. Clubs at the top will never agree to it though.

In 2008 everyone was saying we'd never go back to the days when City (not Man City) workers would "earn" millions by shifting other people's money around on computers. And they were responsible for the crisis and providing zero entertainment. But a few months later they were boasting that bonuses were back and nothing changed apart from austerity for the rest of us. Maybe this time it'll be different but don't hold your breath

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.