Celtic confirmed for August 8th friendly at COMS

Not a fixture I would have picked, I can't really get my head around it, are perhaps the other leagues in Europe starting early(due to the world cup next year)?? I mean spot the odd one out Porto, Valencia, AC Milan and Celtic??????? The club is looking for a higher world profile and you go from playing 3 world class teams in a row to Celtic I really must be missing something.

DontLookBackInAnger said:
Not a fixture I would have picked, I can't really get my head around it, are perhaps the other leagues in Europe starting early(due to the world cup next year)?? I mean spot the odd one out Porto, Valencia, AC Milan and Celtic??????? The club is looking for a higher world profile and you go from playing 3 world class teams in a row to Celtic I really must be missing something.

My point exactly.
But remember that you musn't question Celtic in any way shape or form.

RobbieBrewer said:

My point exactly.

I'm not in any way addressing or wanting to insult Celtic, they are what they are, and I'm sure they give their fan base great enjoyment. I am only questioning City and their reason for picking this opponent.

We don't get world class teams in this fixture.

We got Barcelona, the year after they failed in the league and were in the Uefa cup with us.

We got AC Milan (minus Kaka and a few stars), the year after they failed in the league and were in the Uefa cup with us.

Olympicos (minus Rivaldo), Porto in post Mourinho delcine, Valencia all number maker-uppers in the CL, same as Celtic.

The difference is Celtic will bring a good amount of fans so there might be an atmosphere at this one for a change. Not a bad move.

svennis pennis said:
Obviously picked as they will be goal fodder.

Honest to christ, I think we need some mature posters on this forum instead of the uneducated teenies writing absolute garbage about a club they have no knowledge of. I'm not sure how the opposition are selected and who has the final say but given the time of the year, that being it's near the end of the Scottish summer holiday and more or less the beginning of the English holidays, Celtic are one of only a handful who will bring a decent crowd. They have been awarded approximately 6,000 tickets and there is no doubt that there will be some in the home end as well. I will be in the home end through choice.

With regards to the line of pevious opposition like Valencia, Porto, Lazio, Milan etc let's examine that in more detail. Valencia have been in decline for about 4 years following their domestic and European success in the early millennium. With the exception of the last 2 seasons Porto have been pretty much the same as are Lazio who have done very little since none other than SGE won them the title in 2000. Milan can still attract bigger name players but again over the last couple of seasons have finished 4th and 5th in Serie A meaning they have been in the UEFA Cup instead of the Champions League. A common theme amongst them all is that they would bring literally a few hundred fans only. Hardly a big draw to Eastlands is it? They all have a bit of nostalgia from past glories and so do Celtic.

Scottish football is poor, however there will be a good capacity crowd at this game, and a competitive edge to it for a friendly. It is supposed to be entertaining, but what would you rather, this type of fixture or some latin types strolling around for 90 minutes with 20,000 in attendance?

RobbieBrewer said:

My point exactly.
Sorry but of course you can question Celtic,infact if you want you can get this thread closed before Sunday.

CelticBhoyCityBlue said:
svennis pennis said:
Obviously picked as they will be goal fodder.

Honest to christ, I think we need some mature posters on this forum instead of the uneducated teenies writing absolute garbage about a club they have no knowledge of. I'm not sure how the opposition are selected and who has the final say but given the time of the year, that being it's near the end of the Scottish summer holiday and more or less the beginning of the English holidays, Celtic are one of only a handful who will bring a decent crowd. They have been awarded approximately 6,000 tickets and there is no doubt that there will be some in the home end as well. I will be in the home end through choice.

With regards to the line of pevious opposition like Valencia, Porto, Lazio, Milan etc let's examine that in more detail. Valencia have been in decline for about 4 years following their domestic and European success in the early millennium. With the exception of the last 2 seasons Porto have been pretty much the same as are Lazio who have done very little since none other than SGE won them the title in 2000. Milan can still attract bigger name players but again over the last couple of seasons have finished 4th and 5th in Serie A meaning they have been in the UEFA Cup instead of the Champions League. A common theme amongst them all is that they would bring literally a few hundred fans only. Hardly a big draw to Eastlands is it? They all have a bit of nostalgia from past glories and so do Celtic.

Scottish football is poor, however there will be a good capacity crowd at this game, and a competitive edge to it for a friendly. It is supposed to be entertaining, but what would you rather, this type of fixture or some latin types strolling around for 90 minutes with 20,000 in attendance?
I'm not trying to attack your club, but its your view your a bigger draw(or as big a draw)as AC Milan, Valencia or Porto?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.