Celtic thread 2020/21

I've been saying this for ten years. It's not a knee-jerk reaction to last year, it's knowing last year was coming and our board did their best to hasten it. 9 out of the last 12 CL we have missed by never being prepared and going cheap on useless bastards.
Yet the majority of your fellow supporters were more concerned with securing ten titles in a row, which no top European team has ever done, than building a team for European success. If your board pandered to the masses and gave them nine years of solid success, can its members really be faulted?

Yet the majority of your fellow supporters were more concerned with securing ten titles in a row, which no top European team has ever done, than building a team for European success. If your board pandered to the masses and gave them nine years of solid success, can its members really be faulted?
Yes of course. They failed 9 out of 12 times to qualify for the CL against shit because we were complacent and lacked ambition. Over £400m lost to save a few bob. That has caught up with is to the extent we have been overtaken with a club who went bust and has got by on loans. That is criminal negligence.

Yes of course. They failed 9 out of 12 times to qualify for the CL against shit because we were complacent and lacked ambition. Over £400m lost to save a few bob. That has caught up with is to the extent we have been overtaken with a club who went bust and has got by on loans. That is criminal negligence.
Rangers suffered similar setbacks when they were competing in Europe. A common theme in Scotland is that clubs inexplicably regard themselves as superior to other European teams, the complacency you mention, yet when it comes to the pitch, these other teams regularly prove technically superior and progress to the next round. Aberdeen, Hearts, Motherwell, St Johnstone, and Hibs have all crashed out to teams you might describe as 'shit'. Perhaps seeing them first as equals if not superior would be a step in the right direction.

Rangers suffered similar setbacks when they were competing in Europe. A common theme in Scotland is that clubs inexplicably regard themselves as superior to other European teams, the complacency you mention, yet when it comes to the pitch, these other teams regularly prove technically superior and progress to the next round. Aberdeen, Hearts, Motherwell, St Johnstone, and Hibs have all crashed out to teams you might describe as 'shit'. Perhaps seeing them first as equals if not superior would be a step in the right direction.
We don't think we are better than Euro teams. We know we aren't, what we do know is we are bigger clubs than most who end up knocking us out. That is down to bad leadership, bad recruitment and not enough ambition. Well, that's us at least.

We don't think we are better than Euro teams. We know we aren't, what we do know is we are bigger clubs than most who end up knocking us out. That is down to bad leadership, bad recruitment and not enough ambition. Well, that's us at least.

You described the Euro teams you lost to as 'shit'.

'Bigger' does not necessarily mean better footballing teams. The quality of football hasn't improved enough in Scotland for the teams, Celtic included, to make meaningful progress in Europe. The moment they face teams that are physically fitter and can move the ball at speed, they struggle, so unless something gives and the technical quality of domestic football improves, sporadic success is about all that can be expected.

You described the Euro teams you lost to as 'shit'.

'Bigger' does not necessarily mean better footballing teams. The quality of football hasn't improved enough in Scotland for the teams, Celtic included, to make meaningful progress in Europe. The moment they face teams that are physically fitter and can move the ball at speed, they struggle, so unless something gives and the technical quality of domestic football improves, sporadic success is about all that can be expected.
It's my Tourettes. I like saying shit. I hear what you are saying because it's fucking blindingly obvious. The problem is our board don't get it. That's why I'm fucked off. Not that they are better than us, but we allow them to be by signing players who are shit. See, I used it again.

Why target him and someone like Howe then? How did they play under Rodgers?

That's what Howe is known, for above all. Otherwise, sounds like Fat Sam may be a better fit.

Anyway, I don't think that's going to faze Ange. Going through Asian backwaters, playing in horrible conditions on dog tracks against parochial national crowds for hit and run missions will have toughened him enough to handle trips around Scotland.

They targeted Howe & Rodgers because of the total package. They were both known to play decent football, but more importantly, they were names that have a good reputation in English football, they were highly rated fairly young progressive coaches, & therefore could help satisfy & galvanise a demanding support.

Attacking, attractive football is great. Winning football is more important though. Martin O'Neil played a different style of football to Rodgers, ask @Magicpole who is held in higher regard.

I hear your skepticism and I'm not going to pretend i know anything about your list or whats available for whatever budget.

What I do know is that this bloke knows the game. He knows what he wants and can turn a bunch of average players into a decent team.

Absolutely he won't bring in any Australians we are probably at our weakest level in decades, and I'd be very surprised if he brought in any Japanese either.

If he does get the gig I think he surprise many, but I do agree time will be his enemy and he won't get any second chances, and CL is probably gone.

There's two that play for Hibernian - Boyle and Irvine. Not sure how good they are, never really watched them play.

If he brings in players like Ryan and Mooy, they can count themselves lucky. Players like Leckie, Sainsbury, Brad Smith, Mabil are probably good enough too.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.