Centre Back Combination

IBlue said:
I thought Nastasic did well, perhaps lacking a physical presence that Lescott brings at the moment. Also think Kompany's bad form is the constant changing of partner and system.
Vinny is constantly getting on the wrong side of his man, hence the needless free kicks and booking he keeps picking up. Last nights booking has cost us his services in Ajax.

warringtonblue said:
IBlue said:
I thought Nastasic did well, perhaps lacking a physical presence that Lescott brings at the moment. Also think Kompany's bad form is the constant changing of partner and system.
Vinny is constantly getting on the wrong side of his man, hence the needless free kicks and booking he keeps picking up. Last nights booking has cost us his services in Ajax.

Agree with you there, i don't know why he is trying to nick the ball on the half way line, twice last night he got turned. Just get tight and make the forward knock it off and get back, job done

Nastasic made 100 passes. More than any other City player. That's quite something for a 19 year old.

The biggest problem is Kompany at the minute. He is out of form.

cccc said:
Nastasic made 100 passes. More than any other City player. That's quite something for a 19 year old.

The biggest problem is Kompany at the minute. He is out of form.
As a team we made nearly twice as many passes as the Germans, how many of these were decisive defence splitting passes?
I would estimate 500 out of the 641 we made were in our own half and mostly sidewards due to their impressive closing down

I really like the look of Matijah.

But quite clearly Vincent and Joleon are the best combination. They bring thr best out of each other. They are a partnership. They come as a two.

danburge82 said:
I really like the look of Matijah.

But quite clearly Vincent and Joleon are the best combination. They bring thr best out of each other. They are a partnership. They come as a two.

I think so, too. Nastasic looks a real prospect, could be an absolute gem. But breaking up the Kompany-Lescott (+ Hart) partnership has destabilised us. Yes, Vinny has been poor (as he was early last season), seems to be trying to do 'too much', in many respects - i.e. trying to do too many impressive things, nicking the ball in front of strikers etc., rather than concentrating on what he did for the final three quarters of last season, which was to barely make a mistake - always more important for defenders. But he'll obviously come through it - far too good a player not to. Dropping him would be extremely counter-productive, I think.

And Lescott still gets a bit of a raw deal from a lot of people. No doubt Nastasic is a more natural ball-player, but he still gave it away a lot last night, and it is too easy to say Lescott can't pass, would be exposed by high pressing etc - plenty of occasions when he coped last year. And I'm not sure where the idea has come from that he's made mistakes this season - aside from barely playing, I can only think of the Arsenal goal where you might say he could have done better, but he was largely left powerless by someone (Garcia?) completely misjudging the header at the near post. Can't recall any others?

IMO we must get back to Kompany, Lescott. Vinny looks to me that as he is the captain he has responsibility to look after other players and he is not concentrating on his own game. He is ball watching, losing his runner and trying to win balls he cannot win, giving free kicks away and getting booked.
Lescott was fantastic last season, he is Englands centre back and he has been replaced by a 19 year old still learning . Big decision this.
It always been a gimme that young centre backs start at full back when they make the first team and as Nas has a good left foot there maybe an argument for him to play at left back as for one Kolarov doesnt track back quick enough, and if Clichy shits out of tackles he could also lose his place.
We also need Gareth Barry sat in front, so need him fit and ready soon.
Saying all this, I will always get behind us and even with 5 minutes to go last night I thought we may still get a goal because thats what good teams do.
Them Rag bastards have done it for years."We're Man City, we'll fight to the end".

Kompany and whoever plays at right back are the main problems at the moment imo.

Nastasic was clearly the better of the two CBs last night, and at 19, looks an amazing prospect. I think he's ready to play at this level, so he should get all the opportunities he can.
Kompany's been the main problem so far, and I don't think it's as simple as saying he should be playing beside Lescott - he's played badly alongside Lescott this season, too.

And I think the RB is the problem - ok, Maicon was owned by Tranny, so was Zaba. But Zaba was also out of position quite often yesterday - way forward, and that must really freak Kompany out. He has occasional flashes of brilliance, and usually recovers well, but I'd rather have a cast iron back four again, even if it means the FBs don't get forward quite as often. The problem is that no one else in the team is expected to provide that width.

Everyone of our centrebacks plays with confidence next to Kompany but Kompany himself plays with confidence when Lescott is next to him, they need to start together as much as possible.

People are right to say there's an imbalance in midfield, but at the same VK has been poor in nigh on every game this season.

Nastasic has been our best Centre-Back this season, dropping him makes no sense when he's clearly not the problem. If VK is truly one of the best defenders in the world then he can adapt to playing with a new partner IMO.

But to be honest I think Kompany needs a shot across the bow, been our weakest link defensively for maybe 3 consecutive games now, and I think he needs to feel he's got something to prove again.

I'd start Lescott and Nastasic against Sunderland, but it will Be Kompany and Lescott. Vincent is running out of time for his poor form to keep being ignored.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.