Centre back options

The alderweireld rumour is the most exciting of the summer for me. He looked outstanding last year and I'd rather us land him than Sanchez as I think we have decent forward options already.

Spurs are already playing hard ball over Walker. Can't see this as credible.

Maybe, just maybe, his comments were aimed at the centre backs we have, you know, to give them a manager boost. Install a bit of confidence into them. No one likes to be told that their position could do with an improvement.

The truth of the matter is, we were weak in the whole of defence last season including goalie. The full backs were either too inconsistent, injured or not adapting well to what Pep wants from them. The defence looked a lot better when Kompany returned at the back end of the season. This might have had something to do with Pep's words and them getting used to his ways but it also shows that without our captain's organisation skills and leadership qualities we were worse off.

Could we survive another season with an injury prone leader, 2 other central defenders and a fill in? Maybe. Should we if a player comes along that fits the bill? No.
As you can see, in not opposed to acquiring a CB, in just not of the belief that its the weak link.

Yes our defense was better with Kompany. Because Kompany is a very good footballer. But last year the strongest part of that weak defense was CB. Even without Kompany.

So when people say what we 'need' is a CB. I correct them by saying the facts suggests of greater needs are GK, LB, RB, and then Forward or more generally 'finishing' which could apply to more than just the forwards.

You should be banned for that. :-)
Lol. I swear I've always liked him but couldn't say it coz he was a rag. I think he has a few errors in him but he is a very good athlete and ball possessor. Has good recovery speed. And he is a Kompany like menace in the opponents box on corners.

I'll certainly take him over Marvin's Sahko...Yuk! :)

Isnt Mangala the same player??
Sakho plays as if he's measuring every pass.

I want to believe in the secret cb but not sure I do. A scenario could be that we have a deal in place with a club but that club needs to get in a replacement?

It's possible City have good reason to think Kompany is over the worst, or that Tosin is ready, but we hardly gave him a game last season. For me centre back was one of the positions I really thought City would prioritise - maybe we have and we just don't know it yet, or maybe Pep thinks we've already got it covered. All the same can't help but have doubts about this position.

Lol. I swear I've always liked him but couldn't say it coz he was a rag. I think he has a few errors in him but he is a very good athlete and ball possessor. Has good recovery speed. And he is a Kompany like menace in the opponents box on corners.

His form has dropped off a cliff over the last 18 months. Talk to any reds and they would be ecstatic to offload him to us for 15m.

In terms of depth and strenght. Only the core of David Silva, Debryune and Gundogan were stronger than our CB core.And yet our first signing was at AM/WF. Which is quintessential counterintuitive Pep smart thinking. Pep doubled down on our strongest posituon. Sure, If we could get Hummels, or Varane of course this would be great and probably another example of doubling down on strengths
Bad example. AM/CM was our most glaring weakness after Gundogan's injury as we had only one player fitting the demands (D.Silva), I've been writing about it for months. B.Silva is the most important transfer of this summer as he'll allow us to get total pressing and proper control back. No offence, but Pep's [very straight] thinking doesn't become counterintuitive just because you don't understand the basics of his game. Don't invent things, please.

No, I wasn't being serious. I think he had a good season for palace. He's an effective defender. I'd prefer him over Stones in the short term though. Stones really needs to get his act together this season. I can see he has got all attributes but he has to do it this season.

Sakho plays as if he's measuring every pass.

I want to believe in the secret cb but not sure I do. A scenario could be that we have a deal in place with a club but that club needs to get in a replacement?

It's possible City have good reason to think Kompany is over the worst, or that Tosin is ready, but we hardly gave him a game last season. For me centre back was one of the positions I really thought City would prioritise - maybe we have and we just don't know it yet, or maybe Pep thinks we've already got it covered. All the same can't help but have doubts about this position.
Yeah I think **if** the secret CB is true its one of the 3 Juve back line. Apart from that theres nothing much better than what we have that a club will let go.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.