Centre-back

Dunno if he's been mentioned but Eric Dier.

Now hear me out, he's 19, plays for Sporting Lisbon and has a £4.2m buy out clause. He can play as a CB, RB or CDM. We could use him as a squad player and he would come very handy in defensive areas when needed. By the time hes 25, Kompany will be 33 and we will be looking for replacements, Dier could be our man.

Unless he's shit or Chelsea get him as he is being linked with them today.

It seems pretty clear to me that City went after pepe.

The only reason for this would be the board / management do not think Nastasic or the squad is good enough and Pepe would not want to be sat on the bench.

If that is the case then where is the plan B? Scratching around looking at buying other teams free transfers is no where near the same standard of player. Hope this decision to potentially put all our eggs in the pepe bascket doesn't come back to haunt us. It would be a shame after such a good window that we throw the season away because we have no quality cover at CB a position were it's known Kompany has injury issues.

LoveCity said:
BringBackSwales said:
LoveCity said:
Aren't you forgetting our own 18-year-old lefty who's considered a real talent and could save us millions? :)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en/news/462/netherlands/2013/08/21/4202447/rekik-in-line-for-netherlands-debut-as-sneijder-misses-out?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en/news/462/netherl ... um=twitter</a>

yeah but....isn't he on loan for the season and hence unable to save us a few millions right now?

Yeah, but the poster said to sign 1 experienced and 1 young central defender. Signing the young central defender would be pointless if Rekik is going to be something. Sign the experienced defender by all means but don't block the path of Rekik in favour of a kid who hasn't played outside of South America yet. Boyata (or Micah) can be the 5th choice central defender this year after we add an experienced CB.

But are you sure he's going to be something? He played 1 game at LB last year. Was good but that's 1 game and not at CB. I don't think we should hold possitions for players on the hope they turn out. I'd like to have more in the piepline to give us better odds that 1 turns out to be a player. You can't have enough quality CH's. Every club in the world is looking for them.

Mr. Aguia said:
LoveCity said:
BringBackSwales said:
yeah but....isn't he on loan for the season and hence unable to save us a few millions right now?

Yeah, but the poster said to sign 1 experienced and 1 young central defender. Signing the young central defender would be pointless if Rekik is going to be something. Sign the experienced defender by all means but don't block the path of Rekik in favour of a kid who hasn't played outside of South America yet. Boyata (or Micah) can be the 5th choice central defender this year after we add an experienced CB.

But are you sure he's going to be something? He played 1 game at LB last year. Was good but that's 1 game and not at CB. I don't think we should hold possitions for players on the hope they turn out. I'd like to have more in the piepline to give us better odds that 1 turns out to be a player. You can't have enough quality CH's. Every club in the world is looking for them.

He's playing in the Champions League (and played well against Milan with Mario + Shaarawy) and has been called up by the Netherlands. Surely his immediate credentials are better than a Colombian at River Plate who we might not even be able to get a work permit for because he has 0 caps? Blocking the progress of a talented kid by spending more money on someone not very proven either seems in direct conflict with our holistic vision.

Mr. Aguia said:
LoveCity said:
BringBackSwales said:

Rekik had a very good loan spell at Portsmouth and was one of the EDS's best players, he had a poor spell at Blackburn as the managment constantly played him at left-back, out of position. He is now out on loan at PSV where he seems to be coming into his own, he has had 3 brilliant games already and one of them came against a Milan side with Balotelli, El Shaarawy and Kevin-Price Boateng. Due to his recent form at PSV, he has been called up for the Netherlands national side. I'd say he has as good a chance as anyone of making it to our level for anyone at his age.
He is

we have got to sign a centre back!

Surely everybody else thinks this. As well as we played against Newcastle, if we play with Garcia and lescott at centre back against the rags, there is no way we won't concede. Problem is, I don't see us buying one. The only two we have been linked with is pepe and demichellis, anyone else want to throw some names in?

Re: we have got to sign a centre back!

Funnily enough there's a thread about 5 down called, wait for it.....

"Centre Back"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.