Centre-back

Re: we have got to sign a centre back!

others CB we can have a look at are godin mangala otamendi or garay.. from that list i'll take garay

if only someone would have thought about this before and created a thread.

MihaiCity said:
others CB we can have a look at are godin mangala otamendi or garay.. from that list i'll take garay
Were the rags not after garay a while back? Interest seems to have waned then

Joe hart's itchy scalp said:
MihaiCity said:
Were the rags not after garay a while back? Interest seems to have waned then

yes they were but i don't think they are interested on him atm..i think a 16-20M offer and we can have him

Vlad Chiriches a lad we were linked with at the start of the window, is on the move media seem to think spurs but he has been linked with a lot of clubs around Europe, so it could be anyone his agent said he was meeting us but nothing else was mentioned about it, maybe we were able to keep this on the downlow?

LoveCity said:
Mr. Aguia said:
LoveCity said:
Yeah, but the poster said to sign 1 experienced and 1 young central defender. Signing the young central defender would be pointless if Rekik is going to be something. Sign the experienced defender by all means but don't block the path of Rekik in favour of a kid who hasn't played outside of South America yet. Boyata (or Micah) can be the 5th choice central defender this year after we add an experienced CB.

But are you sure he's going to be something? He played 1 game at LB last year. Was good but that's 1 game and not at CB. I don't think we should hold possitions for players on the hope they turn out. I'd like to have more in the piepline to give us better odds that 1 turns out to be a player. You can't have enough quality CH's. Every club in the world is looking for them.

He's playing in the Champions League (and played well against Milan with Mario + Shaarawy) and has been called up by the Netherlands. Surely his immediate credentials are better than a Colombian at River Plate who we might not even be able to get a work permit for because he has 0 caps? Blocking the progress of a talented kid by spending more money on someone not very proven either seems in direct conflict with our holistic vision.

How can he block the progress of Rekik when Rekik is playing for PSV? Unless you think we should cancell his loan spell. I don't get this idea that people have that we can only have 1 prospect in the club. That somehow they won't be able to develope if they have to compete with each other. It seems to work OK for Barca. They have talented youth players at most every position, don't play much and still seem to develope just fine(see Thiago). Having good young players compeeting for spots is a very good thing.

Mr. Aguia said:
How can he block the progress of Rekik when Rekik is playing for PSV? Unless you think we should cancell his loan spell.

Rekik will be back next year and if he keeps this form up, in the first team squad. What do we do with this new 'lefty' then, flog him after one year? It's easy to say they can compete, but you're not going to get three players competing for one position when all three of them are young and hungry for games - one of them would be the odd man out and seldom playing.

I don't get this idea that people have that we can only have 1 prospect in the club. That somehow they won't be able to develope if they have to compete with each other.

We have dozens of prospects at the club, but Rekik is at that stage where he is one step away from becoming the first player from City's youth system to properly break through in years, which will be a major step forward in the 'holistic' self-sustainable vision this club has.

Right now we have Nastasic and Lescott as left-footers in the first team squad and Rekik in his major development year. The natural progression is to promote Rekik next year when Lescott's contract expires, rather than spend a few more million on someone who, as I've said, we'll unlikely get a work permit for as he is uncapped and doesn't hold dual nationality. If we didn't have a MAJOR youth prospect just called up for the Netherlands aged 18, then I'd be all for adding another young prospect in that position. But sometimes it's just buying for the sake of buying and I think this would be it, a bit like adding a third first team right-back. It's right-footed central defenders we're desperately short on right now.

As well as Rekik I also believe our other 18yr old centre half,Jason Denayer,will soon be knocking on the door.

Both have fantastic potential.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.