Centre-back

BlueDejong said:
MCFC BOB said:
@NipHolmes - Baines wouldn't want to come here. Clichy will be our first choice until the day we sign either Marcelo, David Alaba or Jordi Alba.

Haha...Marcelo, Alaba, Alba impossible, impossible
That's my point. Baines would be a pointless signing because Clichy's a top-quality left-back that deserves to be first choice.

short contracts seem to be a la mode at PSG

Defender in last contract year ideal for Man City to cover Nastasic

Matija Nastasic is a doubt for the start of the season because of an ankle injury

Matija Nastasic’s ankle injury in the final of the Asia Trophy has left Manuel Pellegrini a defender light for the start of the season and Manchester City could do worse than make a bid for Mamadou Sakho from PSG.

Man City remain 9/4 to win the Premier League despite the setback and there is a strong possibility that Pellegrini may be tempted to dip back into the transfer market one more time, despite the arrivals of Fernandinho, Stevan Jovetic, Alvaro Negredo and Jesus Navas.

Nastasic is expected to at least miss the Premier League opener with Newcastle at the Etihad, which Man City are 2/7 to win, and for now it would seem that Joleon Lescott will play alongside Vincent Kompany at the heart of the defence.

Real Madrid’s Pepe is one name that has been linked with Man City after losing his place to Raphael Varane last season, but Carlo Ancelotti may have bigger first-team plans for the Portugal international.

Another option for Man City is Sakho, who only has a year to run on his contract at the French champions and could easily see himself shunted down the pecking order at PSG after the recent big-money arrival of Marquinhos. Fellow defender Thiago Silva is also expected to sign a contract extension in August, as the club begin to switch focus towards players currently at the club.

Marco Verratti has already extended until 2018, with talks underway with Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Sakho, Blaise Matuidi and Jeremy Menez are thought to be next, with the trio all out of contract at the end of this season. Liverpool are an alternate option for Sakho, but there has been some speculation that the Frenchman is no longer on the radar of Brendan Rodgers. Meanwhile, with Sakho and Daniel Agger both left-footed, this partnership may not prove the ideal scenario for Rodgers in any case.

Sakho’s strengths are in his aerial dominance and passing success, so he would be a solid acquisition for either Premier League outfit.

<a class="postlink" href="http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/defender-in-last-contract-year-ideal-for-man-city_165586.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/footbal ... 65586.html</a>

Getting Sakho would be great, but maybe we should look for a right footed CB, and not another left footed? After Kolo left, Kompany is our only right footed CB.

Sakho is nowhere near good enough cover for Nastasic. We have a similar defender in Richards. Only defender who would better Nastasic (realistically) is Pepe.

Anyone here who follows Bundesliga? What about Schalke's Howedes?

A mate of mine was raving about him last year, stating that he should be regular in the German National team....Is he worth a shout??

Cobwebcat said:
As well as we've done in the transfer market, and we really have, we most needed a central defender and still do, injuries or not.

Ok certain players can play there as cover, but not for the whole season.

It's an obvious gap and selling clubs will be aware of that as the window nears its end. I hope we move quickly and cleverly as we have done so far and play a couple of clubs off against each other.

It's interesting that Pelle said we haven't finished in the market but now says we might be. It's a bit late now to take that back and isn't fooling anyone.

There was always one more to come, and still is, but now other clubs are more aware of it.

At least it keeps the board alive as the only other remaining business will be selling Sinclair, unless someone ITK can tell me I'm wrong. I don't believe Kolarov is going.

When did he say this?

Outlaw said:
Anyone here who follows Bundesliga? What about Schalke's Howedes?

A mate of mine was raving about him last year, stating that he should be regular in the German National team....Is he worth a shout??

Really good player. I don't think he'd come here knowing that playing time would be limited though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.