Centre-back

Vermaelen hasn't been good enough for 2-3 years now and is no better than Lescott. He would be cover at best

Bluewonder said:
Vermaelen hasn't been good enough for 2-3 years now and is no better than Lescott. He would be cover at best

I think we need cover in the short term as well as a world class centre back to partner Vinnie. Last season I think we were very lucky to manage the centre back situation with Vinnie's suspension/injuries. That was with Lescott in the squad and Micah as cover. I accept that Sagna might provide some cover but we want to be competing as a top team in Europe and if that is the case we need to bolster our centre back options. Vermaelen for 8m and a world class centre back alongside Kompany would make us very competitive indeed on all four fronts next year. Adding Sagna to support Zabaleta is a masterstroke and Fernando will give added protection to the defence as well as allow Yaya to go forward more. Get a quality back up for Joe and we are cooking with gas. Come on you blues !!!!

Monkchester said:
Bluewonder said:

I think we need cover in the short term as well as a world class centre back to partner Vinnie.

One top class CB should be enough, I think.

1. Kompany
2. New partner
3-4. Demichelis
3-4. Nastasic
5. Garcia
6. Sagna
7. Boyata

(assuming Rekik goes out on loan and Denayer isn't promoted)

Kompany's hamstrings have been dodgy too and we have to expect 2-3 spells without him per season, so the addition of a top drawer CB (not second or third tier like Vermaelen, who is no better than Demichelis) is very important this summer.

LoveCity said:
Monkchester said:
Bluewonder said:

I think we need cover in the short term as well as a world class centre back to partner Vinnie.

1. Kompany
2. New partner
3-4. Demichelis
3-4. Nastasic
5. Garcia
6. Sagna
7. Boyata

Kompany's hamstrings have been dodgy too and we have to expect 2-3 spells without him per season, so the addition of a top drawer CB (not second or third tier like Vermaelen, who is no better than Demichelis) is very important this summer.

Very good analysis on the assumption that we do not 'park the bus' by playing all seven at once. Mind you, if we did, we might not need Hart (or new GK).

LoveCity said:
Monkchester said:
Bluewonder said:

1. Kompany
2. New partner
3-4. Demichelis
3-4. Nastasic
5. Garcia
6. Sagna
7. Boyata

It doesn't have to be Vermaelen but still think we could do with more true centre back cover not just someone who can fill in for a couple of games. Pellegrini said he wanted two for every position - so four quality centre backs - sure that Nastasic and Rekik will be that in a few years time but for now we want to make that step up to compete with the best in Europe and that means having top quality proven players covering for those injuries and suspensions that we are bound to get. At least Vermaelen plays with Vinnie at international level and so would settle in easily when called upon but I agree that we need a world class CB to partner our captain.

Guys, sounds like City have plans for Rekik.....could he start next to Kompany?

City Watch ‏@City_Watch 8m
VI: Karim Rekik has been told by City to report to training in July, loan not currently being considered. Could be in City's 1st team squad.

City Watch ‏@City_Watch 7m
Rekik has said he wants plenty of matches next season so a loan still a possibility, but the Dutch report says for now City want him back.

Mancitybluemoon1 said:
Guys, sounds like City have plans for Rekik.....could he start next to Kompany?

City Watch ‏@City_Watch 8m
VI: Karim Rekik has been told by City to report to training in July, loan not currently being considered. Could be in City's 1st team squad.

City Watch ‏@City_Watch 7m
Rekik has said he wants plenty of matches next season so a loan still a possibility, but the Dutch report says for now City want him back.

Too early.

Rekik's recall is a tad odd given he will have at least two,maybe three,or more..... players in front of him already? So are we now not signing the top quality we need or does the boss just want to get an initial,close up look at the lad before then deciding his immediate future?

FantasyIreland said:
Rekik's recall is a tad odd given he will have at least two,maybe three,or more..... players in front of him already? So are we now not signing the top quality we need or does the boss just want to get an initial,close up look at the lad before then deciding his immediate future?
He hasn't been recalled, his loan finished at the end of the season. We are just deciding on whether another loan would be beneficial or if we need him next season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.