CFG Expansion | Başakşehir to join? (p70)

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but good news and bad news for fans of our Chinese club Sichuan Jiuniu. We won the league last year (China league one) and were promoted to Chinese Super League for the first time.

However seems as though the CFG have done an MK Dons, and moved the club from Chengdu to Shenzen (1700km away). There was a team from Shenzen last season but they were dissolved, so looks like we've decided it's a better market (probably is). The team has been renamed Shenzhen Peng City.

This wasn't the first attempt to move. Apparently, they tried to relocate last year to Hunan Province in central China but were knocked back by the Chinese FA. I presume they had an eye on Changsha, the capital, which has a population of 10 million and a team only in the third tier.

They were certainly the poor relations in Chengdu. The average home gate during the promotion season last year was below 3,000, while the local rivals pulled in around 34,000 per match in the top flight. It's sad for the small band of diehards, but Chengdu as a whole will barely notice they've gone, I reckon.

CFG have got lucky with the Shenzhen team going bust, it seems. As the only major club in a fast-growing market with Hong Kong on the doorstep, there must be potential now to develop a club that can entrench itself as one of the biggest in China.

This wasn't the first attempt to move. Apparently, they tried to relocate last year to Hunan Province in central China but were knocked back by the Chinese FA. I presume they had an eye on Changsha, the capital, which has a population of 10 million and a team only in the third tier.

They were certainly the poor relations in Chengdu. The average home gate during the promotion season last year was below 3,000, while the local rivals pulled in around 34,000 per match in the top flight. It's sad for the small band of diehards, but Chengdu as a whole will barely notice they've gone, I reckon.

CFG have got lucky with the Shenzhen team going bust, it seems. As the only major club in a fast-growing market with Hong Kong on the doorstep, there must be potential now to develop a club that can entrench itself as one of the biggest in China.
Shenzhen Peng Sheng Yuan Electronics will be no more!

Be interesting to see whicvh manager takes over and what recruitment looks like. Tricky place to recruit.

GF2fRWDa4AAunyQ.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.