Champions League 2023/24 - Last 16 Draw | City v Copenhagen | Tues 13th Feb (A) Weds 6th March (H)

Pick the 8 teams you think will go through

• Total voters
I see the new CL format involves 8 games, 4 home and 4 away which stretches the league format into January. But finishing in the top 8 puts you into the last 16 and avoids a play-off. So rather than 6 x group games and then 7 more games to win the tournament (13 in total) you'll play at least 15 to win it or potentially 17. Exactly what's needed!

Positively at least you'll get 2 teams from each pot drawn together as part of the league phase. So we'll have a few more interesting games to play earlier in the competition potentially.
The only problem with this is Matchday 7 and 8 being played in January during the EPL winter break and between the break and the FA Cup 4th round. After a heavy schedule culminating in the Christmas/New Year games January can be a month to recharge the batteries. With League Cup games also scheduled for January it’s almost imperative to get knocked out of that competition early to avoid injuries and burnout.

Something has to give and the criteria for which teams are selected to play each other from each pot could involve some dodgy coefficients still based on historical 5 year performance that included games from the Europa and Conference competitions.

Also, if a team has qualified for the last 16, (guaranteed top 8) after say 6 games will all Managers really go full tilt in the final 2 matches when it could severely affect other teams chances of qualifying? I doubt it, scenario: Rags or Dippers are on the cusp of qualifying, we are already guaranteed a place top 8, we play a team competing with them to qualify, we’d be not too arsed if we got beat and if we did with a weakened team there’s going to be all kinds of accusations. Two legged play offs in February as well just a week or so before the knockout round starts.

The CL round games should finish like they do now then on the back burner until February. The new format has some legs but it’s been badly thought out in my opinion, especially the timing of the games.

Last edited:
Premier league not quite as strong as some think, only two sides in the knockout stages
It’s the most competitive I think even though the Rags and Newcastle failed to qualify, the difficulty of the Premier League takes its toll.

The Spuds and Villa are doing well this season and would arguably have done better than the two knocked out of the CL, however with 6 extra games would they have done a Raggy?

It just shows how well we have done to compete in Major Tournaments over the years, the CL is not an easy trophy to win, I’m guessing The Tarquins have had more chances than us and at a time when the PL was a duopoly and they’ve still not won the CL. Doffs cap to Pep.

Also, if a team has qualified for the last 16, (guaranteed top 8) after say 6 games will all Managers really go full tilt in the final 2 matches when it could severely affect other teams chances of qualifying? I doubt it.

What they hope will encourage teams to keep going right to the end is there is no draw for the knockout stages.

It is all based on seedlings, which are established entirely on the group stage results.

Obviously it doesn’t always work out that way but in theory finishing as high as possible in the original group table, should give you an easier passage to the final. Finishing first or second for example, will ensure you play all knockout second legs at home.

Premier league not quite as strong as some think, only two sides in the knockout stages
The league itself is very strong, it's just that some English representatives have underperformed this year and last year in different competitions. There's no question Liverpool would have made it through their group this season but they weren't good enough in the league itself in 22/23 despite reaching the knockout rounds in the Champions League. Their place has been taken up by Newcastle who over-performed in 22/23 and have had loads of injuries this year so a strong start to the groups has sort of fizzled out - and to be fair, Newcastle were basically a dodgy penalty from nicking a big result in Paris. Plus you've got West Ham and Brighton and Liverpool all flying in the Europa League, and Villa going through in the Conference League.

United's showing has been really shoddy though. Lol.

What they hope will encourage teams to keep going right to the end is there is no draw for the knockout stages.

It is all based on seedlings, which are established entirely on the group stage results.

Obviously it doesn’t always work out that way but in theory finishing as high as possible in the original group table, should give you an easier passage to the final. Finishing first or second for example, will ensure you play all knockout second legs at home.
I wasn’t aware of that, not seen it on UEFA’s website. So you’re saying, a team that finishes first in the 36 team league continuous plays the lowest seeded team in each of the last 16, quarter finals and Semi’s with the second legs always at home? Plus the rule whereby a team from the same nation can’t play each other is also out?

Those poor UEFA freeloaders will be missing out on a couple of all expensive paid jollies to do the draws, I’m sure they’ll find a reason to call a meeting somewhere in Europe that has 5 star hotels and Michelin starred restaurants.

Apparently, the rags and geordies exiting completely from Europe puts fifth place in this season’s PL qualifying for next season’s revamped CL in jeopardy.
The surviving English clubs across all three competitions will need strong showings in the knockout stages to ensure England’s coefficient stays high enough to get the extra slot.

I wasn’t aware of that, not seen it on UEFA’s website. So you’re saying, a team that finishes first in the 36 team league continuous plays the lowest seeded team in each of the last 16, quarter finals and Semi’s with the second legs always at home? Plus the rule whereby a team from the same nation can’t play each other is also out?

Those poor UEFA freeloaders will be missing out on a couple of all expensive paid jollies to do the draws, I’m sure they’ll find a reason to call a meeting somewhere in Europe that has 5 star hotels and Michelin starred restaurants.

Not quite as you say. Top seed isn’t guaranteed to always meet the lowest ranked seed left, like in the NFL. It’s more like tennis or darts, where the path is predetermined and you can plot ahead who you are most likely to meet in upcoming rounds. Like those other sports, the table is in two separate halves. So from as soon as the last 32 is known, you will know for a fact that you can’t meet 16 of them until the final.

And yes, for your second point. The knockabout path is 100% determined on where you finish in the group. So previous opponents and same counties is irrelevant.

Although not sure if they’ve got some plan for when countries at war, or who don’t get on very well, might be due to meet?

The only restrictions are on the group opponents. They say they will try and keep teams from the same country away from each other. But for countries with five, or theoretically even six, teams, they can’t guarantee it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.