Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

May have already been answered so apologies but is there any benefit to finishing 1st or 8th?

I assume through to the last 16 with a home game in the 2nd leg. Is it just purely financial beyond that?

My next question would be what usually gets you 8th? 16 points? 2ppg? Avid FM players might be better positioned to answer that.

Be interesting to see how Pep approaches it, he usually goes strong but I could see him putting a couple of League Cup sides out if finishing 1st or 8th has no additional incentives.

I wonder whether top sides are even arsed about finishing 24th if they can essentially rest players for 8 games and start in the playoff round.

May have already been answered so apologies but is there any benefit to finishing 1st or 8th?

I assume through to the last 16 with a home game in the 2nd leg. Is it just purely financial beyond that?

My next question would be what usually gets you 8th? 16 points? 2ppg? Avid FM players might be better positioned to answer that.

Be interesting to see how Pep approaches it, he usually goes strong but I could see him putting a couple of League Cup sides out.

I wonder whether top sides are even arsed about finishing 24th if they can essentially rest players for 8 games and start in the playoff round.
I believe the knockout stages are seeded, so 1st and 2nd would avoid each other until the final.

Not 100% sure on that though!

"The draw will start with Pot 1, assigning eight opponents to all nine teams, one after the other, and will continue with the other pots in descending order until all teams have been assigned their eight opponents. The software will guarantee total randomness within the framework of the draw conditions stipulated by the regulations (e.g. country protection and no more than two opponents from the same country), while guaranteeing that the draw can be completed for all teams without resulting at any point in a deadlock situation."

So pot 1 draw decides which two other pot 1 teams we play. Then pot 2 draw decides who plays the pot 2 teams (two each from pot 1 and pot 2). Then pot 3 draw decides the pot 3 teams' opponents from pots 1/2/3. Then pot 4 draw just decides the pot 4 teams' opponents in each pot. I think.

"Even though the teams will know all their opponents by the end of the draw, the fixture list with match dates and kick-off times will be elaborated afterwards and announced on Saturday 31 August, to ensure no calendar clashes with teams in UEFA Europa League and UEFA Conference League playing in the same cities."

So you know all our opponents by 6pm this evening... but you could be watching a game on Saturday when you find out when you play and where. Everyone at a game trying to book flights...

Last edited:
I believe the knockout stages are seeded, so 1st and 2nd would avoid each other until the final.

Not 100% sure on that though!
Yes looks like there will be some pairings based on finishing league position:

"In the knockout phase, the teams that finish between 9th and 16th will be seeded in the knockout phase play-off draw, meaning they will face a team placed 17th to 24th – with, in principle, the return leg at home. The eight clubs which prevail in the knockout phase play-offs will then progress to the round of 16, where they will each face one of the top-eight finishers, who will be seeded in the round of 16.

To strengthen the synergy between the league and knockout phases, and to provide more sporting incentive during the league phase, the pairings of the knockout phase will also be partly determined by the league phase rankings, with a draw which likewise determines and lays out the route for teams to reach the final.

From the round of 16 onwards, the competition will continue to follow its existing format of knockout rounds leading to the final staged at a neutral venue selected by UEFA
."

Still not sure that's a big enough incentive between 1st and 8th though. If 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th are paired on one side and 2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th on the other, you're still getting strong teams on either side.

Would love us to draw Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid & Bayer Leverkusen. Home or away, we destroy them all convincingly.

Seeding only in round of 16. Top 8 can draw any of bottom 8 (after the play offs).

I believe he's right in that some teams will be paired based on finishing league position to be on the opposite side of the draw. Don't know whether that will be just 1st and 2nd or 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th on one side and the evens on the other side.

Be interesting to see how Pep approaches it, he usually goes strong but I could see him putting a couple of League Cup sides out if finishing 1st or 8th has no additional incentives.

Top 8 automatically qualify for the round of 16. 9th-25th enter a playoff round for the other 8 spots.

Round of 16 is seeded so 1st plays 16th 2nd plays 15th and so on so it is beneficial to get in the top 8 as hopefully you'll get an easier draw.

Ive done a few simulations on FM and the 8th place side gets between 14-17 points

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.