Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

I know you have quoted "group stage" but there's another 16 play off games after the initial League phase, groups don't count anymore. I think this is where the problem lies, 4 extra games for those teams in 9-24th position is an absolute killer especially if it concerns a team from the most competitive league in Europe, the Premier League.

The Competition could have been a 36 club Champions League League, split into 3 x 12's for coefficient purposes, use the criteria we're now following, each team plays one home and one away from each seeded group, total 6 games, top 12 go through, next 8 play off. That should have proved exciting up to match day 6, with 8 match days there's going to be a lot of dead rubbers with the top teams already qualifying, there will be some shenanigans as teams already through rest their players.

England's teams wi be disadvantaged as there's games in January after a busy December schedule and no mid winter break next season. Depending on our CL position in the League format we may have to play a second string in the FA Cup and the League cup will have to be forfeited from match one by playing an out and out EDL team, no point in not doing so, get the EDL Manager to take care of the game as well.
Would we get fined for playing weaker teams, if not that will soon be brought in by the FA to discourage it

Hard one to call really. The staggering success uner Pep in the league has probably impacted negatively on our performance in the CL and FA Cup which has been comparatively inferior.
In the early years we were outstanding in the LC so that kind of debunks your theory. Clearly the most recent disaster at Wembley was at least in part caused by the supreme effort in the last two months of the season to overcome the dippers and gunners.
The Madrid results really do my head in, particularly two years ago, a collapse not fully erased by the thrashing we gave them last season. Fine margins have fallen in our favour 3 or 4 times now in the final stages of the league and I would argue that maybe good fortune has not smiled upon us in the later stages of cups.
The other thing is that during the period Madrid have won 6 CL they have won just 4 La Ligas.
They've not been anything like as dominant domestically as we have.
Not sure you can have both.

Hopefully the CL won’t be boring again next season when City win it for the 2nd time instead of Real Madrid winning it for the 16th time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.