Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

Current pots assuming team with highest coefficient wins each qualifier.

View attachment 120831

Teams in bold are definitely in the group stage, others have to qualify.

Might change slightly if Dortmund win tomorrow (Frankfurt would go from Europa League into Champions League).
Sorry if this has been covered earlier in the thread, but is there any advantage to having a high coefficient and being in pot 1? If we play 2 teams from pot 1 anyway, it looks to me like we've spent years building the best coefficient in Europe only for them to change the rules to make it irrelevant. Or am I missing something?

Sorry if this has been covered earlier in the thread, but is there any advantage to having a high coefficient and being in pot 1? If we play 2 teams from pot 1 anyway, it looks to me like we've spent years building the best coefficient in Europe only for them to change the rules to make it irrelevant. Or am I missing something?
If you're only good enough for pot 2 or lower then you also have to face more clubs better/equal to you

I'm old enough to remember the annual dirge when the dippers supposedly dominated. The last half hour of every away leg was spent passing back to Clemence. That was when they only had to play a few no marks before getting to the final.

So the so called 'Champions League' has been an improvement on that. Been some great games and upsets. Just don't think this new league format will make it any better.

But if City win it, I ain't complaining!

If you're only good enough for pot 2 or lower then you also have to face more clubs better/equal to you
If we were in pot 2 we would face 2 teams from pot 1, same as now. In fact they could be the same 2 teams. I'm not seeing any difference.

38 tough, physicsl games as opposed to 4, 6 or 8 depending on the inferior league.
None if PSG.
Far more difficult for English sides to dominate consistently.
Can't have it all ways I suppose - interest in the league every week or just light prep and resting of players in an uncompetitive league.

If we were in pot 2 we would face 2 teams from pot 1, same as now. In fact they could be the same 2 teams. I'm not seeing any difference.
By definition of being in pot 2 we wouldn’t be as good as we are now, so we’d be up against it playing the two teams from pot 1!

A better way to look at it is that we will have 6 games against teams in pots 2,3 and 4 who we will expect to beat home or away. Two extra games against the other pot 1 teams shouldn’t really make a difference to the likelihood of us finishing in the top 8.

Conversely the teams in pot 4 will be hoping to take points from their games against other pot 4 teams as they will be facing an uphill task in the other games.

It’s going to be a bit weird getting used to the new format but a change was probably overdue.

I'm old enough to remember the annual dirge when the dippers supposedly dominated. The last half hour of every away leg was spent passing back to Clemence. That was when they only had to play a few no marks before getting to the final.

So the so called 'Champions League' has been an improvement on that. Been some great games and upsets. Just don't think this new league format will make it any better.

Back in the seventies with those legendary nights at Anfield, i was watching youtube recently of some of their games back in the day, the ground is literally half empty.

I don’t remember any of the games being shown live apart from the final?

Back in the seventies with those legendary nights at Anfield, i was watching youtube recently of some of their games back in the day, the ground is literally half empty.
posted this a few years ago, see link below

Magical European night attendances at Klanfield

30/09/1981 European Cup Oulu Palloseura Anfield 20,789
04/11/1981 European Cup AZ 67 Alkmaar Anfield 29,703
03/03/1982 European Cup CSKA Sofia Anfield 27,388
28/09/1982 European Cup Dundalk Anfield 12,021
02/11/1982 European Cup HJK Helsinki Anfield 16,434
16/03/1983 European Cup Widzew Lodz Anfield 44,494
28/09/1983 European Cup BK Odense Anfield 14,985
19/10/1983 European Cup Athletic Bilbao Anfield 33,063
07/03/1984 European Cup Benfica Anfield 39,096
11/04/1984 European Cup Dinamo Bucharest Anfield 36,941
03/10/1984 European Cup Lech Poznan Anfield 22,143
24/10/1984 European Cup Benfica Anfield 27,733
20/03/1985 European Cup FK Austria Memphis Anfield 32,761
10/04/1985 European Cup Panathinaikos Anfield 39,488

http://lfcstats.co.uk/europeanattendancesbyhomegame.html

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.