Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

posted this a few years ago, see link below

Magical European night attendances at Klanfield

30/09/1981 European Cup Oulu Palloseura Anfield 20,789
04/11/1981 European Cup AZ 67 Alkmaar Anfield 29,703
03/03/1982 European Cup CSKA Sofia Anfield 27,388
28/09/1982 European Cup Dundalk Anfield 12,021
02/11/1982 European Cup HJK Helsinki Anfield 16,434
16/03/1983 European Cup Widzew Lodz Anfield 44,494
28/09/1983 European Cup BK Odense Anfield 14,985
19/10/1983 European Cup Athletic Bilbao Anfield 33,063
07/03/1984 European Cup Benfica Anfield 39,096
11/04/1984 European Cup Dinamo Bucharest Anfield 36,941
03/10/1984 European Cup Lech Poznan Anfield 22,143
24/10/1984 European Cup Benfica Anfield 27,733
20/03/1985 European Cup FK Austria Memphis Anfield 32,761
10/04/1985 European Cup Panathinaikos Anfield 39,488

http://lfcstats.co.uk/europeanattendancesbyhomegame.html
Apart from the shit crowds, no wonder they won so many in that era.

Hard to qualify for granted but piss easy to win.

The European Cup and CL is like comparing apples and oranges.

posted this a few years ago, see link below

Magical European night attendances at Klanfield

30/09/1981 European Cup Oulu Palloseura Anfield 20,789
04/11/1981 European Cup AZ 67 Alkmaar Anfield 29,703
03/03/1982 European Cup CSKA Sofia Anfield 27,388
28/09/1982 European Cup Dundalk Anfield 12,021
02/11/1982 European Cup HJK Helsinki Anfield 16,434
16/03/1983 European Cup Widzew Lodz Anfield 44,494
28/09/1983 European Cup BK Odense Anfield 14,985
19/10/1983 European Cup Athletic Bilbao Anfield 33,063
07/03/1984 European Cup Benfica Anfield 39,096
11/04/1984 European Cup Dinamo Bucharest Anfield 36,941
03/10/1984 European Cup Lech Poznan Anfield 22,143
24/10/1984 European Cup Benfica Anfield 27,733
20/03/1985 European Cup FK Austria Memphis Anfield 32,761
10/04/1985 European Cup Panathinaikos Anfield 39,488

http://lfcstats.co.uk/europeanattendancesbyhomegame.html
Lived in Liverpool for 5 years and had just moved there in 82.

Was at the Dundalk and Odense games, awful atmosphere although I do recall Liverpool fans cheering for Odense towards the end as they were so shit.

The Kop also had scousers on it back then.

Straight two legged knockout every tie, you have to go for it, everyone in the pot.that would make it very exciting

This. How it used to be. Won't happen though.
No, but it has to be suggested every six months, and at least three times every time a revamp of the tournament is mentioned.
It's as tedious as celebrating 40 points with our current squad.

Straight two legged knockout every tie, you have to go for it, everyone in the pot.that would make it very exciting
The huge TV money would disappear overnight so consequently neither UEFA nor the participating clubs would be remotely interested.
There was a spate of early round ties in the late 80s when leading contenders were drawn against each other. The most famous was when Maradona's Napoli met Real Madrid in the 1987-88 first round. The broadcasters pretty much demanded a format change as they felt they weren't getting anything close to value for money from the competition and that's how the Champions League first took shape.
Not taking sides - just pointing out the realities of modern football.

The huge TV money would disappear overnight so consequently neither UEFA nor the participating clubs would be remotely interested.
There was a spate of early round ties in the late 80s when leading contenders were drawn against each other. The most famous was when Maradona's Napoli met Real Madrid in the 1987-88 first round. The broadcasters pretty much demanded a format change as they felt they weren't getting anything close to value for money from the competition and that's how the Champions League first took shape.
Not taking sides - just pointing out the realities of modern football.
I was been a bit sarcastic tbh I know exactly why they’d never do it, imagine Real having an off day and getting knocked out early doors every few seasons there’d be uproar.

Real have been very lucky over the last three seasons , knocking us out twice whilst being totally outplayed , cant wait until next season when we play them again there luck is gonna run out.
They might be Champions of europe now but ourselves and Leverkusen are better football teams , even Mbappe isnt going to make a difference , they are fine going forward but defensively they are shocking , if they played in the Premier league they wouldnt qualify for the conference league.

Honestly, I think you're overstating it. They would be in top four, and definitely competing for the title. What they wouldn't be doing is walking it virtually every year that Barca don't walk it. That's the difference with the league we play in. It's rare that anybody walks it. We did in 17-18, and Liverpool did in the covid season. Otherwise it's very tight, and a fight up till the end.
Overall, I now find myself quite conflicted. I have always said — and will always stand by it as a principle — that the PL is far and away the most important competition to win. Precisely because of what has just been specified above.
What's now bothering me — considerably — is that this City team, under Pep, should now be holding four winners medals of the CL. We shot ourselves in the foot twice against Madrid, and once against Chelsea. Over the last five or six years, there isn't the slightest doubt in my mind that City have been the best team in Europe.
If next season is to be Pep's last, I would very much like him to go out as a second-time CL winner with City. That would match his record with Barca. He deserves it, the team deserves it. It's not that important for me, but it is for them.

Sorry if this has been covered earlier in the thread, but is there any advantage to having a high coefficient and being in pot 1? If we play 2 teams from pot 1 anyway, it looks to me like we've spent years building the best coefficient in Europe only for them to change the rules to make it irrelevant. Or am I missing something?
When we won the league in 2012 we were placed in Pot 2, they then changed it to Champions automatically went in Pot 1.

Then we went out on away goals to Monaco and Spuds, rule changed and we go out to Real Madrid last season.

It's not been kind to us

When we won the league in 2012 we were placed in Pot 2, they then changed it to Champions automatically went in Pot 1.

Then we went out on away goals to Monaco and Spuds, rule changed and we go out to Real Madrid last season.

It's not been kind to us
They will be bringing in a rule that any team that wins the PL four times in a row automatically enters the Europa League.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.